New & Notable releases

Comments

• edited November 2011
    - Yeah, me again . . .

300x300.jpg
    (etre) - Inferno From My Occult Diary

"(etre) is the project of Italian experimental musician Salvatore Borrelli and “Inferno From My Occult Diary” is his strongest work to date. (etre) layers a multitude of instruments, electronics and field recordings to create a dream like snap-shot of a particular time and place in his life. His musical approach is based on new and old methods of reworking soundscapes including minimalism, improvisation and electro-acoustic. Emotionally “Inferno From My Occult Diary” evokes a dark ritualistic tone but with cracks of warmth and humanity scattered about."
    - Porter Records.

- Some may ask, Where have I seen this artist before ?
    Here: 100x100.jpg

http://etre.bandcamp.com/ - Suggested listening: 2052264267-1.jpg

ETA: @ Germanprof . . .
    By some strange coincidence, track 5 of "Inferno" is called: Conseguito Silenzio (for Paul Celan) - (a strange but magic track)
  • edited October 2011
    300x300.jpg
    "The first ever collaboration between prolific american composer Tomas Phillips and prominent italian newcomer Luigi Turra, "Vignettes Amplifie" presents a sequence of subtle sound constructions characterized by minimalistic and contemplative approach. Quiet field recordings, soft acoustic sounds and organic electronic arrangements builds panoramic view on two levels. The acoustic gestures like bells, manipulated objects and drone fragments are coming from silence and disappearing after some time. On the other hand, there is a kind of reflection of these sonic events in the background, muted and abstracted, hiding from your ears. But these microscopic sounds, short and forgetful, seems to be the main part of the whole thing - when you are trying to trace them down, to catch your attention, and to understand the aesthetical value of this music. Shy and confused, these sounds represents the soul of this music, but in fact they are just grow and fade away like the autumn rain. This album will teach you how to turn your mind into ears, hunting for every little susurration in total silence."
    - Nitkie.ru
  • edited November 2015
    300x300.jpg
    Maurizio Bianchi - Apokalypsis XXIII
    "In August 2010, Maurizio Bianchi officially announced his retirement from musical scene. "Apokalypsis XXIII" is his last ever electronic music album, recorded in Summer of 2010. All the latest albums appeared after that are in fact re-issues of older works or the collaborations with other artists using his sound sources. Like other solo albums of Maurizio Bianchi, "Apokalypsis XXIII" has religious roots and consists of four long tracks, each of those divided into further sections titled after verses taken from "Book of Revelation", the most mysterious and most scary part of New Testament. Many artists found the inspiration around these themes, apocalyptical images were used by painters and sculptors during the crisis periods of mankind history: Middle Ages, Renascence, end of XIX century etc. Hopefully, this album will drive attention to the world around us, and especially if keeping in mind the most recent accidents and disasters, these days it becomes more actual than ever."
    - Nitkie.ru.

ETA:
    "Bianchi began to produce music in 1979, and since 1980 has used electronic equipment with the avowed goal "to produce technological sounds and in such a way to work on complete realising of the modern decadence".

In the beginning, he published tapes under the alias Sacher-Pelz. In 1981, William Bennett, head of the band Whitehouse and the British Come Org. label, offered Bianchi a record contract, which Bianchi signed unchecked. It was based on a "joke contract" that Steven Stapleton of Nurse With Wound had sketched. The contract assumed all rights to Bianchi's work. After delivery of the tapes Bennett edited-in speeches by Nazi leaders, and instead of the relatively unsensational name MB, it was published under the alias Leibstandarte SS MB, named after the SS unit that worked as bodyguards to Adolf Hitler.

Until 1984, Bianchi published on other labels intensively as either MB or simply Maurizio Bianchi, sometimes several albums and/or tapes per year, as well as numerous tracks to compilations.

Bianchi became religious and withdrew from the music business. Much of his work is sought today by collectors, especially as they appeared in extremely small editions. In 1998, encouraged by Alga Marghen label head Emanuele Carcano, who offered him a label of his own, Maurizio Bianchi started again to make music. The label is EEs'T Records, through which he released new editions of all old MB albums, as well as many new releases.

