Who wants a forum? One careful owner, some maintenance required...

edited March 2015 in General
Hi all,
After the recent spambot incident I realise it really is time for me to hand this place over to somebody else.
As I said in the other now vanished thread, it's been an embarrassingly long time since I was active here and I just never seem to have the time to devote to it. There are lots of great things that could be done (not least updating the software!) if one of you excellent people could take the reins.

Please decide amongst yourselves who's going to take it on then send me an email (benevolent_dictator@emusers.org) with the lucky winner's details.

In the meantime I'll dig up the server info ready to be passed along.

Hopefully Eythian is still about and won't mind a new face poking about on his server!
Once things are going smoothly under the new boss, we can talk about transferring the domain name ownership too. That isn't due to expire until January so there's plenty of time to decide about that.

Comments

• My offer still stands to do the hosting and background admin tasks (upgrades and backups), I unfortunately don't have time to do front-end admin tasks like hunting spammers and authorizing new users.
  • I could do the spammers and authorizing new users. I assume the volume isn't anything too awful, and that the eMusers software isn't any more difficult to use than AllAboutJazz's for the same tasks.
  • I know thom was interested.

I would be too, but the computer-fu is weak with me. Beyond authorizing users and killing spam I'd be lost.

Craig
  • Yes, my offer still stands. I'll even offer my hosting services, as I barely use what I pay for my semi-defunct blog. I would definitely suggest whether myself or someone else takes this over that we have backup admins and mods as life often forces people to step aside from time to time.
  • I'd hope the current version of Vanilla has more anti-spam capabilities, or at least 1-click cleanup.
  • I'd offer, but my computer skills are nowhere near good enough. But if there is anyother task I can take on, let me know
  • edited December 2012
    Oops.
  • edited April 2013
    A mystery:
    I have just added two posts to the Plaistow thread, but they do not show in the time counter (below the topic line) - nor does it jump up to the recent posts.

I did a test bump with the Mysterybear thread that worked as it is supposed to.

I can't figure out what is wrong with the first one.

ETA I noticed that it was tagged "Sink" and unsinked it - that didn't help.
    - I don't even know what this sinking function is supposed to do.

ETA: My goodness! - Problem solved - Just a glitch, I suppose.
  • 'Sink' stops new posts from bumping a thread to the top of the list. This lets the thread quietly scroll off into oblivion. it shouldn't have been set on that thread.
  • Oh hai.

I don't tend to pop up here all that often, just stick my nose in once in a while.

I really need to upgrade the forum software at some point actually.

Umm. Keep doing what you're doing. I'm sure it's all good.
  • Spammer! We have a spammer, lol. How quaint!
  • Just curious (especially after our latest spammer), did any further communication behind the scenes result in clarifying the questions upthread about where/by whom the forum is hosted and administered?
  • No, I never got around to working on this with xtrev. I guess it's time I push forward. Should upgrade to Vanilla 2, also. Let me poke around and see what I can do. Where is MiG hosted? Would it make sense to tie them together?
  • Dr. Mutex hosts MiG.

Craig
  • Hi everybody, I'm still alive!
    Eythian - thanks very much for all your work, it's great that everything still seems to be working after the switchover. I'll update the DNS later today so if everything falls apart you'll know who to blame.
    Then I'll have a look at redecorating the new digs a little.
    Cheers!
  • This thread is showing up out of order, that was confusing. It should stop happening soon.

xtrev, just FYI, your later today is my sleepy time, so if it explodes it might be a few hours before I can sort it. Not the end of the world though :-)
  • edited February 2015
    Oh hai. Again.

So, I'm planning on moving all my stuff to a new server. This'll take some time, but I thought I might start with this forum. At the same time, I'll upgrade it, because a relocation and upgrade are clearly the best things to do simultaneously.

I'm beginning this today. Not sure how long it'll take. Anyway, if you notice drastic changes it probably means things are working. Also, there will be a period of downtime as I turn this off, move the data over, upgrade it, and configure my old server to proxy to the new one. This'll also make it slower until xtrev updates the DNS.

So anyway, just felt you all should know :)

edit: (In case you like this sort of thing, the database dump size is 106MB. That's a fair few conversations.)

edit2: http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation-importtool -- a vanilla porter is also a very tasty beer

edit3: and I just spent an hour debugging why the export tool was failing silently only to discover that I hadn't installed the php5-mysql package on the new server... Now I'm getting somewhere.
  • Well this is going to take some getting used to!
  • Thanks for the heads up. It is nice to know there is someone working on the back end of this splendid board :)
  • Holy crap, it worked.

I now have it up and running on my new server (but not switched over yet, I need to have a look around and make sure nothing important has gone astray, and then repeat the migration process after making this one read-only.)
  • Excellent work!
  • Great work eythian, and many thanks for keeping us running - just experimenting with colour!
  • OK, no further votes have appeared re de-announcing this thread. I am going to unsticky it. Speak up if that is troubling. What threads to keep sticky is being discussed in Suggestion Box.