Quote du jour . . .

Comments

• If you want something said,
    - Ask a man
    If you want something done,
    - Ask a woman
    - "Lady" Thatcher.
  • Music is less like an object and more like the weather. With an object you know where the boundaries are. The weather never begins or ends.
    - John Cage.
  • When I say I love you, Boston, I am talking to the streets and trees and buildings but mostly to my incredible friends and peers - be safe.
    - Bhob Rainey @ Twitter
  • When two wish in unison, the wish will come true. But then there are two karmic pasts which must be cleared. That takes time.
    - Yoko Ono @ Twitter.
  • MrVMrV
    edited May 2013
    There is a sickness eating away at the American people
    An illness, a pox upon this nation-state
    And that illness is Classic Rock.

The street poet named Sparrow
  • For a possession which is not diminished by being shared with others, if it is possessed and not shared, is not yet possessed as it ought to be possessed.
    St. Augustine
  • UbuWeb is not a democracy — that's why it's so good.
    - Ubuweb @ Twitter
  • edited May 2013
    If and if. . .
    my ass was pointed and full of lemonade,
    - then I would lick the buttocks until they were flat.
    - My dear late father.
  • edited May 2013
    579333_10151643461817139_475444353_n.jpg
    (dingir)-inanna / nin-a-ni / ur-(dingir)-nammu / nita-kala-ga / lugal-uri5-(ki)-ma / lugal-ki en-gi-ki-uri-ke4 /
  • Henri Quittard, a music critic at French daily Le Figaro, described the debut as an exercise in "puerile barbarity." Or was it "one of the great aesthetic monuments of Western art — completely assured, startlingly original, brutal, tender, and altogether wonderful" (Daniel Weymouth)?

100th anniversary of Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring
  • edited June 2013
    scuba-300x192.jpg
    Seen on a printed questionnaire designed to gather data on religious experience:
    The following section contains 3 statements about religious belief or experience. Please mark the extent to which each statement is true for you.
    3. In my life , I experience the presence of the Diving.
  • There is a difference between not knowing what you're doing, and knowing what you?re doing but not wanting anyone else to know. You know?
    - John Cage.
  • edited June 2013
    sp47.gif
    - And why are you locked up, my good man ?
    - It is to prevent me from getting out.
    Robert Storm Petersen
  • edited June 2013
    BNI-hwQCMAE7Dwq.jpg
    i live by the ocean
    and during the night
    i dive into it
    down to the bottom
    Björk @ Twitter
  • One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
    - Bob Marley
  • Chris Cutler about The Residents:
    ” Everything about The Residents is a paradox. By being willfully obscure, for instance, not showing your face, not saying who are, you become famous. It’s a bit like John Cage, the guy who became an international media celebrity by trying not to be one very, very hard, or saying that he was trying not to be one. It fits into the paradox law which seems to govern most of the things that The Residents have done. They always manage to do two things at the same time, which are opposite to one another.

There’s always this interpretational gap opened up in the middle, this vacuum which all sorts of people can fill with all sorts of things and ideas of their own. It’s not accidental, I don’t think…”
    http://residentsmovie.com/
  • edited August 2013
    From Twitter:
    "Sometimes I cry while chopping carrots because I don't want onions to think they're ugly or something."
  • Music is the only religion that delivers the goods.
    - Frank Zappa
  • «My musical tastes are a little unusual. I like 1750 Bach and before, and Debussy after, and in the middle, l don't listen. Except for a little Beethoven. That's it. I never listened to Romantic music ever, not even a minute, lt is no part of my life, If all of it stopped tomorrow morning, I would not know!»
    - Steve Reich.
  • I enjoyed this line from the Picthfork review of Tim Hecker's newest:
    This is music that benefits from being heard loud and/or on headphones in the same way couches are best experienced by actually sitting down in them instead of just brushing your fingers against the upholstery as you leave the room.
  • I've been experiencing couches all wrong!

Craig
  • I need to experience a couch. Heading home.
  • Quite a well couched description.
  • That Pitchfork, always helping us confused and ignorant peasants.
  • edited November 2013
    You are desperate, thorough arch-rascals, murderers, traitors, liars, the very scum of all the most evil people on earth. You are full of all the worst devils in hell - full, full, and so full that you can do nothing but vomit, throw, and blow out devils! - Martin Luther
    Just one of many colorful insults you can have hurled at you thanks to the Lutheran Insulter, a website dedicated to generating insults drawn directly from Martin Luther's writings. (There's also a link there to a Shakespearean Insulter). It's oddly compelling. I also enjoyed:
    You stink like devilish filth flung into Germany.
  • Whoa! That stench is way worse than devilish filth flung into Austria.

Craig
  • Tweet from Mark Richardson (I don't know who that is, but Owen Pallett retweeted it):
    If I were Collin Stetson I'd encore with "Tequila"--blow everyone's fucking minds

All errors [sic].

I would pay to see that.

Craig
  • "Of course anyone can do what I do, but nobody does."
    - John Cage
  • The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
    - Nelson Mandela