End of local music?

edited August 2012 in General
I haven't yet confirmed that this is true, but I am utterly shocked at the temerity to suggest that towns must pay ASCAP for the privilege to potentially play licensed music. (If I haven't mentioned it before, I spend some time each year, particularly around Christmas, charitably playing for people who have almost nothing and are incapable of working. We take no money for performances. While the towns in this area are wealthy enough to pay the fee if they are shaken down, but I could see this kind of entertainment becoming impossible.)

Comments

• edited August 2012
    BT: Just sing the old songs that aren't in copyright. I think you did mention it before.
  • Speaking of the end of local music.

I live in Seattle, one of the country's great music cities, and our weekly arts newspaper named Starbucks the best local record store. Seriously.

(For the record, we have some incredible record stores in the city. Easy Street, Sonic Boom, Silver Platters.)
  • Does Starbucks really sell a lot of music other than a couple cds by the cash register?
  • Starbucks doesn't even have the Master of Puppets half-speed remaster. How can anyone call them a record store?
  • edited August 2012
    Probably once almost everybody went into a "real" record store at least once in a while, now probably only a small minority do. (Although I guess even back in the day you could buy records at department stores...I remember buying a Sparks album at Korvette's in 1978 or so.)

eta: Check that, it must have been 1975, because that's when "Indiscreet" came out!

Indiscreet_-_Sparks.jpg
  • Went into a Starbucks this afternoon - saw 4 CDs for sale. I know I've seen more at other ones. I'll give them credit for having started a record label and actually trying to promote some artists outside the mainstream, but they are hardly a "record store".