The News Room

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Interesting stuff on Fact Magazine:
    https3amazonawscomfactmag-imageswp-contentuploads20160203011547pierreschaeffer-2222016-970x550jpg

A guide to Pierre Schaeffer, the godfather of sampling

Nearly 50 years before DJ Shadow’s Endtroducing was hailed as the first album made entirely of samples, a French broadcaster envisioned a music made solely from pre-recorded loops. . . . . .

• Project Focus: Down the Rabbit Hole - Acid House In A Subway Station

Mikkel Meyer’s installation piece ‘Down the Rabbit Hole’ lives in an unlikely place - a train station south of Copenhagen. It is also an unusual piece of public art - a composing machine inspired by the 1980s Detroit Acid House. Its creator was kind enough to sit down for a little remote chat about the randomness of old analog machinery, prototyping, and a fascination with coincidence. Pull up a chair!

• Technically, Luray Cavern's Great Stalacpipe Organ is not an organ at all, but a percussion instrument known as a lithophone. Instead of blowing air through pipes, it operates by rhythmically striking 37 different stalactites scattered across the three-and-a-half-acre cave.

• ^^ Really fascinating ^^ . . . Thanks.

thanks again to the patreon, we have a nice fat budget to stream and film the entire london stage show of me & edward ka-spel "i can spin a rainbow" tour with many cameras and GLORIOUS SOUND AND VISION! this has been one of my favorite tours ever (it's just getting more beautiful every night) and i am so happy we are going to capture it for posterity - and the heaven nightclub is LEGENDARY. the incredible patrick q. wright will be joining us on violin and we also have an incredible (very) surprise special guest. it is not neil gaiman. eeeeeee. if you are in London, there's still a few dozen TICKETS left!!

webcast date & times:

Tuesday, June 13th
    London: 8:30pm
    New York: 3:30pm
    Los Angeles: 12:30pm

WATCH THE WEBCAST LIVE HERE:
    https://live.amandapalmer.net/amandapalmer/live/amanda-palmer-and-edward-ka-spel-live-in-london-at-heaven-jun-13

please tune in - it's going to be gorgeous.
    if you miss it, the clips will hopefully emerge on youtube soon and patrons will get bonus content, the entire show as a video and audio download, and access to the whole unedited stream soon after the event. you can join the patreon HERE if you haven't yet. it is awesome.
    - Amanda Palmer
  •  
    New single America from I Think You're Awesome
    New album Kiss Your Darlings will be out October '17
  • edited June 2017
    The Danish word "hygge"  is now officially a part of the english language:

A quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture)
    ‘why not follow the Danish example and bring more hygge into your daily life?’

as modifier ‘count on candlelight —almost a requirement for that special hygge experience’
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/hygge
    a Danish word for a quality of cosiness (= feeling warm, comfortable, and safe) that comes from doing simple things such as lighting candles, baking, or spending time at home with your family:

The high season of hygge is Christmas, when Danes don't hold back with the candles and mulled wine.
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/hygge

• edited June 2017
    Oh my god, I literally go through my life attempting to create an ambiance of... well, now I know it's called hygge.  Though I still like the word cozy, like how my duck pants are part of my cozy clothes wardrobe.

It's a word made just for me.  Which, in itself, is pretty damn cozy.  And hygge.
  • The amazing thing to me, in this instance, is that this woman was able to sustain a 40 minute discussion on it. I made it to about 16 minutes before I was ready to pull my hair out - coupled with the (re-)realization of the shallowness of some of humanity's interests. I was originally going to go to Aarhus this summer (no 'trends" influence), but am finding that I just won't have the time. Maybe this is a good thing(?) because then I won't be inundated by pillows embroidered with "hygge." 
  • Heh ! - after 15 minutes I ran out of patience too . . .

