Best Albums Of 2015

13»

Comments

• edited December 2015
    The Rudresh Mahanthappa has so many accolades from those in the know I feel I should maybe grab it with some courtesy credit just as part of my ongoing jazz education.
    (Then I would have two of the top 10)
  • edited December 2015
    Funny, I love ambient, I like Max Richter, but the times I dipped into the Sleep album did not draw me in. And the same thing has been done before (at the same great length) by Robert Rich on Somnium, and I like his better.
    But great to see Esmerine finally get some notice - that album will be on my list, as will the Ian William Craig. Some other things there for me to check out.
  • edited December 2015

ETA: Hmmm? Those links doesn't always want to stay there:
    http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9773-the-best-experimental-albums-of-2015/ 
  • djhdjh
    edited December 2015
    cafreema said:
    You haven't missed it on other lists, because it doesn't deserve to be there, but NPR music listeners love them some Florence.  I actually haven't really cared for most of her stuff since the debut (I feel like she actually took some chances on that one and everything since has been ridiculously safe).

Craig
    She wrote, or rather her band mate, female, wrote most of the first album across the yard from where I work. I love me some Noise, Improv etc. but that out of tune caterwauling shit was the limit. Basically wore the clothes (cheap version) before the sound was there. Horrible. EDIT - Sorry wasn't exactly full of seasonal good cheer, just had a nasty flashback - must be too many mince pies or something. ;)
  • edited December 2015

The 2015 Brainwashed Readers' Poll!

- Round 2: The Voting Round

Voting will take place through the end of 2015. Results will be posted in 2016.
  • Here's the Wire list (this is a transcription of their actual list by album of the year, not a compilation based on ratings);

http://m.albumoftheyear.org/list/495-the-wires-best-releases-of-2015/
  • edited December 2015
    Rounding up the "Best Jazz of 2015" lists from St Louis Jazz Notes - Dozens of 'em

Here's an interesting one: A Jazz Noise - The Best Jazz & Noise of 2015…? Lots of streams/videos

Not quite complete yet! Dave Sumner, Bird Is The Worm - Best of 2015
  • edited January 2016
    Here's my top 20 at Musicisgood: http://musicisgood.org/2016/01/top-20-of-2015-david-smith/#more-5218

Should command universal assent, I would think.
  • Nice. I def want to check out that kora album at least. I kind of forgot about Nils Frahm, I enjoyed that one
  • edited January 2016

The 2015 Brainwashed Readers' Poll!

- Round 3: The results.

As usual with sometimes funny, sometimes interesting comments from the Brainwashed staff.
    - as an example these ones about #8 (my #4)
    Thighpaulsandra, "The Golden Communion" (Editions Mego)

"This should be at number one and for me as it is the definitive album of the year. Considering it has been worked on for so long, it is amazing that it still sounds as forward-thinking and mind-bendingly current as it does. Like his earlier albums and EPs, there is so much going on here that it will keep me guessing and listening carefully for years."
    - John Kealy
    T"his record should come as no surprise to anyone following his solo career beginning with I, Thighpaulsandra. The album plays like a film composed of a variety of scenes depicting the various stages of the life of Mr. Lewis, all which take the form of songs which pay tribute to a number of his favorite genres while maintaining a solid forward momentum. It can be thick at times but it is very rewarding."
    - Jon Whitney
    "Definitely the most ambitious record of the year."  
    - Anthony D'Amico

• edited January 2016
    How is Aurora Liminalis on that list when it was released in February 2013????

Favorite comment:

*AR, "Diagrams for the Summoning of Wolves" (Corbel Stone Press)

A solid, but unexceptional addition to Richard Skelton's oft-brilliant oeuvre.  I'd like it a lot more if it at least summoned wolves.  -Anthony D'Amico
  • To my surprise, this showed up in my inbox:

2015's Top Classical Downloads
    For eMusic Classical fans, few activities top finding the best albums with like-minded people who care about the music. In a final look-back at 2015, here are the top downloaded Classical albums and artists. Enjoy!

