New & Notable releases

Comments

• Taylor Deupree - Somi
    (Ships February 3)

CD comes with book of photographs.

Somi is the new full-length from Taylor Deupree following 2014’s Faint (12k1073/12k2025). The release comes packaged as a CD inside a 20-page hardbound book of Deupree’s photographs that inspired the creation of the music. For the music, made with a small number of instruments (electric piano, glockenspiel, DX7, handheld cassette recorder) Deupree originally set out to create a follow-up to his classic album Stil.. Steeped in subtle repetition and soft electronic sound, Stil. explored themes of time and change. However, Stil. was created with purely electronic means - software synthesizers and looping algorithms which explored the then-novel frontier of DSP based “microsound.” With a strong desire to bring the aesthetics of Stil. to his current way of working Deupree used no software or automatic looping, instead opting for the imperfections of creating “loops” by hand. The result is warm and quietly decayed work of spare, discreet tones and dozens of interwoven slow polyrhythms that create repetitions that constantly fall apart and shuffle themselves back together. While these ideas of phase relationships are not new in music, nor to Deupree’s catalogue of work, it was the way he approached the composing that was different, and more challenging, than his work in the past. Wrapped up warmly in the sonics of cassette players and cheap built-in speakers, Somi’s dusty melodies sit quietly, but uneasily, and question the passing of time and present one of Deupree’s most alluring albums to date. 

• Federico Durand - Pavel

This album is a musical approach to traditional children stories, which have a circular narrative, innocent and eerie at the same time. A haunting aura caught me while I was recording this music, in the attic of my home in La Cumbre, at dusk, as a fairy tale. Every piece of "Pavel" could be a company for rainy days, a train journey, in a park, walking under the stars after work, or during a nap: its melodies almost hypnotic will guide you towards to a dream state, as if you were inside your own legend of the forest. 

• Released Dec 9 but I just caught up with it.

The Sight Below - Reworks

Two reworks of TSB tracks. We uncovered a few stems (ones we thought were long gone) on the Ghostly server and decided to rework these tracks for a live performance in Poland at Festival Ambientalny on Dec 3, 2016. 
    Upon my return to the US, I decided to release these two versions, as a way to raise funds to help the victims of the Oakland Ghost Ship fire. I'm absolutely heartbroken. Not only a huge loss of life, but also of incredibly creative and talented people. It's a small community, and many friends of friends were affected. I've played at so many DIY spaces like Ghost Ship over the last 10+ years. So many artists friends live/work in similar settings. It just hits too close to home. My thoughts with everyone affected by this tragedy. If you can spare it, please consider donating something. Not only people lost their lives, but many others lost their homes and livelihood. Others will have mounting medical bills. Any little bit you can spare will help. 

• edited January 2017
    Newish (april 2016):

- "An Overview of Experimental and Electronic Music in Turkey: this anthology features 29 turkish artists: from the electronic music of the '60s to all forms of experimental music of the '10s. This is the second volume of an exploration by zone or sphere of influence. 

The constellation built between 2000 and 2012 with the seven-part series An Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music continues to expand through the Early Electronic collection (consisting mostly of tracks composed between the 50's and the 80's) and these 'area anthologies' (we prefer the phrase 'area of influence' to 'country'), this one having been preceded by An Anthology of Chinese Experimental Music 1992-2008.
    You probably noticed how larger is the time frame for this collection. The reason is that, in Turkey, two exceptional composers emerged very early on to show the way to future generations that followed in a piecemeal fashion. Indeed, Arel and Mimaroglu did not have immediate followers. The explosion happened later, through the 'serious music' of conservatories and universities (Cenk Ergün, Koray Tahiro?lu, Mehmet Can Özer...) and the electronic/noise music avant-garde ((Mete Sezgin, Nilüfer Ormanlı, Utku Tavil...) - the great wave of the 2000s and 2010s. The beauty of this album is found in its multifaceted nature; it features purely formal music, hijacked electronica, remnants of Turkish harmonies, and pieces that are more conceptual or even political (vaguely or strongly) in design. Batur Sönmez and Erdem Helvacıoglu have managed to capture this diversity and energy. And it so happens that this profusion of music related to an urgency to live and think freely is blooming within an increasingly-stifling space. Call it the spectacular beauty of an explosion."

