Playing digital downloads through my stereo

edited November 2011 in General
I've researched this in the past and seem to come up pretty much empty. It would seem to me by this time that there should be a relatively cheap standalone audio component that would integrate with my existing home stereo setup that I could connect an HD full of MP3's and be able to listen to them through the stereo amplifier/speakers. In essentially the same fashion as they have CD players, Tape Decks, Equalizers, etc.... I don't want to play through my TV or through my Mp3 player jacked into my stereo or streaming from my PC (I guess that would be an option - but ideally I'd like to remove the PC from the playback picture entirely... use it to download but not require it to be running just so I can play tunes on my stereo in the other room. Am I just not getting today's technology and should I be thinking about this in a totally different fashion?

The only things my previous research really turned up were the Logitech Squeezebox/Touch/Duet items. I can't remember exactly what the deal was when I looked into those but they didn't seemed to quite fit the bill. Maybe I'm missing something there... Do any of you have a setup that you use to listen to your downloads over your home stereo system that you'd be willing to share and provide some pros/cons about?

I guess with a collection of Mp3s on an HD the biggest trick becomes track selection and navigation so whatever is used would have to provide a remote with a screen or some facility to browse/search and select items to play.

Anyway... I have tons of stuff that I'd love to listen to over a real stereo system and not the crappy $15.00 speakers I currently have hooked up to my PC.

Any comments, input, feedback, pushback, throwbacks, shoutouts or shoutdowns much appreciated.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I got a monster cable and hooked my iPod to the AUX ports on myTV's home theatre system. That gave me much better sound than the PC speakers.
    I also have a portable speaker dock for the ipod, to use in rooms upstairs or downstairs (away from the TV room).
  • The solutions I'm familiar with involve either streaming from your PC (Squeezebox et. al.) or setting up a "Media PC" that lives amongst the AV components.
  • I went through the exact same process. Maybe I missed something, but the easily-navigated hard disk audio component for thousands (or tens of thousands) of MP3s just doesn't exist - there are plenty of hard disk audio components with terrible navigation, the Squeezebox has good navigation but it's expensive and (if I'm not mistaken) requires an running computer anyway. You can connect any USB hard disk to a "smart" TV, but all of those have terrible navigation too - the people who design smart TVs seem to think people are only going to plug little 2GB USB sticks into them with no more than 4 albums on them. Any more than a dozen albums and they're unusable.

I spent months deciding, but what I ended up doing is sort of what Katrina does - I got a really long cable, a 160GB iPod Classic, and a dock, and the dock sits next to the chair I usually listen to music in so that I can see it without hooking the dock up to a TV. I'll eventually fill up the iPod Classic, but the added benefit of being able to take it anywhere I go (including out of the house) was the deciding factor, really.

The sad fact of it is, the 160GB iPod Classic remains a unique piece of consumer technology, even after what, 10 years? Nobody else has managed to build something that's that small, that easy to navigate, and has that much storage capacity - not to mention is supported by that many accessory manufacturers. It's actually a niche product, for the extremely small number of people in the world who have enough MP3 data (that they actually might want to listen to) to fill up a 160GB drive, and Apple has dominated the niche for so long, I don't think anyone else can make any money competing with them for it. Microsoft tried with the Zune, and being Microsoft, they fell flat on their faces with it - and even the Zune didn't hold 160GB.

Anyway, I guess that's why we don't see similar products out there.
  • I'm in the process of upgrading/updating my home audio system, and this is a big deal for me since I (like probably most of you) have many gigabytes of downloaded music files that I'd like to play on my main system. I currently use the simple iPod dock through the AUX connector solution, but my long-term plan is to have an external hard drive with all my music files hooked up to a computer, which will connect to a DAC (digital to analog converter). The DAC will connect to my receiver, then I can use iTunes or whatever media management software I prefer to control the music files on the external HD. The beauty of that setup is that I'll be able to control everything with a smartphone app. I just took the first step in the upgrade process (new receiver) but the computer audio portion of the system will be next, hopefully first half of next year.
  • I just connect my ipod to my stereo system via a lead - the system has a socket on the front for mp3 connection. A friend uses a Bose dock - brilliant sound, but expensive. For superb sound something like that with an ipod 160 Gb seems the answer to me, Once you fill the ipod, buy another!
  • We went the route of making a Mac Mini our home entertainment system: HDMI to the TV and audio to the stereo. Like Katrina said, sounds better than PC speakers and we have the benefit of being able to watch whatever we want from iTunes to YouTube.
  • "the easily-navigated hard disk audio component for thousands (or tens of thousands) of MP3s just doesn't exist - there are plenty of hard disk audio components with terrible navigation"

Yeah, one thing I tried was Tivo. You can publish your itunes library to Tivo, but the on-screen TV navigation is laughable and I don't think it's my wireless network.

