Great Album Covers

edited May 2 in General
Thanks to @djh for bringing up this topic. My preference is for covers from the 1960s and 1970s, particularly the psychedelic ones but it's totally up to you.

So I'll start with one of my all-time favourites "Wow" by Moby Grape and I just love the track "Can't Be So Bad".

The Album Cover Art Gallery website says "Surrealistic deco art on both covers and lyrics reflecting the turmoil of the changing times make for an interesting slice of the sixties".

http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/M/moby_grape_wow.html

Comments

• Bought this when I was 12. Limited edition that came with "the key."
    If you've seen the film, then you know what that means.

• @rostasi Don't know how I missed it...I was a fan of that flick in those scifi-starved days, and would have swooned over that packaging. Of course Gil Melle's name would have meant nothing to me, will have to give a listen
  • edited May 5

Rare Gil Mellé Percussotron Footage Andromeda Strain Soundtrack

Caption for uncredited photo on page 9 of booklet: Gil Mellé playing the world's first drum machine, Percussotron III, in 1969 - for the "Andromeda Strain" (Michael Crichton) film score. It was designed and built by Mellé as well as two earlier versions in 1965.

• Difficult to go past "Disraeli Gears" by Cream for a classic 1960s psychedelic album cover!

• How Well Do Know You The Beatles White Album uDiscover Music Quiz

In complete contrast to Disraeli Gears, but a near contemporary cover, is this. For the original LP cover I had you could hardly read the wording, basically plain white! 

• This is another cover I like!
  • edited May 6
  • Among the many of their great covers...

• Two of my personal faves.

• One of my favorite sets of album art is what came with the gatefold LP package for Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. This kind of stuff is where the LP format really shone.
    Unknown - JEFF WAYNE War of the worlds Double album with book featuring  Phil Lynott  - Amazoncom MusicJeff Wayne  Jeff Waynes Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds 03   VINYLSTORE
    Jeff Waynes Musical Version of the War of the WorldsJeff Waynes Musical Version of the War of the Worlds
    Lets Play Jeff Waynes Musical Version of The War of the Worlds German PSX  Full HD - First Mission - YouTube
    Brave New World artwork from Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds album  War  of the worlds World images Brave new world

reticulatedcurvirectilinear tracery bonanza on Twitter out of the hood  hung red shreds at which the hungry birds now pecked and tore Painting by  Geoff Taylor for Jeff Waynes Musical Version of The

• edited May 6
    And I also think this artwork from a much more recent and much less famous prog album is pretty great:
    Incantation part 1  Karfagen  Antony Kalugin
  • edited May 7
    "Tales From Topographical Oceans" by Yes, a classic cover by Roger Deans.

Below is Roger's story behind the design of the cover.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-roger-deans-artwork-for-yes-tales-from-topographic-oceans