- Sub Rosa - Boomkat review

• Newish (april 2016):

Is this the same series as the Chinese cd? Listened to some of that yesterday, v. interesting.
  • djh said:
    Newish (april 2016):

Is this the same series as the Chinese cd? Listened to some of that yesterday, v. interesting.
    I don't know, at least not from Sub Rosa, as far as I can see . . .
  • djh said:
    Newish (april 2016):

I don't know, at least not from Sub Rosa, as far as I can see . . .
    It is actually but it's not on the Boomkat site. I thought the design was too similar!

The 7 anthologies of noise and electronic music look like they need investigating too.
  • djh said:
    It is actually but it's not on the Boomkat site. I thought the design was too similar!

The 7 anthologies of noise and electronic music look like they need investigating too.
    Oh ! - there it was and on Sub rosa . . . Certainly calls for investigation
    - Thanks !
    ---------------------------------------------
    This album was released in 1970 and with copyright at Composers Voice in 2016.
    I seriously doubt that 1970 is correct, I find it more likely that she was born in 1970.

In any case this is an utterly mindblowing release:

Anna Mikhailova

After graduation Rotterdam University of Arts (Codarts) as a theater director (2013), Den Haag Royal Conservatory composition and sonology department (2011), Chicago Columbia University film music (2008, special programm), Moscow conservatory (2007) as a composer, organ player and koto player,  working with impro, jazz, pop, rock musician, dancers, collecting the folk songs in the folk expeditions, writing music for movies, animations, theater, performances, computer games, moving from on place to another, I discovered that the roots started to call me and my childhood dreams of what is all about, raised up and I just had to follow them and start to approach the music from the beginning again. 

I am in music from 6 years old and I love it, I love to speak this language and to discover the possibility of it. After working on several operas, performances, installations, which gave me an amazing experience of the team work and collaboration; playing in different bands, as techno, pop, impro, jazz, rock, industrial, experimental, I found out, that for me is more and more important not only to express myself through the music, but to find a new way to show the audience they personal reasons to be. (while listening to the language of music, experiencing the magic of theatre, getting lost in the exhibition place…)

https://www.unlistedprojects.com/project/anna-mikhailova/

• edited February 2017

Franck Dadure, saxophone, clarinette turque, électroniques
    & the Fakir Orchestra : Christophe Elliott Touzalin, trompette | Daniel Zimmermann, trombone | Frédéric Sachs, guitare | Dominique Grimaldi, basse | Fabien Duscombs, batterie.
    Signature / Radio France

- "Franck Dadure brilliantly charts an untraveled road in the jazz world by marrying it with finesse to electronics. From this union is born a language freed of any inhibition, defying adherence to any aesthetic school. To illustrate his project Franck Dadure brings together the cream of the French scene (Dominique Grimaldi, Fabien Duscombs, Fred Sachs, Elliott Touzalin and Daniel Zimmermann) giving birth to UMO (an unidentified musical object)."

Bandcamp
  • edited February 2017
    Splendid news from "The Godfather Of Minimalism"

- Editions Mego is proud to present the latest opus from legendary British composer, actor, sound designer and all round fine human Simon Fisher Turner. Giraffe is a new major work which blurs the lines between sound design and song, machine severity and narrative sentimentality. Subtitled ‘living in sounds and music’ Giraffe take the listener through a vast journey where an abstract clacking of unknown origin rubs up against a melancholic electronic sequence. ‘Life sounds’ were captured with a portable hard disc recorder and i-phone and appear alongside contemporar sound design. Emma Smith provides the narrative on ‘Slight Smile’ whilst electronic machines grind amongst background industrial klang in ‘Mud Larks’. 'Save As' revolves around a beautiful simple piano motif which soon folds into an unnerving field recording and drone combination.

Giraffe is a document of interior and exterior duality. A living space where machines and the surrounding world collide, a sonic landscape where musical and nonmusical elements are placed on an level hierarchy. The alchemy of these constituent parts results in the magic of Giraffe, one where the symbiotic sequence of events highlights a unique approach to sound as rapturous matter in whatever form it takes."
    May peace prevail on Earth
    - Editions Mego - Emusic

• edited February 2017

Self​-​identified non​-​male artists making experimental electronic music

This mixtape of “self-identified non-male artists making experimental electronic music” brings together 34 female or non-binary artists of over 6 different nationalities. Launched in the fall of 2016 on social networks by the label Hylé Tapes, this call to contributions had a large international appeal, so much that the resulting mixtape can boast 3 tapes as well as a book-fanzine compiling the details of each project.