Therefore, since 1997, he was back on the underground scene, working on several projects both in solo or in collaboration with other Italian artists (Giuseppe Verticchio/NIMH, Arnaldo Pontis and Corrado Altieri/TH26, Davide Femia/MDT, Saverio Evangelista, Matteo "Hue" Uggeri/Sparkle in Grey, Emanuela De Angelis and Eugenio Maggi/Cr
  • edited October 2011
    12k1067crop-300x300.jpg

Shizuku by Illuha

Very much within the recent 12k aesthetic. Released today. Not on emusic yet but on spotify already. Well described here:
    12k presents Shizuku, the debut album from Illuha (a play off the word “island” in Portugese) comprised of Tokyo residents Corey Fuller and Tomoyoshi Date. Shizuku was recorded in a 100-year old church in Bellingham, Washington and the duo used ambient and quad-microphone techniques to capture the natural acoustics of the high-vaulted ceilings, wooden floors, stained glass and the natural resonances of the space.

A beautiful variety of instruments were used to create the soft tones of the album at once like liquid and at the same time like air. Pipe organ, vibraphone, dulcimer, accordion, rhodes, piano, and analog synthesizer are only a selection of what was used to create the rich, and tonally warm sound of the album. It’s as if movements and textures were dropped into the ocean to let float around and combine with others that touched. Field recordings and the most delicate touch of computer processing give a modern feel to this electro-acoustic world.

ETA: It's on emusic now. (And on my hard drive :-))
  • edited October 2011
    3424647435-1.jpg
    Trayer - Afterlife an Abandoned Theme Park

"Imagine if Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Boards of Canada and Frank Zappa had babies, lots of them. Some babies were charming and chosen, others illegitimate and rotten. They were taken from the sappy rectangles and raised in a forgotten old barn. Some grew into gentlemen, some into crackheads, some into family, some into devices of defiant purpose. They became a ship, right there in the woods, and conjured an ocean into your facehole, politely requesting to populate you with their gorgeous, dechristianized ghost panic.

Trayer's second album “Afterlife an Abandoned Theme park” takes the listener through 17 spaces exhibiting a thick, dichotic textural pallet contrasting hope and darkness, humor and melancholy, speed and quiet; showing us to live while dying. Recorded through lifetimes, across homes and people, from conception to foreclosure and way beyond, "Afterlife..." is separated into three distinct listens. . . . ."
    - More @ Porter Records.

- Some tracks @ Bandcamp

- unbelievable !
  • pleistocene.jpg

This 3rd album by A.J. Roach was released in March of 2011, but escaped my notice until now which I guess is unstandable since I haven't found it listed at any of the other digital music sites I've visited lately, including Amazon. Emusic doesn't have it, either, but they do have Roach's previous two albums which are very good. I think I included one or or both of them in one of my lists when I was an emu member. Roach makes a unique impression with his particular style of Appalachian-tinged folk and really outstanding songwriting.
    "With 'Pleistocene' -- his third full-length record -- Roach further demonstrates his evolution as an artist and a songwriter by moving away from music that evokes the regional sound of his boyhood home. Here the rolling hills and dark hollows of Appalachia have been transformed into the towering skyline of Roach's adopted hometown of New York City. The fiddles and mandolins have been replaced by clarinets and fleugelhorns; the footstomps by a whispering snare drum. The result is a lushly orchestrated and beautifully arranged album completely funded by his dedicated and ever-growing fan base." - from Roachmusic.com (link provided below)

Roachmusic.com

BBC Celtic Connections 2011

emusic link to Roach's two previous albums.
  • @Brighternow - did you notice how well the album art of my post complements yours?
  • edited July 2016
    @Kez - Yeah - and both of them are great cover art.

600x600.jpg
    Soriah: Vocals, Igil, Doshpuluur, Zither, Doumbek and other hand percussion, Aztec Clay Flute and Native American Cedar Flutes, Bells, Stones and Sticks.
    Ashkelon Sain: Keyboards, Acoustic and Electric Guitars, Electric Bass, Bells, Electronic Drums.
    Nachyn Choduu: Tuvan Guitar on "Amochantzinco."

"Soriah's virtuoso Tuvan throat-singing, Central Asian stringed instruments and hand percussion is perfectly melded with the neo-ancient airs of Ashkelon Sain's exquisite darkwave guitars, celestial electronics, and hypnotizing poly-rhythms. Eztica has its roots in the ceremonial: ritualism, shamanism, butoh. It is a deeply organic experience, the voice drawing out the primordial spell, touching the earth, reaching for the sky. Captivating percussive sections with driven vocals glide effortlessly across windswept steppes, while otherworldly overtones hang like clouds in a frosted mountain range, all amid deep expanses of slowly shifting, mesmerizing tones. And when the Quetzalcoatl Kundalini of Soriah’s lyrical throat singing fires down the spine, everything goes astral. . . . . ."

