What Are You Reading?

Comments

• I recently got round to reading this from my Christmas books. I've learned quite a lot from it, for example the differences between bop, cool and hard bop. Examples are mentioned but what I would like is to have a playlist to listen to and compare his examples. This book is actually quite an easy read. Next up will be the History of Jazz - a music more in depth book.
  • Really interesting oral history of King's X in which the band members and a range of their associates and those influenced by them discuss their story and all the songs from all dozen or so albums. It's a really good read so far. I am listening back through the albums as I get to them in the narrative. I just got to Dogman.

• I've finally got round to starting this.I'm going to need to chase up a few tracks from jazz's early history. Again, a playlist would help
  • Thank you Doofy. I checked his website but couldn't find anything. It is a logical thing to do with a book like this.

• A Christmas present from my stepson, who knows my musical influences!
  • I just learned that there is a newish online bookseller that seems to be following the bandcamp template: https://bookshop.org/ - worth checking out if you admire bandcamp for its values and/or want to reduce Amazon-dependence.

I just read:

• I just learned that there is a newish online bookseller that seems to be following the bandcamp template: https://bookshop.org/ - worth checking out if you admire bandcamp for its values and/or want to reduce Amazon-dependence.

I just read:

Bookshop.org is great--I've ordered books from them and I love their business model. Here's a useful article about them that came out in the Guardian if anyone is interested.

• Interesting idea with Bookshop,
    but where are the sample pages?
    I found something there and had to
    do a Google search to find some kind
    of excerpt from the book which, ironically,
    sent me to Amazon for that and reviews.
  • rostasi said:
    Interesting idea with Bookshop,
    but where are the sample pages?
    I found something there and had to
    do a Google search to find some kind
    of excerpt from the book which, ironically,
    sent me to Amazon for that and reviews.

That's true. I use Amazon for reviews and samples, then try to buy elsewhere if I can, sometimes bookshop and sometimes a local store that delivers or ships. Hoping Bookshop adds more functionality over time.
  • Thanks GP and others. I read the article in the Guardian but haven't tried them yet, so it is good to see recommendations from others. Anything to avoid Amazon too much!
  • edited November 2020
    After years of infrequent reading (which is very unlike me in the context of my life spent in books), I've finally kickstarted things again.
    I've been re-reading a lot of books, which I often do whenever I move to a new town.  There is something transcendental about reading familiar stories in brand new surroundings and with a few extra years of life adding texture to perspectives.
    Here's some of the novels I've read over the last year:

PS I love that book REVIEW NEUROMANCER by William GibsonBob Wakes review of Wonder BoysAbout Kurt Vonnegut - Kurt Vonnegut Museum and Library
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K Le GuinCatch-22 - WikipediaBurning Chrome by William Gibson - 1987-09-01
    Rose McGowans 10 Favorite BooksIronweed novel - WikipediaThomas McGuane Penguin Random House Retail

William Gibson - "Neuromancer"
    Michael Chabon - "Wonder Boys"
    Kurt Vonnegut - "Cat's Cradle"
    Ursula Le Guin - "A Wizard of Earthsea"
    Joseph Heller - "Catch 22"
    William Gibson - "Burning Chrome"
    John Kennedy Toole - "A Confederacy of Dunces"
    William Kennedy - "Ironweed"
    And reading now:
    Thomas McGuane - "Ninety-Two in the Shade"
  • On track for a few more books this year.
    My goodreads stats show that I've read
    18,431 pages. I'm still behind on many
    recent titles that sit on the floor nearby.

• edited November 2020
    I am 20 books behind last year's pace at the moment. Working in education, the pandemic seems to have simultaneously made my brain capable of less and increased the demands. I got little read through the summer - just seemed to be teaching online all day. I am picking up the pace now. Greatly enjoying this:
    And very much enjoyed re-reading this (first read 30 years ago during my Russian lit degree and still a great and often hilarious yarn):
  • Ashley Kahn is an interesting read - especially the ...Love Supreme... and ...Impulse Records...
    books.