The success of this call and its dense end-product make it a unique political object. Unique because the works reflect the diversity of experimental music as a field; political because the voices that can be heard in it are often unheard or silenced. Those voices belong to women and non-binary people, whose common project is to experiment with sound, to explore its textures and combinations. This mixtape brings together artists who make music a space of radical exploration, a place where technologies, gender and practices come together to create singular works.

Far from promoting exclusion, this mixtape, on the contrary, calls for inclusion in order to remind us that music is a political space shaped by power dynamics and logics of domination. By creating a platform for female and non-binary artists, Hylé Tapes shows that it is time to take those problematics seriously. It is time to act and to take a stand as allies; this is a fundamental step on the path to lessening the marginalisation faced by female and non-binary artists. By bringing them together in this way, Hylé Tapes also allows those artists to make their presence known. Finally, it brings to the forefront a large community for whom this mixtape is a real opportunity to create a network for sharing experiences and skills: indeed, today more than ever, “sisterhood is powerful”.

Nastasia Hadjadji
    February 2017
    - Hylé Tapes

• Lawrence English - Cruel Optimism

Beyond the motivations forging the record, the process by which this edition was created was unlike many of my other records. Having worked largely alone in recent years, I wanted to shift away from that approach. I wanted the opportunity for exchange, to trial new ideas in various spaces and to find myself surprised by the perspectives of others. It was this desire that led me to reach out to friends, old and new, and invite them to contribute to Cruel Optimism. It also led to me using a range of studio spaces to explore new techniques, informed by what I had learned taking Wilderness Of Mirrors on the road for the better part of two years. 

(Longer description on bandcamp page)

• edited March 2017

- "After his highly acclaimed „A Requiem For Edward Snowden“ LP, Matthew Collings returns with a collaboration with Swedish sound artist Dag Rosenqvist. „Hello Darkness“ is dark and it is bleak and it’s fragmented. It feels like those days when you want to just annihilate everything, and then stare at a river. It demands your attention. It sounds like it’s breaking from the inside. It’s serious. And not.

Rosenqvist & Collings started their work on „Hello Darkness“ already back in 2012, right after they had released the Wonderland EP (on Hibernate Recordings). There really were no guidelines or rules for what they were going to create, they just wanted to make music together, and surprisingly it came naturally, and felt pretty good…

This turned out to be one of those collabs that are kind of off and on. At times both were too busy with other things, and so sometimes months would pass between working sessions. And when they picked it up again, most of the times they had basically forgot where they left off, having to retrace their steps, remember things, re-create ideas, trash ideas that didn’t work, misplace tracks and sounds only to add them to songs they weren’t meant to be a part of. Rosenqvist & Collings worked destructively from processed stereo tracks with botched fade-ins, scrapping entire sessions and adding new layers and sounds of all kinds, letting it go in any directing it needed to, adding different time signatures on top of each other, turning sounds and entire tracks inside out and upside down. They found a freedom to go in any direction they wanted to, free from what they’ve done before, free from any expectations on both each other and from anyone else.

Despite all of this, there is a humour to the album. There’s something tongue-in-cheek about the whole thing. This was also one of the reasons they choose to go with the title of the album, which is – in all honesty – slightly over the top. This was also the commission when creating the cover design. No holds barred, no restrictions.

The title is of course “borrowed” from the Simon & Garfunkel track The Sound of Silence, a fact that probably doesn’t make them any cooler. Thinking about it now, Matthew Collings second album was called Silence Is A Rhythm Too. Coincidence? Some say there are no coincidences."

- Denovali Records - Mathew Collings at Emusers.

• edited March 2017
    Out on Schwebung:
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga2754243206_14jpg

RADIANCE X: HER DARK GAZE DROWNED IN LIGHT

by Stephan Mathieu

A re-narration of Carl Theodor Dreyer’s 1932 movie ‘Vampyr’

with
    Olga Politova - Piano
    Sylvain Chauveau - Guitar

- "The beginnings of the album date back to 2004 when I was invited to perform a live score for Vampyr at the Louvre in Paris. I started making recordings with classical trained pianist Olga Politova whom I asked to play some variant forms of Clara Schumann’s Nocturnes for me, for instance by playing selected chords in extreme slow motion with the sustain pedal held down, or harmonic movements as frozen clusters using strumming techniques. By the same time I started using shortwave radio as a live input for my processing techniques, so I've created various long tracks by modulating Olga’s playing with random radio input. Back then I didn't understand the resulting pieces and since the Louvre performance soon got cancelled, I've shelved the material until Winter 2015 when I rediscovered Dreyer’s movie and decided to work on the music again.