- Much more @ Project.com.
  • 300x300.jpg
    "Exile is the new Charalambides album. Five years in the making, it was recorded between 2006 and 2010 in various locations in New Hampshire, western Massachusetts and New York City, mixed at Black Dirt Studios, and mastered at Sand with Paul Gold. The group remains the core duo of Christina and Tom Carter, with contributions on one track by the string section of Helena Espvall and Margarida Garcia.
    Deeply imbued with the full historical spectrum of american folk and blues song form, Exile is a tapestry of suppliant invocations directed at the heart of the unseen spiritual forces surrounding us. Dense arrangements and thickly-overdubbed tracks sit side-by-side with material that ranks among the sparest and most skeletal the group has recorded, giving Exile the psychic scope of their classic Market Square album while building on the refinements of the more recent Likeness and A Vintage Burden releases.
    This album quite coincidentally marks Charalambides' 20th anniversary, as it was the fall of 1991 when they first started playing, and they made their live debut in December of that year. Since their last album, Tom Carter has released a series of collaborations and solo works on a wide array of labels, while Christina Carter has been steadily releasing her solo work through labels including her own Many Breaths imprint."

- http://kranky.net/.
  • 2914764316-1.jpg
    Jeremy Bible & Jason Henry - Spc
    "So finally, to bring an end to the first series on Tokyo Droning, are my old mate Jeremy Bible and his old mate Jason Henry. There is so much I could say but it would speal off in all sorts of directions. OK, so first up Jeremy runs the awesome Experimedia label and store which he set up with Jason ages ago, but then many of you would know that already. So how about a few things you might not expect? Jason's Halfadder moniker is some of the most fun electronica I have ever heard and 'Robots Will Love Religion' is still a household favourite, which is quite rare for me. Jeremy's solo release 'I Am Very Uncomfortable Most Of The Time' is a record that changed how I listen to music to a degree. The record is endlessly inventive, beautiful, dark, sad with lovely shades of light, crossing genres without even a hint of awkwardness in the process.

Since then, jbjh have moved on to release on such exceptional labels as Infraction, Gruenrekorder, Abgurd, Mystery Sea and Resting Bell to name a few. Their work is often done live so that they can feed of each other in a direct and open way. spc is an exceptional work focusing on beautiful high frequencies, white noise squalls and deep bass tones. The amazing thing about spc (as with all their recent work), is their inate ability to create an environment with the most minimal of sounds, a world which you enter and hear and see things in such a unique way. This encompassing quality is so rare in most works, and is even rarer when talking about rhythmic white and pink noise, distortion elements and the like, which envelope you like a rich blanket of sound. I know it might sound dark, and most times when such techniques and sources are used you would be right, but I dare you to enter the seemingly dark world of spc, and come out invigorated. It is one heck of a journey."

- Tokio Droning
    - Bandcamp
  • @Brighternow

Here's that Hauska - Serein link...

http://www.serein.co.uk/news/2011/10/preview-hauschkas-youyoume-serein

It now has an audio preview. The album is called "Youyoume".

Cheers.
  • edited July 2012
    @ Jonah . . .
    - Great ! - Thank you.

300x300.jpg
    David Wenngren & Christopher Bissonnette - The Meridians of Longitude and Parallels of Latitude

Release description:
    - "Whilst most of you will know of our love for David Wenngren (of Library Tapes fame, of course), Christopher Bissonnette’s ‘In Between Words’ release on Kranky has long been a personal favourite around these parts. So when I heard about their collaboration I almost fell over myself with excitement. The result is the beautiful and noisily freckled masterpiece ‘The Meridians of Longitude and Parallels of Latitude’, mastered by the lovely Taylor Deupree. In many ways the record is a perfect hybrid of their sound, almost the truest of collaborations if you will. It is also a true Home Normal release, fitting of our original intentions for release of works. It is of a drone-like nature, yet at once melodic, intense and possessing a naturally organic graininess and warmth we so love. The cover art is a perfect match for the sound: beautiful, serene, yet freckled and blurred like a frosty window pane. The music is that of a dream, a dusty memory of something beautiful, retaining its alluring being in that which is hidden, seen but not fully recognisable."
    Home Normal.

ETA: Soundcloud.
  • @BN or anybody.

I just noticed that emu has the whole line of the Sonic PIeces label... except the album I really want from them... Frahm's "Wintermusik". Does anybody know why emu isn't carrying it? I'm thinking I'm gonna try contacting the label about it, because I would definitely drop some money on that album.
  • I just emailed Sonic Pieces and asked for them to offer Wintermusik on emusic.
  • edited October 2011
    @Jonah . . . I don't know anything, but I'm interested in SP's reply.

