MiG Staff and others that would like to participate: Quick Question

edited June 2012 in Diversions
I'm thinking about putting together a MiG post where the Staff (and any other emusers who want to participate) give a brief description of a song that transports them to a specific time and place whenever they hear it.

By way of example, whenever I hear Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" I'm instantly brought back to high school and an acting troupe I was in. We traveled Minnesota and Wisconsin and performed at high schools with music being a big part of our show. The climax of our show happened while that song played. To this day I can't hear that song without thinking of people I spent those times with and all the fun we had.

I plan to flesh out more exactly what the song means to me (but in no more than a paragraph), and thought bringing a number of them together would make for a great MiG post.

Craig

Comments

• Good idea.
  • edited June 2012
    I could throw something together. That kind of shit is right up my alley.
  • Sounds a good idea Craig - you might even get me writing again and through my writing block! (I got totally stuck on an academic article a few months ago, which has put me off all writing)
  • Would love to be able to help you out, Greg!

Craig
  • Something like this?
    A few weeks ago, my (almost) six-year old son climbed into my lap, grabbed an earbud from my ear to spy on what I was watching on YouTube. After playing the video several times over, he declared that “Virginia Plain” was the greatest song ever. Indeed, it reminded me how I would play the same song repeatedly while driving up Wilshire Blvd in my hand-me-down Pugeot 504 (diesel, so I could never go too fast). The first Roxy Music single is great Rock n Roll essentialism: from the campy days before Bryan Ferry took sophistication too seriously, “Virginia Plain” is three minutes of pounding drums, piano and bass over which Ferry tosses out images that are somehow connected to cigarettes, models, and pop art. There aren't “too many notes,” but each one is played for fullest expressiveness. Manzanera's and Eno's solos are simple, using the tools at their disposal to vary their sound characteristics. To the teenage boy that I was, Virginia Plain was the anti-Avalon: not that it was not elegant, but the former was understandable while the latter was impenetrable. Youth rebellion could be arty in its own way, even as my friends and I struggled with popular culture, literature and foreign cinema, without really knowing what they all meant. It was ok being the “teenage rebel of the week.”
  • Wow, that's great BT! Even better than I was hoping for. Thanks!

Craig