Jazz starter list

2»

Comments

• edited January 2015
    I'll second that Roy & Diz for sure.

The "Newport Rebels" is a classic. It's got kind of an interesting story behind it, for sure, and the line-up is outstanding. My only concern would be that it might not be the Roy you're looking for (so to speak). Great album to have, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFxiaN1dDKg

Another direction I'll send you in is Jazz in Paris series. Roy appears on Jazz & Cinema Vol. 2. I've always enjoyed the various JIP recordings, but admittedly some are stronger than others and I tend to view the JIP series as a whole rather than its individual parts/albums. Anyways, definitely worth checking out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VhBfQ0SS-U

Cheers.
  • Thanks, jonahpwll.
    On another topic, I spent an interesting hour going through your 2013 and 2012 BitW best of year lists. Found some interesting things and wondered what albums you would re-evaluate a couple of years on (since you made some strong claims about one or two being albums for the ages).
  • I'm going to be making a post pretty soon revisiting my Best of 2013 list. I did the same thing last year. Basically I mention any additional albums that would have made the list had I discovered them at the time. I'll have to look over them to see if there are any that maybe don't hold up so much. The 2013 is probably pretty solid, but the 2012 was my first real stab at a definitive list.
  • edited January 2015
    Yeah, I miss these conversations, good times.

Since I am no longer active at emu I can't even see what was on the "I don't know nuthin bout birthin no jazz" list of mine. I guess I thought I would never leave. I hope that list holds up to the competition.

I wonder if they still have it up. Anyone still active at emu, can you still access that list.

I don't know nothin bout birthin no jazz
  • Yes, I can access it. Most of what I've clicked on so far is no longer available at emusic (or not in the US); I'll keep grazing.