Roku has a little $49-$99 unit that is supposed to be great for streaming movies. There is an add-on from MP3Tunes that will let you play itunes through it for $69. However, I tried MP3Tunes years ago and it took months, I think, to upload my iTunes library to their servers.

So I'm sticking with my ipod and monster cable.
  • I have to echo the iPod rec. if you have an ipod touch, iPhone or iPad and a Mac, you can use a free app, Remote, to control the music on your computer. Sometimes I wish I could invert the controls (Control ipod via Mac) Otherwise, I've long wanted a remote that I could use to switch music on an iPod and honestly just have a long audio cable hooked up to my stereo that goes over to my chair.
  • edited November 2011
    Well, this feature just ended all hesitation on my part. All I need is a second mortgage and someone to tell me what the heck it is.
    Oh snap, then you need this to put the stereo in.
    And, more pertinent to the answers at hand, what is this baby?
  • edited December 2011
    Well I just ordered a (refurbished) Logitech Squeezebox Duet Wi-Fi Internet Radio with Hand-Held Controller from dailysteals.com for $179.99 + 4.99 s/h. Since I'm getting this I guess I won't be getting a ukulele for Christmas this year as originally planned. Hopefully it's not money wasted. This thing seems like the simplest most straightforward solution to my immediate desire to listen to my digital music purchases on my stereo.

Since my original posting I stumbled across this which would look at home with my other stereo components but would require using the TV as a monitor when playing music off the local HD (or connected USB drives) (and, IIRC, would require some other piece of equipment to actually hook into my current receiver). I also realized that they're now making and selling receivers with internet connectivity... wasn't sure how I would actually get that to work (getting music from it current location on my PC to the receiver) (and besides that, I didn't want to replace my perfectly good receiver just to have the added internet connectivity a new one would afford).
  • So here's my village audio idiot question of the day - preface being I have a Monster splitter to hook up the iPod docking station (moderate end Philips, deal of the day - sounds OK, couldn't convince myself to cough up for the Bose) to an RCA cable to a spare input on the aging but otherwise perfectly capable stereo receiver - so the question is : is there any higher fidelity to the stream that would come wirelessly from the Mac desktop via Airport Express hooked to the stereo (were I to invest in one) than there is to the output from an iPod/docker cabled to the receiver? The docker has the advantage of being able to use a remote to navigate. This is asked in the interest of science, and to keep me from lying awake at night contemplating the existential. Blessed be the knowledge givers.
  • Blessed be the knowledge givers

Not me BDB!! I agree with your comment about Bose though. A few years ago I happened to have a Bose set up in a second hand car I bought - brilliant sound quality. I've tried to convince myself several times to buy a Bose ipod dock, but never felt quite ready to do so, there's always a bigger demand upon the cash!
  • Airport Express would just be the same signal transmitted over Wi-Fi, so unless your receiver has an HDMI, DVI, or optical (TOSlink) input for that, it would still go through some sort of DAC (digital-analog converter) before it gets to your ears. So, probably no difference, really. In fact, with streamed audio I doubt you could hear much difference even with a digital connection to the stereo.

Pursuant to earlier posts in this thread, I just got myself a SmartPhone, and since I have to carry it around pretty much all the time anyway, what I'm probably going to try doing next is to hook up a desktop PC to the stereo and use the SmartPhone as a wi-fi remote control for iTunes on the PC, with the iPod Classic as the storage device. Hopefully I can figure out how to control a speaker-selector the same way so I can have multiple zones with non-powered speakers, but if not, I guess I'll manage! I'm a bit dubious on the idea of iTunes and a SmartPhone-remote app handling several thousand tracks, but apparently other people do it and they apparently get by well enough.

Wish me luck...
  • I'm a bit dubious on the idea of iTunes and a SmartPhone-remote app handling several thousand tracks, but apparently other people do it and they apparently get by well enough.

For the past couple of months I've been slowly ripping my entire CD collection to an external hard drive in Apple lossless format. Huge PITA, but I'll probably be done in another few weeks. At this point, including downloaded MP3s, I've got over 35,000 tracks in my iTunes library, and the Apple Remote app works just fine with iTunes to control it all. Right now that external HD is connected to my computer, but once I finish ripping I intend to buy a Mac mini that will be used as a standalone music server. The HD will connect to the mini, which will connect to the receiver through an exernal DAC. Then I can put the CDs away.
  • Why do I have the feeling by the time I catch up to you guys, you will be on to something newer and better? Meanwhile, I recently got the iPhone 4 and am delighted to find it streams like a champ from the "music computer" in the basement. Especially great since less than half of my library fits on the iPod Classic these days.
  • Doofy, just so you don't feel bad, this is my stereo, on the rare occasions when I'm not using earbuds:

