Emusic Beta

Comments

• Unusually frequent "album not available" msgs in the past few days.  Also got a "site down for maintenance" msg and hope it's just a temporary hiccup.
  • Merge and Because appear to beback in the UK, maybe a temporary blip?
  • Onward and upward. From 7digital today:

Dear Customer,

We are making improvements to the way you purchase music from the 7digital download store. From 14th August 2019 we will only accept purchases via PayPal, a widely-used and secure method of making payments. 

https://mailchi.mp/53d17e8e07f3/were-updating-the-way-you-buy-music-with-us?e=8a58919b3b

• "we are making improvements...by reducing your options"
    ?
  • "we are making improvements...by reducing your options"
    ?
    Now don't you all feel a bit foolish complaining about eMusic drastically reducing its catalog down to nothing?  You people don't recognize an improvement when it's staring you right in the face.
  • eMusic, the Marie Kondo way!  :p
  • rostasi said:
    eMusic, the Marie Kondo way!  :p
    Except instead of removing all the bits that didn't make us feel joy, they removed all the bits that did. The Odnok way.
  • edited August 2019
    I wonder if a similar letter went out to labels and artists:

Dear Artist or Label Owner,

We are making improvements to the way we get paid when someone purchases your music from the 7Digital download store.  From 14th August 2019 we will only make payments with small rocks, a form of payment familiar to all artists and labels who have dealt with eMusic in the past several years.     ;-)
  • soulcoal said:
      From 14th August 2019 we will only make payments with small rocks, a form of payment familiar to all artists and labels who have dealt with eMusic in the past several years.     ;-)
    Closeup of small rocks  Free Stock Photo . . . ? . . . Hmmm !
  • @soulcoal - " we will only make payments with small rocks"

What about other things that float?

• ^^^   Like... a duck?  ;-)
  • "That's no duck.  I only ate chickens yesterday."
  • edited August 2019
    Just to say that Homer Flynn (The Residents) speaks about Emusic in this interview.
    (about 13 minutes in)
  • Just to say that Homer Flynn (The Residents) speaks about Emusic in this interview.

Two notes of interest (at least to me...):

1) That interview took place in May 2016 (or at least was posted to YouTube then).  I wonder if Homer still has his subscription in August 2019?

2) You will not find a single Residents album on eMusic today.   (Can't recall the status historically, but I wonder if knowing that eMusic hasn't been paying artists and labels impacts his view of eMusic, even as a place to look for obscure music?)

• I was going to pitch a subscription to a lover of the obscure with the Residents as a centerpiece and had to change plans abruptly.  Cryptic Corp bit it in the last few weeks.
  • edited September 2019
    See below, a response from the eMusic team to a request for info on what's happening with all things eMusic.

"Hey Peter,
    Thanks for reaching out.
    I'm happy to say that we have recently closed a big deal that now allows us to resume our negotiations with our label partners in order to get our catalog back to what it used to be.
    However, as this has been taking longer than what we have initially expected I feel like giving an exact or even approx. date that we cannot realistically obligate to would not serve our great customers.
    I can tell you that things are moving in a good direction and we expect that it wouldn't be too long before they come into fruition.

Thank you for your support and your patience
    Shany"

It would be great if it happens but prudence suggests that we wait and see.
  • Thanks Peter for the info. I shall wait before rejoining, but I hope rather than expect that it may be the case
  • Oh dear. As well as Merge, some of my remaining favourite labels have just gone including Last Word, Jazzman and Concert Live. So about 40 albums have disappeared from my Wish List. The bright side is that I still have 169 albums plus 106 individual tracks on the aforementioned list!
  • Are there even moderators on the eMusic reddit page anymore or has eMusic more or less abandoned that thing?
  • Haven't seen any there for a while, other than one rerply 3 or 4 weeks ago
  • jonahpwll said:
    Are there even moderators on the eMusic reddit page anymore or has eMusic more or less abandoned that thing?

I think you could replace "moderators on the eMusic reddit page" with "employees at eMusic" and the answer would be roughly the same.   They obviously still have at least two people - Tamir (CEO) to post tweets, and someone to handle the account cancellation requests.   That might be about it at this point.    My real sense (based on recent tweet content from Tamir) is that they have more or less abandoned ship at eMusic and are now hanging their hats at 7Digital.   The eMusic CEO and CFO are essentially running the show there now, and I would guess all their focus is on turning 7Dig assets into their blockchain pot of gold.
  • That'd be quite a skeleton crew, but a Manhattan office might still seem crowded rather than cavernous with two people in it.
  • omnifoo said:
    That'd be quite a skeleton crew, but a Manhattan office might still seem crowded rather than cavernous with two people in it.
    Two words (really one, but what fun is there in that?): "Sub" and "Lease"   ;-)     
  • I notice that  there's been an update that shows albums/tracks priced in £/$ or Emu Tokens.

I assume that means there's some progress on the blockchain front (or they're bluffing)

Doesn't change the fact that they just lost Merge, which means half of my wish list has gone too...
  • edited October 2019
    I notice that  there's been an update that shows albums/tracks priced in £/$ or Emu Tokens.

I assume that means there's some progress on the blockchain front (or they're bluffing)
    Hmmmm ?
    Yeah, and if you try to purchase with ET's, you need to connect to your "wallet" with this
    m.....f..... :

I should have some tokens somewhere, but I can't be bothered to try . . .
  • I've just looked to see if the price is the same in £ - it is. A pop-up offered me £50 in credit to join again. That's 119 tracks, around 10-12 albums. I would be tempted if I could fnd that number of albums that I wanted to download, and to listen to in priority to others I have, so I've decided to pass.
  • greg said:
    I've just looked to see if the price is the same in £ - it is. A pop-up offered me £50 in credit to join again. That's 119 tracks, around 10-12 albums. I would be tempted if I could fnd that number of albums that I wanted to download, and to listen to in priority to others I have, so I've decided to pass.

The small print indicates that the offer is only for new users, so I doubt you'll get the credit by rejoining. Misleading much.

• JonJon
    edited October 2019
    You'll get the credit if you use a slightly different email. With gmail you just need to add +whatever to you address and it will be seen as a new account, but go to your same inbox. I do it all the time. I join for a month, get the bonus buy a booster pack or two, cancel. Rinse, repeat. I've done it dozens of times over the past few years.
  • The US regulatory front is, if anything, moving further away from the position eMusic had originally hoped to obtain (e.g. utility token not governed by usual investment rules).   So any possible hope of bringing blockchain to their retail site would still be, at best, a non-US proposition.   And it's pretty tough to imagine how they would make that work with a completely depleted catalogue, no US market for the blockchain, and a growing pile of debt from all the unpaid labels continuing to leave the site.   I still think they have no intent of resurrecting the retail site, and any changes in appearance are simply window dressing.     They (or at least the CEO) effectively own 7Digital now - at least in spirit if not in a literal sense - so perhaps they will shift their blockchain focus to 7Dig now, which, while having a modest retail presence, is mainly a B2B streaming business.