From the Plastikman archives (11 albums):
    300x300.jpg arkives_smaller.gif
    "About arkives:
    Richie Hawtin's triumphant return to the stage as Plastikman in 2010 proved that his best-known alias is as innovative and as relevant as ever. Hawtin has taken Plastikman's most classic material, originally released between 1993 and 2003, and reworked it for a truly live performance accompanied by mind-bending, synchronized visuals—a sound and light show like no other, one that collapses the distance between present-day festivals and the uncompromisingly underground warehouse parties of the mid '90s.
    For many attendees, this is their first taste of Plastikman. Since 2003, Hawtin has been far better known simply as Richie Hawtin, the celebrated DJ and mastermind behind the Minus label. Some fans today were still infants when Plastikman's acid ripple first began streaming from Hawtin's basement studio in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
    For long-time devotees and new fans alike, Hawtin now presents Plastikman's Arkives, a comprehensive box set that pulls together all 17 years of the Plastikman story so far, including remastered versions of all six previously released Plastikman albums and a trove of rarities, unreleased sessions and new material."
  • Sonic Pieces sent me a nice email back, of which the relevant part reads...
    thanks for your message and interest in sonic pieces.

Back then when I was releasing 'Wintermusik' I didn't have a digital distribution and also since Atelier Musik already released the album before as download, we decided that he keeps doing the digital for it. Later on it was re-released on Erased Tapes and as far as I know they are doing the digital distribution for it now also, but I have no idea which channels they are using.. So you see it isn't in my responsibility really, sorry.

Best wishes

I'm gonna try to get Erased Tapes to offer it on emusic next.

When I responded to Sonic, I mentioned this site as having some big fans of their label, so maybe they'll hop on board and treat us with some updates and music.

Even the albums on Sonic that I'm not into, I think those are good, too, y'know? The kind of albums I buy because I sense that I'll probably want to have it one day even if I'm not interested in listening to it now.
  • Hey ! - This is a pleasant surprise:

600x600.jpg

"After a six year break... Travels in the Dustland picks up the pieces like [The Walkabouts] have never been away, once more conjuring up a haunting, almost mythical American landscape of lost highways and endless skies... worthy of far wider attention."
    - http://www.thewalkabouts.com/
  • edited February 2015
    Abstruction+folder.jpg
    3ofmillions - Abstruction
    Adrian Lim-Klumpes: piano, rhodes, voice, electronics
    Abel Cross : bass guitar, voice, electronics
    Finn Ryan: drums, percussion, voice

"3ofmillions’ music is readily comparable with the likes of successful Sydney trios The Necks, Alister Spence Trio, and Klumpes’ previous trio project, Triosk, but distinguishes itself by the nature of their sonic palette and the unique interactive language Klumpes, Cross and Ryan have developed. As Australia’s only true electroacoustic piano trio, their spectrum of colour and texture is unsurpassed.
    With mix and mastering credits to Richard Belkner (Free Energy Device) and Oscar Gaona (301) respectively, this album is a lush document of one of Australia’s foremost improvising piano trios."
    - Rufus Records.

- Review.
    - One free track : http://www.3ofmillions.com/downloads.html.
  • edited February 2015
    Bresnick+Caprichos+Enfaticos+Cantaloupe+2011.jpg
    . . ."A concerto in eight movements for piano/keyboard and percussion quartet, Caprichos Enfaticos was commissioned by Meet the Composer for Cantaloupe artists Lisa Moore, pianist, and So Percussion. The 8 movements are accompanied by interpolated DVD projections (available on Youtube), created by Johanna Bresnick based on Francisco Goya's book of etchings Los Destastres de la Guerra, or The Disasters of War, a piece that laments the excesses and tragedies of war.
    Says Bresnick, "The titles of the eight movements are either by Goya himself, or suggested by his ideas. A farandula, or farandole, was a chain dance popular in Provence, although it's origins are much older. The dance is often in 6/8 time, with a moderate to fast tempo. In modern Spanish, a farandula is a company of actors."
    Martin Bresnick is presently the Professor of Composition and Coordinator of the Composition Department at the Yale School of Music. His principal teachers of composition include Gyorgy Ligeti, John Chowning, and Gottfried von Einem."[/]
    - Cantaloupe Music
  • edited February 2015
    - This one is not yet released but available for streaming (and preorder) @ hellosQuare Recordings / Bandcamp:

a0229243555_2.jpg
    Pollen Trio - Roll Slow

"Following on from the release of long-form teaser 'p e a k s' earlier this year, Pollen Trio rejoin the hellosQuare fold for the release of their first album 'Roll Slow'. This journey through collaged acoustic sound sees the trio evolve from a idea first developed on '230509' with the addition of Miroslav Bukovsky on trumpet and percussion. Touching on both spacious jazz melodies and textural clusters to create expansive compositions, this is a true statement of intent."
  • Thank you for sparing us the image.
  • Sorry for the J-Beebs Xmas roll. On the other hand, could it really be that much worse than the She and Him (He and Her?) Christmas album...
  • I suppose it is new and it is notable, if only to avoid!
  • edited December 2011
    @Doofy . . . OMB ! ! !