AirCurvePlay_hero.jpg

Can iPhone stream from a PC? I'd find that useful.
  • edited January 2012
    amclark, apparently it can, because that's what mine is doing, much to my delight. I have heard you need the iPhone 4 to do this. (ie, last year's model [which is what I have] or later...not sure the 3G can do it)

ETA, I do not even know what that thing is in your picture!
  • edited January 2012
    It's a Griffin Aircurve; an acoustic amplifier for the iPhone. It doesn't rattle the walls, but it's easy cheap and convenient. But then I found after buying it that putting the iPhone in a bowl magnifies the sound almost as much, although depending on the size, shape and material of the bowl, you may get some distortion or reverb, which may or may not be a bad thing.

So how do you do this streaming thing? just an outline, not step by step. I used to be ok at figuring this stuff out, but I don't even know where to start.
  • Here's where I found it: link
    This is built in to iOS 4.3 now.

In iTunes enable "Home Sharing" (Goto Preferences->Sharing->Enable "SHare my library on my local network").

In your iPhone, goto Settings-> iPod and enable your apple id/password in the Home Sharing section.

Now open the iPod app on your iPhone and click More. There should be a "Shared" menu option, which lists your iTunes Libraries. You can stream to your phone and control itunes from your phone..

HTH.
  • Cool, thanks!
  • Shouldn't you be able to do it via Apples' Cloud, anyway? I know it costs £25 or $25 each year, but it might be worthwhile if it does the job easily
  • Two problems I see there:

1. The Cloud is dependent on a wi-fi or cellular connection, so if the connection goes down, so does the stream. We have Verizon -- my house doesn't get great cellular reception except on the top floor, plus Verizon DSL sucks, so this could be a problem for me.
    2. Unless you have a truly unlimited data plan, I would think that streaming on your cellular connection will eat through your monthly data allowance pretty quickly.

Since everybody presumably already keeps their music library on a home computer or HD, it seems easier to control that with a remote app and use Airport Express or something similar to play wirelessly in other rooms.
  • Right. For me, iPhone streaming is strictly an at-home deal (ie, on my home wireless network). I bought a smart phone/data plan because clients expect you to have full-time access to e-mail these days, *not* for streaming entertainment!
  • I've decided not to go down the Cloud route, as I am unsure what will happen when you stop playing the £25 per year. I'm following this discussion with interest. I live in an old stone built house, long and narrow, so wireless does not cover the whole house, especially as the broadband comes in at one end, and it is not practical to move it. It would be great to get all my music from my computer elsewhere in the house.
  • Can you run a wire through your house from the cable/DSL modem to your wireless router? You can run CAT-5 for well over 250 feet without any appreciable attenuation.
  • Thanks for the suggestion Scissorman, I'll investigate further
  • Has anyone here ever bought one of those Bose Wave units? I've occasionally wondered whether that might be the right direction for one of my living spaces, and I've seen them in other folk's houses, but never really had a chance to try them out with my own music, where I know what it should sound like.

From the price and the company I have an expectation of good sound, but I worry about whether "surprising sound for its size" means more than "will sound better than your $75 ghetto blaster or your computer speakers". Bass and clarity both matter me. Any reports from users, happy or otherwise?
  • GP, I don't have one although I do admit to lust in my heart, but one of my co-workers has one and is absolutely in love with it, I mean smitten. She has a not large space and is impressed with the "big" sound without large volume, which is similar to why I love my Bose 301 bookshelf speakers - big, open, airy sound without everyone in the building having to hear it, and I have to keep the bass down at about 9 o'clock or they would thunder.
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks, BigD. I've come into a modest pot of money, one possible use for which is upgrading the listening equipment in my living room. (That's not certain yet, but one of the avenues I'm mulling over.) I've also looked at the Acoustic Wave thing that costs a bit more. Reading around I'm getting mixed messages: (a) the Bose stuff sounds marvelous, lasts for decades, you'll never regret your purchase; (b) you're paying for the name and all those magazine ads, it's overpriced for the money you can get better stuff.

If anyone else would like to weigh in not just on Bose but one what I maybe ought to take a look at if I wanted to spend, say, $600-$1000 on making music sound better in my living room, I'd be glad to hear any suggestions of systems you have loved. Even if other necessary purchases don't divert the whole plan it will probably take me a while. I'm very hesitant buying this kind of stuff because I don't get to do so very often and I want to be absolutely thrilled with what I get, and not feel like a spent a load of money and can't hear that much difference.
  • If you have $600-1000, you should be buying a nice pair of $200-500 pair of bookshelf speakers that would sound way better than any Bose speakers, plus an ok receiver and cd player if you need it.