How Much of a Music Nerd are You?

edited April 2014 in General
Yes, it's the Buzzfeed Quiz made for emusers:

Link.

I got 44/100, and somehow the quiz becomes "How Much of a Music Snob are You" in the results, but it says:
You’re a major music nerd, and most people in your life consider you to be an expert. You’re very committed, but there’s some lines you don’t cross.

I'll take that.

Craig

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Same territory for me: 41/100

ETA: If one of the questions had been "Have you had more than one LOUD argument about picking direction?", I might have faired worse.
  • I swear I didn't do it intentionally, but I got 33, which is about the best score possible since there's no partial numbers. The words are the same as Craig's.
  • Only a 20. Some of these are just after my time (raves, samples, etc). Free jazz phase is ongoing, possibly terminal. Some of these are setting the bar for "nerdiness" pretty low...I have a whole regular circuit of going "out of my way" to visit record (and book) stores.
  • edited April 2014
    I got a 40. Agree with Doofy that some of the questions are not a good test - e.g. some of them assume that I have used a dating site, or that I have my music on a phone, or listen to genres with a lot of samples. And the one about "have you spent hours on metadata" should have said "weeks". So some of them I answered no not because I might not have done that if the circumstances matched, but because the circumstances did not apply. On the other hand, some questions occur to me that would have upped my score:

101. Have you ever got to the end of a 50 minute plus track and started over?
    102. Have you ever stood browsing through record bins at an outdoor market in winter until you could not feel your toes?
    103. Have you ever paid for an out of print CD to be shipped from Estonia/Portugal/Israel?
    104. Have you ever replaced your headphones with more expensive ones so that you could hear a particular track better?
    105. Have you ever designed your own cover art for MP3 tracks that lack it?
    106. Have you ever successfully negotiated with an artist to buy from them directly an MP3 version of a back-catalog album that is unavailable so that you could complete your collection?
    107. Have you ever wanted to get a higher score in a dumb internet quiz about how much of a music nerd you are?
  • 108. Have you ever written questions for an internet just to prove how big of a music nerd you are?
  • No kidding, also want credit for researching and tagging personnel for 50s-60s jazz sessions.

This topic reminds me of the time I was accused of being a music snob by some friends who were blasting Journey on the car stereo during a road trip.
  • BT wins the thread.

I don't even want to think about the number of hours I've spent on metadata. It's ridiculous.

A couple guys I know who are also members at First Avenue got 60s. If these two don't score higher than that, I'm convinced you can't score much higher.

Craig
  • edited April 2014
    You checked off 41 out of 100 on this list!
    You’re a major music nerd, and most people in your life consider you to be an expert. You’re very committed, but there’s some lines you don’t cross.
    - Hmmmm ?
    I left out some questions either because of lapse of memory or maybe because my mind was distracted by that totally awesome new Julia Wolfe album.

ETA:
    107. Have you ever wanted to get a higher score in a dumb internet quiz about how much of a music nerd you are?
    smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-060.gif

ETA 2: 100 out of 100 gives:
    You are a full-on music expert. You know everything, you have everything. You live and breathe music, but scoff at anyone who is like “music is my life!”
    1 out of 100 (The John Peel question)
    There is no doubt that you’re waaaay into music, but you’re not TOTALLY intense about it. Like, you probably have other interests and a well-rounded life. There’s no shame in that!
  • I got a 53, which means...
    Music is unquestionably the main focus of your life, and you spend a huge amount of time and money on your obsessions. A lot of people are in awe of you.

Now, I did something that had some of you above done, you might have gotten higher scores... I stretched the meaning of some of the questions. For instance, I said yes to the iPhone/music/just in case even though I don't actually own a phone to even put music on. However, there have been times in my life that I made sure I had certain CDs on me or certain albums on my iPod... just in case.

There were a few others (which I've already forgotten) where I said 'yes' if the only difference was a question of technology. I tried to answer the spirit of the question rather than be chained to the words.

If you are now in awe of me, I completely understand. Heck, I even expected it.

#Pitchfork4Reals

/furniture
  • 30 out of 100 using strict constructionist rules.

Add 5 or 6 more using jonahpwll's rules.

Either way its says I am a major nerd.

My grad student kid who is probably in the same demographic as many of you frequently calls me a hipster and a music snob, especially when I attempt to instruct her in the finer points of music appreciation.