The opening of the Aarhus Capital of Culture back in january was spectacular.
  • Actually, I was only able to make it through about 30 seconds of that podcast before I had to shut it off... it was destroying the room hygge.  I hit the play button on some Andreas Soderstrom instead... totes hygge.
  • Thanks for the Aarhus vids. The second one is not available, but there were plenty of others on YouTube. It reminds me of my trips to Linz - the first of which was actually when they were the European Capital of Culture in 2009. I have quite a bit of it documented on my website. I had hoped to be able to learn to speak some of the Danish language (as well as become more familiar with the currency) before going, but it looks like it's not going to happen this year. The city's website showing scheduled events for the year was a bit of a mess. I think I mentioned this and frustrations here a couple of times, but received no replies about activities to see or do, so, those aspects and some local things that I felt needed to be attended to here worked towards my having less interest in doing this trip. Hey, it's money that can be used to fix-up the front bathroom. :smile: 
  • edited June 2017
    @rostasi - By the way, the music in the first part of the first video is a 700 year old song written in runes, "Drømte Mig En Drøm I Nat"
    (don't mind the wiki spelling)

- A song that sits firmly in the collective danish conciousness, that goes at least for people of my generation, partly or mainly because it was the theme or jingle to the Danish National Radio for many years. . . way back when there was only 2 danish channels to choose from.

Here it is with english subtitles:

I love that song.
  • Thanks! Here's another (from the "Hmm" compilation):

• Yup ! That's Thomas Knak ( Future3 - System - Björk procucer,  AMO)
    - Great guy.
  • Ted Gioia tweeted this out this morning: "(Un)popular music and young audiences: Exploring the classical chamber music concert from the perspective of young adult listeners" (Whole paper at PDF link)

"We demonstrate how the emotional, responsive listening of popular music conflicted with the etiquette of the concert hall and the structures of classical music."

As one who came to classical rather late, I can sort of relate...I don't know how to act like all you snobby snobs, and who would want to anyway
  • Soundcloud appears to be in financial straits, after laying off a bunch of people last week. Chance to the rescue...Is there anything he can't do?
  • Apple confirms iPod nano and iPod shuffle have been discontinued. I immediately found a shuffle in stock at Best Buy, which I will pick up today.

Irreplaceable workout equipment for me. Will never understand how people can go running with their $500 iPhones.     

• Will never understand how people can go running with their $500 iPhones. 

For me it would be a good excuse not to go running! (If I ever went running......)

• edited August 2017

Ben Frost - Threshold Of Faith (Official Video)
    Threshold Of Faith, taken from the forthcoming album 'The Centre Cannot Hold' - out 29th September 2017 on Mute. Recorded with Steve Albini.
  • Thanks rostasi - quite a find!

• Something to look forward to:

Music titan Kamasi Washington’s new EP Harmony of Difference, the first new music from Washington since his universally acclaimed 2015 debut album The Epic, is out September 29 via Young Turks.

Harmony of Difference premiered as part of the Whitney Museum of American Art 2017 Biennial alongside a film by A.G. Rojas and also featuring artwork by Kamasi Washington’s sister, Amani Washington. The new music is an original six part suite that explores the philosophical possibilities of the musical technique known as “counterpoint,” which Washington defines as “the art of balancing similarity and difference to create harmony between separate melodies.” Beyond the artistic impulse to expand the possibilities within counterpoint, Washington wanted to create something that opened people’s minds to the gift of diversity.

Each of the first five movements is its own unique composition. “Truth,” the sixth movement, fuses all five compositions into one simultaneous performance. Echoing this fusion, Amani created five paintings focused on raw shapes and colors, each inspired by one of the first five movements of the suite. Amani then combined these paintings to create a sixth: an abstract depiction of a human face.

The film, directed by A.G. Rojas, brings the metaphoric ideas found in both the music and paintings to life. While still quite abstract, it focuses on the harmony found in people from South Central and East Los Angeles and shows the beauty in their differences.

“My hope is that witnessing the beautiful harmony created by merging different musical melodies will help people realize the beauty in our own differ

Tracklisting:

1. Desire
    2. Humility
    3. Knowledge
    4. Perspective
    5. Integrity
    6. Truth

• I'm hoping to catch up with Kamasi somewhere on that tour. He's coming here to Chicago, but in one of my least-favorite venues (ie, the Riviera Theatre, aka beer-soaked barn). Thought about going to Detroit, but the theatre doesn't sound much better. Might make a play to go up to Minn, where he's appearing at @cafreema's favorite place, First Avenue
  • edited August 2017

• Great to hear Kumar Washington has a new release. The question is, though,will it be available on emusic???
  • edited August 2017
    A couple of months ago, I uploaded a track from 2006 by 1000 Hours of Staring on Soundcloud and now they (he, she ?) are/is:
    "back from a long break."

I'd like to think that these two events are related, but you never know . . .