While I had initially planned to create a synced score to play along with the Criterion edition of the high-definition transfer from the 1998 restoration of Vampyr, Radiance X eventually contains a series of sonic images from the film as well as portraits of the three main female characters. In addition to the aforementioned piano recordings I used the 10" record of the Hollywood String Quartet’s performance of Schönberg’s Verklärte Nacht and guitar recordings made by Sylvain Chauveau.

Radiance X has a deliberate sonic edginess, so in some parts you will hear a soft harmonic clipping or out of phase content. As always, I recommend to download a lossless version of the music.

Her Dark Gaze Drowned in Light is dedicated to Maryanne Amacher."

•  
    - "It all started with a book, as these things often do: an English anthology of metaphysical poetry from the 17th century, to be exact. Which may not sound like the sexiest option on the shelves, but hear us out. The gentleman plowing through those weathered pages happened to be Michał Jacaszek, the Polish composer who's spun dramatic shades of darkness and light into gold for more than a decade now. An absolute master of melancholy, from the trickle-down electronics of Treny to the vapor-trailed verses of its looming spiritual cousin KWIATY.

"The poems were simple, pure and beautiful," Jacaszek says of the book's poignant Robert Herrick passages. "They spoke about death, pain, longing and loneliness, but somehow these pieces were bringing hope, solace, and peace."

They also sounded a hell of a lot like songs when read out loud. Structurally at least. Herrick's rhyme schemes and rhythms still needed the right musical accompaniment, and Jacaszek had just the ticket: a backlog of previously unreleased recordings—warm-blooded samples, lonesome synth lines, pared-down guitar parts—begging for proper arrangements and dynamic mixdowns. Not to mention the most vocal-driven material Jacaszek's ever written, melding his stormy melodies with a breakout performance by Hania Malarowska and the robust supporting roles of Joasia Sobowiec-Jamioł and Natalia Grzebała.

"I tend to always create organic, acoustic sounds, even though I work within a digital environment," explains Jacaszek. "Because KWIATY is actually a vocal album, the electronic sounds in the background seemed to be a perfect opposition. It's all unintentional, really; this is just my music language and I can't run away from it."

- Ghostly International - Emusic

- "Author and producer of electroacoustic music that combines electronically prepared sounds with acoustic instruments. Composer of soundtracks and theatre music. He is a co-curator of C3 Festival /Club Contemporary Classical/. Member of Polish Society for Electroacoustic Music. Lives in Gdansk, Poland. . . . ."

- Perhaps The most gorgeous album from Jacaszek ever !
  • edited January 2018

Kassel Jaeger & Jim O’Rourke - Wakes on Cerulean

- "Timely outing from two grand masters of exploratory electronics. Kassel Jaeger is the moniker of French musician François Bonnet who works at the GRM and has released a number of books including the highly regarded The Order of Sounds, A Sonorous Archipelago published by Urbanomic in 2016. Jim O’Rourke is known to most through his explorations of the song and shapes, the high and low, the east and south.

Wakes on Cerulean is a joint adventure where process folds upon process and the operation of procedure remains unknown. Amongst a mysterious cloud of excited high frequencies tiny whistling howls. Frog leaps in technique lay out a thrilling and uplifting journey that runs from the soothing to ecstatic and back to the buoyant again.

Wakes on Cerulean is a staggering feast of the joys found in electronic process. A malleable bubble of hovering excitement, melody and joyous refrain."

- Editions Mego - BC

Kassel Jaeger at Emusers here and here.

