Quote du jour . . .

Comments

• edited December 2013
    "An example I often use to illustrate the reality of vanity, is this: look at the peacock; it's beautiful if you look at it from the front. But if you look at it from behind, you discover the truth... Whoever gives in to such self-absorbed vanity has huge misery hiding inside them."
    "Human rights are not only violated by terrorism, repression or assassination, but also by unfair economic structures that creates huge inequalities."
    - Pope Francis.
  • edited January 2014
    poem2.gif
  • I am ready for a night that truly honors the very best in music, but until then the Grammys will have to do.
    https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod
  • “There is all the time in the world for studying music, but for living there is scarcely any time at all. For living takes place each instant and that instant is always changing. The wisest thing to do is to open one’s ears immediately and hear a sound suddenly before one’s thinking has a chance to turn it into something logical, abstract, or symbolical. Sounds are sounds and men are men, but now our feet are a little off the ground.”
    -John Cage, from Juilliard Lecture
  • "The world of music is probably contained within DoR
  • edited December 2014
    [align=center]Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.
    Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents.
    - Ludwig van Beethoven -

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination,
    and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
    - Plato (428 BC - 348 BC) -
  • edited January 2015
    Think of whales, men and birds. When you hear the songs of the whales, they are so spaced out that what sounds like a gigantic, drawn-out and endless moan is perhaps only one consonant to them. This means that it is impossible to perceive their speech with our constant of time. Similarly, when we hear a bird sing, our impression is that it sounds very high-pitched and agitated. for its constant of time is much shorter than ours. It is difficult for us to perceive its subtle variations of timbre, while it may perceive us, perhaps, as we perceive the whales.
    - (G
  • The drummer is the musician's best friend.
    - found at: InPolySons
  • edited August 2016
    “An artist is never ahead of his time, but most people are far behind theirs,”
    Edgar Varèse
  • "Singing in the shower is all fun and games until you get shampoo in your mouth... 
    Then it just becomes a soap opera".

- Mr. Bean @ Twitter.
  • edited July 2015

"To stream or not to stream ?  That is the wrong question"

- Found on Twitter.
  • "In my Music I speak of Unknown things, Impossible things,
    Ancient things,
    Potential things..."
    (Sun Ra)
  • We are living in a period in which many people have changed their mind about what the use of music is or could be for them. Something that doesn't speak or talk like a human being, that doesn't know its definition in the dictionary or its theory in the schools, that expresses itself simply by the fact of its vibrations. People paying attention to vibratory activity, not in reaction to a fixed ideal performance, but each time attentively to how it happens to be this time, not necessarily two times the same. A music that transports the listener to the moment where he is.“  
    John Cage: „An Autobiographical Statement“ (1989)   
  • edited January 2016
    “If you want to know the truth of the matter, the music I prefer, even to my own or anybody else's, is what we are hearing if we are just quiet"
    John Cage.
  • edited January 2016
    "I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring."
    - David Bowie.
  • edited April 2016
     "Play a tone for so long
    until you hear its individual vibrations
    hold the tone
    and listen to the tones of the others
    -to all of them together, not to individual ones-
    and slowly move your tone
    until you arrive at complete harmony
    and the whole sound turns to gold
    to pure, gently shimmering fire"

- Karlheinz Stockhausen
  • "All the people that were sitting in the front row tonight, like the guy that came from my record company, I wanted to pull him by his necktie and kick him in the nuts. He's made a billion dollars off my work over the last 50 years and the motherfucker just came over and introduced himself tonight. That cheery little thing. You know he won't do any contract work, he won't clean anything up, he won't get anything done. This whole industry fucking sucks and this little get-together you guys have here is like a private boys' club and it's a bunch of jackasses and jerks and fucking gangsters and crooks who've fucking stolen everything from a fucking artist. Telling the artist to come out here and tap dance."

- Steve Miller at his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. Personally I'd have just stayed home if I felt that way, but wondering where are the parts of this that aren't truth.
  •  Overcome by Love and Disappears cover art
    Sparkling Wide Pressure

•  “Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.”
    - Charlie Chaplin
  • " I am free, that is why I am lost"
    Maya Beiser
  •  I have no mockings or arguments . . . . I witness and wait.

- Walt Witman

• edited March 2017

If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'.

- John Lennon.

•  
    "May your anchor be tight, may your cork be loose,
    may your whisky be with ice and may your darts be true."

Rolling with the punches.

James Leyland Kirby
    xxx

•  
    "May your anchor be tight, may your cork be loose,
    may your whisky be with ice and may your darts be true."

Rolling with the punches.

James Leyland Kirby
    xxx

Whisky with ice? No wonder the world is doomed!!
  • Irish whisky I agree, Scottish single malt never
  •  

- A Tweet from Ubuweb
  • edited March 2018

Brighternow, love what you've posted! You've found some gems.

a quote by an anonymous Jewish poet to his wife when the Nazis came to get them:

"Till now we have lived with fear, now we can know hope."

Not sure if my son would like me texting him that. He needs to step up & face the music.
    He's trying to get a passport for a fabulous IT job in Europe, but needs to clean up a stupid college warrant to release that passport.