-eMusic Team
    Seattle Symphony Orchestra Lubomyr Melnyk
    John Luther Adams: Become Ocean Melnyk: Rivers and Streams
    $5.99 $7.50
    Nils Frahm Vicky Chow
    Wintermusik Tristan Perich: Surface Image
    $5.60 $5.99
    Pavel Haas Quartet Halle
    Smetana: String Quartets Nos. 1 "From My Life" & 2 Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony
    $3.92 $6.49
  • edited January 2016
    Thanks for sharing that. The miser in me was intrigued enough by the $3.92 price tag on that Smetana to listen to samples and find this excellent review. (Naturally counterbalanced by this negative one). Might just grab that.
  • Yet another list:

The Big City - Best Classical Recordings 2015

- For me, the new music list is the most interesting (with the Pisaro album as #1).
  • edited January 2016
    Well, I have one from that list, with a story attached. My daughter put the Grimes album on her Christmas list and her grandad was assigned to order it for her. We realized a couple days before Christmas that this had not been accomplished, by which time he was off on a cruise. My wife visited a couple of local stores with no luck. Barnes and Noble said they had it and it was in their computer but they could not find it. So Christmas Eve I phone Vertigo records and they have a copy...I jump in the car and race downtown, arriving 15 minutes later...about four minutes after they sold it. I am about to leave when one of the guys remembers they had been playing a copy in store. Ten minutes of a couple of guys digging around in a big stack of junk in the corner later, one of them emerges triumphantly with a copy and sells it to me for $5,

So apart from that a bunch of stuff for me to check out. I must confess that MIguel album cover made me cringe this year every time I saw it. Just an egregious example of the reduction of women to depersonalized body parts. Have not heard the music, just commenting on the cover, which I find a bit of a stumbling block.

And...no Miaow the Jewels? :-)
    "the high-water mark for cat-sound records" - El-P

Seriously, thanks Craig. Which one would you pick as 'album that someone who is not in this wheelhouse should give a listen to'?
  • I actually listened to Kendrick Lamar! (Because of Kamasi & Thundercat)
  • That Miguel cover is atrocious.  Just awful in every way.

I do love Meow the Jewels, but only half for the music and half because it's so damn ridiculous!

Tough to say which one for not in the wheelhouse.  If you're looking for something not hip hop, I'd say maybe the Tame Impala.  The combination of dance and psych rock can be really interesting.

Craig
  • Well, I like *some* hip hop. But I'll try the tame impala. It's a good band name.
  • Guys, one to try is the Ghostpoet album shedding skin which I think is streaming on Bandcamp and is on E Music. I am not one for hip hop but loved this one. It went up for a Mercury Prize in the UK this year
  • Out of Craig's list (huh), I'd plug for the one I have, which is Kendrick; it's a great album; GP I thought you had liked the last Kendrick album a little; this one's even better.
  • Seems to me Gp would enjoy Beach House pretty easily. And I kinda think many people might unexpectedly enjoy Courtney Barnett.
  • I think I tried the courtney barnett when it was free on Google one week...
  • edited March 2016
    What, too late? The fact is I just discovered the blog of pianist Noah Baerman, who has some interesting picks.  Pleased to see him name George Cables no. 1.  Also mentions several other favorites of mine, which makes me want to check out the ones I haven't heard yet.  This despite the temerity of placing Kamasi 19 of 20!
  • I stumbled across the Courtney Barnett album a couple of months ago and like it a lot.  The only other ones on Craig's list I have heard are Titus Andronicus and Sleater-Kinney, both of which are really good.
  • @Doofy, that's a really interesting list. Most are on emusic and I am hearing a lot I like in the samples on several of them. Some new names to me too. Thanks for posting.
  • edited March 2016
    Prof, then you might like this list of Unjustly Obscure Jazz Albums, which I actually found first!  (When looking up the above posted elsewhere Jaki Byard album, which is on it) Several on this piano-centric list also at eMu