• edited March 2017

Porya Hatami - Monads
    Releases April 7 on LINE
    ‘Monads' is the latest work by Iranian sound artist Porya Hatami.  A departure for Hatami, this new album eschews melody in favour of abstract and at times very experimental sound design. The 12 tracks of ‘Monads’ neglect to follow structure or narrative. They propose repetition, temporarily and indeterminacy as their substantial qualities Occasionally the textures reach the jagged end of the spectrum, tactile but never abrasive. An exploration of frequencies is present on many pieces here, subsonic at times, almost undetectable by ear, making themselves felt more than heard. 
  • edited April 2017
    Finally on Emusic, but not on Beta:

Zeitkratzer directed by Reinhold Friedl
    Frank Gratkowski / flute, clarinets, Elena Kakaliagou / french horn, Hilary Jeffery / trombone, Reinhold Friedl / harmonium, piano, Didier Ascour / guitar, Maurice de Martin / drums, Lisa Marie Landgraf / violin, Burkhard Schlothauer / violin, Elisabeth Coudoux, violoncello, Ulrich Phillipp / double bass

#DOUBLE BIRTHDAY RELEASE !! KARLRECORDS celebrates its 10th birthday, ZEITKRATZER even its 20th! And the party starts with the necessary re-interpretations of early compositions by electronic pioneers KRAFTWERK.

- "Founded in 1997 by REINHOLD FRIEDL, ZEITKRATZER have since been creating an impressive catalogue of recordings that embraces 20th century avant-garde composers (CAGE, STOCKHAUSEN, LUCIER) as well as electronic artists (CARSTEN NICOLAI, TERRE THAEMLITZ) or underground experimentalists like THROBBING GRISTLE or COLUMN ONE. In their 20th anniversary year, the critically acclaimed ensemble will release a series of diverse albums that will explore new grounds in the typical, adventurous zeitkratzer way – the first of these albums is dedicated to KRAFTWERK and their early, kraut-esque albums “Kraftwerk” and “Kraftwerk 2”. As KRAFTWERK never re-released these albums, ZEITKRATZER gave its best to cover the first tranche of the songs (second tranche to come…).
    Recorded in Marseille / France in May 2016, the six tracks reveal a bucolic and even psychedelic aspect of the ensemble that’s mostly known (or feared) for its interpretatory and aesthetic acerbity. And yet there’s no doubt that “Songs From The Albums „Kraftwerk“ And „Kraftwerk 2“ turned out a true ZEITKRATZER recording in the best and full meaning!

- Karlrecords

____

• edited April 2017

"This album is a bit different than other music I created. The tracks on this album were created as the audio background for an audiobook. That audiobook contains stories about my hometown. As the stories are pretty dark (full of murders, breakouts, explosions, arrests by communist regime), the music is sometimes dark and disturbing, too. The music on "Stories of an Old Man" are reworked versions and they are a bit darker, full of ambient, experimental sounds and even some techno pulses.
    Also it is worth mentioning that the album was mastered by Michał Wolski, so you can be sure that there will be many beautiful noises and tape hiss! ENJOY."

GRZEGORZ BOJANEK (1975)
    -  as an artist consequently introduces field recordings and electroacoustic sounds into his compositions which are the combination of the melodic ambient, guitar sounds and sometimes noise. He cooperated with many artists from USA, Canada and China. His latest compositions can be described as organic ambient with the elements of noise and field recordings. He has cooperated with many artists from the USA, Canada and China. Grzegorz is the co-founder of ChoP project where he concentrates his efforts on multicultural collaboration between artists from China and Poland. Together with Zen Lu, Grzegorz collaborated with British film director Isaac Julien on his project “Better Life” (“Ten Thousand Waves”). Grzegorz cooperates with many labels like Preserved Sound (PL), Etalabel (PL), Twice Removed (Australia), Dynamophone (USA), Post Label (CZ), Soft Recordings (FR), Twin Springs Tapes (USA), OHM Resistance (USA). Grzegorz performed during many festivals, such as Unsound Festival (PL), Shanghai Electronic Music Week (CN), Ambient Festiwal in Gorlice (PL), Ambient Park (PL), and Firmament Festival (PL), Festiwal Ambientalny (PL) and ChoP Festival, Shenzhen and Hong Kong (CN).
    Emusic
  • edited April 2017
    Out on ReR Megacorp :
    :
    The Path The Path…a Path of Life…
    - "This album has emerged as a compilation of works written for my smallest ensemble yet, a quartet, that consists of my most loyal musical comrades over the last several years: Slobodanka, Sinisa and Lav. If it was not for them, this album would not be what it is. Jasna, who recently joined us as a new member and complements my way of playing music in a unique manner, has brought an extra quality to this album, enriching what was originally written only for the quartet. The compositions were all written within a period of 15 years, and, despite their evident diversity, share something in common, as well. They are all dominated by contemplative, intimate tones…lyrical, wistful, melancholic… and their momentary ecstatic bursts are all sudden energetic and expressive digressions that almost automatically return to their original state of “quietude”. I would like to hope that this “quietude” will bring the listener a certain internal charge, a charge that will open up to him/her a world that idealistically eschews the “turbulence” of contemporary urban everyday life… Because it is quite probable that my life in the countryside has enabled me to hear the sounds of space within me, a space closer to nature and silence."

