MiG: How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

edited June 2012 in General
Hey MiG folks. MiG has been contacted about an advertising opportunity, and Dr. Mutex and I have been investigating it. My question is, do you trust us to make the decision, or do you want us to bring the final offer to everyone. My preference would be for the good Doctor and I to make the decision rather than crowd sourcing it, but this is everyone's blog, so I want to make sure that's okay with you all. Obviously, we aren't going to do anything outlandish, and any monies will be kept for the costs of the Blog.

That's right, I said monies. We may be about to earn tens of dollars for our effort! Look out Facebook, MiG is on the loose.

Craig

Comments

• I don't need to be consulted. I would just hope that the advertiser is somewhat tangentially associated with the site's mission. It would be unfortunate to see an ad for Single Women Near You next to one of my reviews, but even then, whatever.

Congrats, though. That's a neat development.
  • That's certainly a concern of ours as well, jonah. Although I thought Single Women Near You was MiG's mission.

Craig
  • Yes, near ME. Not near YOU.
  • Just as a general rule, if it's anything about 'One Weird Tip Doctors Don't Want You To Know About,' take a pass.
  • Please tell me it's not Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts. I had reason to look at their web site a couple of months ago and now it seems every other blog advert I see is for there.

But otherwise, I trust in you guys' judgement. Or judgment.
  • @Craig, I don't need to be consulted. I'll trust you and Dr. M. to make the right choice.
  • I'm sure that the two of you will make the right judgement, so go for it! When the shares are sold off, ( Facebook etc) don't forget to cut us into the millions!!
  • Is judgment spelled with two 'e' in the UK? If so that's a spelling difference I was unaware of.

Greg - By the time the shares are sold off I will have long ago sold out and will squash you all like a bug.

Jonah - You actually think the single ladies will want to listen to jazz with you? Ha!

Thanks for the vote of confidence all.

Craig
  • Who knows Craig with my spelling?!! I've just tried judgement in Word (UK spelling) and it didn't get a red line!!
  • Not just you, Greg, but Nereffid used both spellings. Just curious, because as a young lawyer I had to train myself to only include one 'e'.

Craig
  • I agree, anything is fine except for all those unspecified kinds of ads that various of us would not like, and we know that you, Craig, will know exactly which ones those are and we'll all be happy. Go for it.

Wouldn't it be ironic if some day we could sell ad space to emusic.
  • Wouldn't it be ironic if some day we could sell ad space to emusic.

I have a new life's goal.

Craig
  • I had to LOL! I am waiting for the day, Craig.... you never know!
  • Page 1 of my old company's style manual on writing American - judgment instead of judgement, sulfur instead of sulphur, chips instead of crisps, truck instead of lorry...

I see Merriam-Webster accepts both judgment and judgement but gives the former first, meaning it's "slightly more common".

Ah, I miss the long, pedantic editorial meetings we used to have about these things!
  • Interesting, Nereffid. I wonder if the reason I had such an effort dropping the first 'e' was the same that I think labour looks right rather than labor. Reading enough British writing just planted the seed in my brain.

Craig
  • This is a situation (the word usage, not the ads) where your choice is dictated by the prejudices of the herd. As with the split infinitive (To boldly go where no man has gone before), it's not worth the fight with people who are convinced about the "rules." Everybody seems to have gotten the same memo on "judgment," yet I bet hardly anyone would question "acknowledgement."
  • That is how I spell acknowledgement Doofy!! Going back to Shakespeare's time there was no standard spelling in England, never mind the rest of the World!