- Brand new from Lens Records, so far only available @ Bandcamp but are likely to show up @ Emusic:
    1465422572-1.jpg
    Dead Voices On Air - Michael and the Angels Fought
    - Features contributions from:
    the American-Serbian singer Ivana Salipur
    the British cellist Bela Emerson
    the Portland, Oregon throat-singer Soriah
    the French auteur, Philippe Petit
    the Toronto based electronic musician, Michael Morton (Displacer)
    the Massachusetts based guitarist Michael Page (Sky Burial)
    the keyboards of Lori Cole from Utah
    and cameos from Robin Storey (Rapoon) and Jared Louche

- Mindblowing !
    ETA: DVOA is Mark Spybey:
    . . ."One of those quiet, head down collaborators who folks seem to want to work with. Over the years he was part of Can guitarist Michael Karoli’s band Sofortkontakt! He’s toured with Michael Rother of Neu! and Dieter Moebius of Cluster and remixed Faust. He made albums with James Plotkin and worked with Mick Harris of Scorn. During his time in Vancouver, he became part of Download and has remained in close musical contact with cEvin Key and Phil Western. He’s released music with labels such as Klangbad, Kranky, Soleilmoon, Nettwerk, Invisible, Scratch, Spoon, Tourettes and Lens."

November.18.2011, ETA: Now @ Emusic
  • edited November 2011
    More than 4 tracks of the Bieb's Xmas and you'll need insulin and/or epinephrine.

edited to add:
    Aieee! That album is showing up in ads on Spotify. If they start running audio ads it's a dealbreaker.
  • 847980333-1.jpg
    Sealight - Dead Letters

"Dead Letters is the debut release from Sealight, a French/Australian group based in Paris, France.

Sealight combine aspects of acoustic folk music with lush, layered guitars, expressive vocals and ambient textures to create an immersive and distinctive sound. These elements are deftly interwoven throughout the five songs that comprise the group's debut EP Dead Letters.
    The lyrical content of the EP draws upon a collection of letters and texts surrounding the lives of the group’s families in France and Australia.
    Dead Letters was recorded at home in Paris by the band and mixed by producer Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins/Violet Indiana).

- Two cents: Anyone with a soft spot for Beth Gibbons' (Portishead) voice might enjoy this . . .
    - Emusic.
  • edited November 2011
    600x600.jpg

ETA: Soundcloud.
    "The “Flight” EP, is the second single from Edinburgh based quartet Hidden Orchestra, who released their stunning debut album ‘Night Walks’ on Tru Thoughts in September 2010, and have seen their star continue to rise in the intervening year with an ever-growing media and word-of-mouth buzz. Highly in demand as a live act, their touring schedule this year alone has taken in 20 countries as their incredible music has worked its way into hearts and minds the World over. This EP brings eagerly anticipated new material and remixes."
  • edited November 2011
    offfix-1.jpg?w=339&h=456

Part of a new series from a new label, Wist Rec ("Handy music handmade")
    Like the music industry before it, the publishing sector has just begun its’ struggles towards the digital realm and in this process, slowly stripping the book of its physical form. The words or meaning are not lost in this transition though something important is shed: the value of form and a reader’s connection with it.

The weight of a book on one’s hand.
    The tactile feeling of a matte finished or leather cover.
    The soft, rough sound of pages rubbing against one another.

The “Book Report Series” was conceived as way of involving the shifting state of literature with a community that would not only help to highlight the significance of a book’s physical form but also allow one to glean new, immediate connections between differing art forms.

Basically, each release is an artist's musical interpretation of a book in the Penguin Mini Classics series and the 3" CD comes packaged in the actual book. Was unable to resist the combo of Offthesky and H. G. Wells. Limited edition of 100.
  • 300x300.jpg

Inside The Ships by Tarwater

Good review of this here. (I agree with the reviewer about the lack of earworm-type hooks, but for me that's a strength, not a weakness. It's their combination of quirk, rhythm, organic melding of analog and digital, and outright literariness that has me hooked.)