- Boris Kovac

- Awesome !

- More Kovac at Emusers

• Pausal - Avifaunal

"Avifaunal" is the latest album from UK based duo Pausal, the audio and visual art project of Alex Smalley and Simon Bainton. It follows previous releases on labels such as Barge Recordings, Students of Decay, Own Records and Infraction. Individually, Alex has released numerous works under his Olan Mill alias and Simon has released on Hibernate Records. Their music has been described as "billowing, vaporous, and cloud-like", "a shimmering haze of humid ambience and sparkling field recordings", "a colourful, yet ghostly, world of slow-moving, rejuvenating sound".

Lovely stuff.
  • edited April 2017

Andrew Liles - LIFE IS AN EMPTY PLACE

- Andrew Liles is a prolific solo artist, producer, remixer and studio engineer. He has worked with many leading lights in experimental and outsider music and is renowned for his extensive contributions to the recordings and live performances of Nurse With Wound and Current 93. Recording since the mid 1980’s his work has been used in Theatre, Film, Radio and T.V. He has appeared on well over 200 releases creating a unique, eclectic and diverse back catalogue that crosses many genres and styles.

He has also worked in some capacity with the following groups and individuals:

Darren Tate, Colin Potter, The Hafler Trio, Danielle Dax, David Tibet, Unsong, Band of Pain, Steven Severin, Maja Elliott, Current 93, John Murphy, Pantaleimon, Edward Ka-Spel, Årabrot, Steven Stapleton, Nurse With Wound, Cadaverous Condition, Voice of the Seven Thunders, Jonathan Coleclough, Jean-Hervé Peron, Peter Strickland, Bass Communion, Ernesto Tomasini, Frans De Waard, Freek Kinkelaar, Tony Wakeford, Benjamin Louche, David Janssen, vidnaObmana, Joolie Wood, Jac Berrocal, Kenji Siratori, Freida Abtan, Hush Arbors, Alex Jako, Aranos, Faust, Ruse, Maniac, Lord Bath, Sion Orgon, Andrew King, Nick Mott, Daniel Menche, Black Leather Jesus, Paul Bradley, Aaron Moore, Nigel Ayers, Irr. App (Ext), Rose McDowall, Daniel Padden, Brian Poole, Fovea Hex, Annie Kerr, Elisabeth Oswell, Attila Csihar, Karl Blake, Damo Suzuki, Fabrizio Palumbo, Sutekh Hexen, The Sonic Catering Band, Razen, Alex Neilson, Lavinia Blackwall, Bobbie Watson, Michel Faber, Cosey Fanni Tutti, Kommissar Hjuler Und Frau.

•  Fairly new from Pogus Productions:
    Silentium is an electroacoustic piece based on sounds of bells and church organs that where recorded during a residency at gallery Školská 28 in Prague, in December 2015.

The title was inspired by the “Silentium” signs that were regularly displayed in the churches where these recordings were made. Entering the temple requires the visitor to be quiet, to keep the noise down. This thoughtful silence is an intense and active condition essential for profound listening. It creates a liminal state between the natural and the supernatural world.

In this work, the properties of the churches’ sonic atmospheres subtly emerge; echoes of quiet interiors created by the whispers reverberating, the crackling of wooden chairs, a door closing, the water dripping down the pipelines. It should be noted that the title is not a hint at the piece being quiet. Some passages are indeed really silent, reaching the realms of the barely audible; other parts are rather loud.
    Yiorgis Sakellario
     - is a composer of experimental and electroacoustic music. Since 2003, he has been active internationally being responsible for solo and collaboration albums, having composed music for short films and theatrical performances, leading workshops and ceaselessly performing his music around the globe.

He is a member of the Athenian Contemporary Music Research Centre and the Hellenic Electroacoustic Music Composers Association. Since 2004 he has curated the label Echomusic.

