December Is National Defrag Month

edited December 2011 in General
Apple people feel free to look away. Just happened to be looking at the external HD where my music is stored and found that I had serious file fragmentation...Not surprisingly, as I am always fussing with tags, etc.

So I am defragging. After that I will defrag the backup drive, which is likely just as bad. The experience reminds me that I need to look into offsite backup...Open to suggestions as to the most efficient/least costly options for that. Any good alternatives for those of use with XXL music collections...100G+?

Comments

• I know I'm supposed to be looking away and don't mean to hijack, but:
    XXL music collections...100G+

I'm honestly curious if anyone here has a library of less than 100G.

Craig
  • Well over and growing by the day! Even if I had a 120Gb ipod it wouldn't be any good for it all - 180 GB would do me for a few more weeks, but a project of mine over the post Christmas period is to replace much of my own CD collection in itunes, which will increase it enormously. When I started digitising my own CD collection it was onto Windows Music Player. Later, when I had an ipod, these got transferred to itunes. So the quality of perhaps a 150+ CDs on my itunes needs at least doubling in memory size, probably more
  • Still defragging...this is going to take a while.

I recently passed 160G and going up up up, esp as I am gradually re-importing some CDs encoded as 128 mp4s back when I was young and dumb. Of course being an eMu subscriber has been a steady source of the increase, but it was really Amie Street that pushed me into the diagnosable range. I still need to go through and weed out the Amie albums...at least a third of it is stuff I never listen to on purpose.
  • "Amie, what you gonna do?
    I was so in love with you."

I never met a free download I could walk away from, at least when you might make a few pennies to buy something else. I miss the excitement of the chase.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm at work and can't view my itunes library, but it wouldn't surprise me if I was under 100. I only use my small monthly allotment on emusic, and I went through a bunch of my impuluse Amie & Amazon purchases (unknown bands I got for free and the 100 Greatest Baroque $1.99 deals) and made a final decision on them. If it was something I like or occasionally listen to, I left it; if it was something I don't listen to but maybe a chance that I might down the road, I burned it to a disc and deleted it from the library; and if it was something I don't listen to, can't imagine listening to any time in the future, and figured that if I burned it to a disc it would just get forgotten forever, then I deleted it from my library.

I've been doing the same thing on cds, too. Trading them in for store credit to buy comics trades.

It just got to where the excess stuff on my shelf and itunes library was burying the stuff that I like but forgot about, preventing me from noticing it in a browse. And now that I'm reviewing albums, it's even more important that I maintain a thin herd.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm at 124 GB, despite not having added quite a few CDs and having weeded fairly regularly. I have got a pretty good working system for revisiting it all in rotations of varying speeds, though. Amie gave me a boost too; joining this board gave me another - finding more free things. Then there's the short but happy fling with Guvera and the intermittent 75 track MTraks month stimulated by the price rises on emusic...
    Lol, I remember in the last 36 hours on Amie searching for the remaining few free albums that had not had remaining recs dumped on them, slapping my remaining recs on them, and making enough last-minute credit to buy most of another album I wanted. Good times.
  • This thread makes me miss frogkopf.
  • edited December 2011
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ87nKgeUXfFwIKosV0Bd6Wnc7kncIlSJQyNVP0j7JqZLzrMSZI

- Frogkopf was last active Jun 17th 2011 - I miss him too . . .
  • edited December 2011
    I also miss Frogkopf...

I just recently passed the 100GB mark, but if you include the live bootlegs (which are mostly FLAC) and the stuff I've got offloaded to CD-R's and never bothered to restore (this is from way back, before I had a nice big backup drive), it's probably more like 130GB. And of course, that doesn't include all the CDs and LPs I still haven't ripped, which is probably another 100GB.

And I actually listen to all of it, every day!
  • This turned into the Emusers Anonymous thread.
  • I sometimes fear Froggie is trapped under a floor-to-ceiling rack full of unlistened mp3's that tipped over on him.
  • About 148 gig on the drive that I have here, plus I have lot on data CDs that aren't on that drive.
  • I'm not exactly sure how to check how large my itunes library is. I went to a system browser and clicked on what I think is the folder that holds all my itunes library and did a "Get Info". It says just under 30gb.

I'm trying to estimate what percentage of my itunes library is of my entire music collection, but that's difficult. It could be anywhere from a third down to ten percent.
  • Jonah - go to Music in itunes and just go right down to the bottom - it should tell you how big, how many tracks and how long it will take you to play then all. That last one is frightening, in my case it would be two months continuously. When I first bought my ipod my aim was play everything once a year - no chance now!
  • Guh, ridiculous. Of course I knew about it being at the bottom, not sure how I overlooked it, especially considering that the other day I made a post on the AAJ forums about the last part... how long it would take to play it all.

I am at 30g.

And I have plans to deleted a bunch more off of itunes in the coming month, so that should get the number down significantly more.

Streamlining is the watchword for 2012, my friends.