I get behind on books because I’m reading so many periodicals regularly: The Wire; Organized Sound; Neural; Cabinet; ETC: A Review of General SemanticsJacobin; Extra!; The Nation; In These Times; The Hightower Lowdown; Cat Watch; Catnip; a.o.
    Plus, there’s a number of free ebooks I get from publishers like Verso and Haymarket Books and daily newsletters in my email that keep my eyes scanning regularly. Just like the music I listen to, I couldn’t possibly post a quarter of the stuff that I love to engage with every day - plus, I’m working on art/music projects too. One thing about these pandemic times: it has certainly focused my attention!
  • King Henry VI Part 1
    The latest pandemic surge is the time to finally wade into the War of the Roses

• rostasi said:
    Ashley Kahn is an interesting read - especially the ...Love Supreme... and ...Impulse Records...
    books.
    I aim to move on to those soon.
  • edited January 2021

‘My Way’ Has Always Been the Anthem of Despicable Men

"The Frank Sinatra standard, which even he hated, is the soundtrack to funerals and Donald Trump’s presidency. Why do guys get off on its endless self-pity?"

Informative and amusing, incl. this:

• Edited by Lawrence Kumpf with Naima Karlsson and Magnus Nygren. Introduction by Lawrence Kumpf and Magnus Nygren. Text by Keith Knox, Rita Knox, Bengt af Klintberg, Iris R. Orton, Åke Holmquist, Pandit Pran Nath, John Esam, Michael Lindfield, Sidsel Paaske, George Trolin, Alan Halkyard, Moki Cherry, Don Cherry, Ben Young, Christer Bothén, Ruba Katrib, and Fumi Okiji. Interviews by Keith Knox and Rita Knox with Don Cherry, Terry Riley, and Steve Roney.

Avant-garde jazz trumpeter Don Cherry and textile artist Moki Cherry (née Karlsson) met in Sweden in the late sixties. They began to live and perform together, dubbing their mix of communal art, social and environmentalist activism, children’s education, and pan-ethnic expression “Organic Music.” Organic Music Societies, Blank Forms’ sixth anthology, is a special issue released in conjunction with an exhibition of the same name devoted to the couple’s multimedia collaborations. The first English-language publication on either figure, the book highlights models for collectivism and pedagogy deployed in the Cherrys’ interpersonal and artistic work through the presentation of archival documents alongside newly translated and commissioned writings by musicians, scholars, and artists alike.

Beginning with an overview by Blank Forms Artistic Director Lawrence Kumpf and Don Cherry biographer Magnus Nygren, this volume further explores Don’s work of the period through a piece on his Relativity Suite by Ben Young and an essay on the diasporic quality of his music by Fumi Okiji. Ruba Katrib emphasizes the domestic element of Moki’s practice in a biographical survey accompanied by full-color reproductions of Moki’s vivid tapestries, paintings, and sculptures, which were used as performance environments by Don’s ensembles during the Sweden years and beyond. Two selections of Moki’s unpublished writings—consisting of autobiography, observations, illustrations, and diary entries, as well as poetry and aphorisms—are framed by tributes from her daughter Neneh Cherry and granddaughter Naima Karlsson. Swedish Cherry collaborator Christer Bothén contributes period travelogues from Morocco, Mali, and New York, providing insight into the cross-cultural communication that would soon come to be called “world music.”

The collection also features several previously unpublished interviews with Don, conducted by Christopher R. Brewster and Keith Knox. A regular visitor to the Cherry schoolhouse in rural Sweden, Knox documented the family’s magnetic milieu in his until-now unpublished Tågarp Publication. Reproduced here in its entirety, the journal includes an interview with Terry Riley, an essay on Pandit Pran Nath, and reports on counter-cultural education programs in Stockholm, including the Bombay Free School and the esoteric Forest University.

Taken together, the texts, artwork, and abundant photographs collected in Organic Music Societies shine a long overdue spotlight on Don and Moki’s prescient and collaborative experiments in the art of living.

• Informative article on Julius Hemphill and the recently issued box set, paywalled unfortunately: https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2021/05/27/julius-hemphill-blues-surrealist/

• rostasi said:

I'm a couple behind with Audion - mind you I remember that issue from the first time 'round. In other news your reminder had me buying the Mike Barnes book.
  • @rostasi thanks from me too re the Mike Barnes book. Perfect for a Prog freak like me!