She still likes the Backstreet Boys for God's sake.
  • I got 31/100, but could have added a few more using Jonah's 'rules' and perhaps 2 or 3 more because of cultural (ie US) references I didn't know, but actually I'd have still ended up with the same description as Craig
  • 73a9fb6c149dab9217f7dc52de502849-0.jpg

I got a 67, but some of the questions are more OCD than music nerd. Other Questions:

Do you worry about whether John Lennon ought to be sorted next to the Beatles or under L by himself?
    Have you not just bought bootlegs, but do you have every show of a give tour with multiple variant recordings?
    Do you download every free tack you can, just in case it is something you light like later?
    Do you remember AmieStreet?
    Do you remember Music Avenue?
    Did you ever have an mp2?
    Did you join Columbia Record Club more than 5 times?
    Did you join Columbia Record Club for the reel-to-reel collection?

When you visit an old person's house, do you secretly hope that music comes up and they tell you they have some "old records" in the basement you can have? (that one might be a little too creepy....)
  • edited May 2014
    What about when you get a double CD from the library, and one of the discs is the wrong disc, which happens to be an album you already have; so you get online, see that the album you already have is on the shelf, go to the library and check it out, and switch the discs yourself, because you think if you just point out the mistake to the library, they might goof it up?

The double CD is this series, which I gather is just completed at 4 vols. What I've heard so far is great. On a small Chicago label, I am surprised to find out:
    61r-7evXBsL._SY300_.jpg

The album I already had is this; really like all of the Smalls Live discs I've heard.
    SL0022_bernsteingoldingstewart_michellewatt.jpg
  • Good lord, I love you people and your posts about the REAL questions that should have been asked!
  • 45/100

But I had the same thought as Jonah with some of the iPod questions. I once packed around 100 CDs in a box because I was driving 6+ hours each way to Pittsburgh and back and wasn't sure what I would want to listen to. And yes, weeks on metadata and I don't want to admit how much time on re-organizing CDs.

Also, kicked a freshman out of my dorm room when he (non-ironically) asked if "Under Pressure" was that "Vanilla Ice" song.
  • edited May 2014
    Would you have kicked me out when I asked if it was "that one good Queen song"?
  • What if I said it was the Queen song so bad Vanilla Ice could rip it off?
  • We're going to be away for just over 3 weeks, so I've spent what seems like days making sure I get the right balance of music on my 30GB (actually about 27.5 as I discovered trying to get about 29.5 GB on it). I set up a special playlist on iTunes, but I know there will be a few things I might want to listen to but can't! I could have compromised on quality to load more, but didn't want that. I've got about 5000 items that will play continuously for 14 days, so I should have enough....
  • edited May 2014
    Enough, yes, but there wil always be that ONE song you didn't load and MUST listen to right now!

Didn't have time to take the quiz earlier. Was pretty sure I wouldn't get a snobby score, and I was right!

You checked off 26 out of 100 on this list!
  • Only because they don't have the question, "Do you own, and still use, the Go Red U2 iPod?"
  • hahaha! Yes, I do - not as much as when I first got it. It was stolen out of my car and I got a 2nd once, the replacement had a color screen.
    Now I'm on my 3rd nano - they are easier to "wear" since I don't always have pockets.
  • Like amclark2, I got a 33. My score would have been higher if they included some of the supplemental questions posted in this thread. Not the one about visiting an old person's house, though - that is a bit too creepy. :)
  • I got a 59 - agree with Plong42 that OCD plays a role in the score (alphabetization, owning everything by an artist, which includes buying imports, etc.). I'm too old for the "dating site" (oh, and married) so I didn't answer that, but hypothetically I would avoid someone with bad taste in music. I take exception with the phrase "phase" for my love of free jazz and dub.

Also, I have gone to old people's houses and have been gifted with records (surprisingly good jazz in some cases - but you take the crap as well). "I know you like music - I have some records I don't listen to anymore..." - I light up at those words).

People are generally not in awe of me - generally it's just other music nerds, and they secretly believe that they are nerdier than I am, which dilutes the awe.
  • I'm in awe of you bremble, with no dilution.

Craig
  • Oh Dear, I scored 50 on the quiz, as to the part about going to someone elder than myself, I was lucky to be gifted a wonderful selection of jazz music when an elderly friend of my wife passed. it is with this that I remember them when I have the chance to listen to them.
  • Got excited because I had an email from Brian Shimkovitz; turned to disappointment when I realized it was just a phishing email.