This track is an unedited recording of an improvised performance on the church organ of Sv. Salvator in Prague on December 9, 2015.

Exploring church organs' textures, in a partly improvised manner, was a primary method I used to select and record material for "Silentium", a composition released on CD by Pogus Productions.
    www.pogus.com/21088.html

This unedited recording is only a small sample of the great variety of organ sounds that were recorded and it has been included in the 50 minutes composition almost in its original form.

• edited May 2017
    Posted yesterday on Amanda Palmer's Bandcamp page:

Vocals and instruments: Amanda Palmer and Edward Ka-Spel
    Violins: Patrick Q. Wright
    Singing saw: Alexis Michallek

I CAN SPIN A RAINBOW marks the first full-length collaboration between Palmer and Ka-Spel, founding member of visionary Anglo-Dutch psychedelicists The Legendary Pink Dots and one of her greatest artistic heroes. I CAN SPIN A RAINBOW is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream for Palmer, an avowed fan of Ka-Spel and the Legendary Pink Dots since discovering their psycho-theatrical, multi-textural work in her teens. As noted in her best-selling 2014 memoir, The Art of Asking, the LPD have long been an inspiration to Palmer, their deeply connected relationship with fans as important to her life and work as their fearless autonomy and impossible-to-pigeonhole musical approach.
    Recorded largely on Ka-Spel’s computer, I CAN SPIN A RAINBOW is a truly collaborative effort, “a spiritual experience,” says Palmer, in which both artists’ stories, song fragments, poems, and lyrics became wholly meshed with loops, melancholy piano playing, melodic beds, and strange rhythms. The results range from the enchantingly minimal The Clock at the Back of the Cage and the album-opening Pulp Fiction mysterious and strange with a luxurious theatricality that conjures both of its creators’ prior oeuvres while also opening a curtain into a heretofore unheard shared sonic world. Sensing the need for strings, the pair enlisted frequent LPD collaborator Patrick Q Wright, who contributed violin tracks from his studio in Italy. Alexis Michallek, Heap’s longtime studio assistant, contributes singing saw to Beyond The Beach.
    “We merged our songwriting heads and poetic worlds to make a new universe,” Palmer says. “We would sit in Imogen’s house drinking cups of tea, bemoaning the state of the upcoming election, binge drinking in the UK, the refugee crisis, our internet addictions, frightening news we had read, our relationships… and then we’d distill all of the ingredients of our fears and conversations into song form. The Rainbow metaphor – which is also a nod to the ‘spinning beach ball of death’ on a Mac – was a wide-open image that kept popping up as a recurring theme on the record. It’s both dark and light at the same time. To me, the songs are simultaneously frightening and comforting, like a thunderstorm heard from a living room.”
    “Making this record with Amanda felt a little like discovering a twin you didn’t know you had,” says Ka-Spel, “until a mysterious email lands in your inbox at a particularly auspicious moment. Some things are just meant to be…”

- Cooking Vinyl

• edited May 2017

Xavier Charles (FR) – clarinet, harmonica
    Ivar Grydeland (N) – guitar & banjo w/ preparations, sruti box
    Christian Wallumrød (N) – prepared piano, harmonium
    Ingar Zach (N) – bass drum, percussion

At what point does sound become music, and music sound? The practice of the renowned European improvising quartet Dans les arbres - three Norwegians and a Frenchman - explores the ambiguous edgelands between these binary extremes. By blurring the border separating one from the other, they find music in sound, and vice versa, through spontaneous compositions of striking beauty and tactility. In performance, they move with great precision through different combinations of players and instruments, as if navigating an uncertain course towards some mysterious destination, while their wide variety of customized noises can suggest the heroic late modernism of John Cage as well as the bleep, burr and hum of the technological present.

As a performing and recording unit, Dans les arbres has considerable hinterland, going back to the duo of Ivar Grydeland and Ingar Zach at the turn of the millennium, when they also founded the label Sofa. After expanding to a quartet with the addition of Christian Wallumrød and Xavier Charles in 2004, the group made two highly acclaimed ECM albums: the self-titled debut, Dans les arbres, which was released in 2008 but recorded two years earlier, and the follow-up, Canopee, from 2012, which received a nomination for the annual music prize awarded by the Nordic Council.

Now comes the third album, ‘Phosphorescence’, which moves away from its predecessors' aesthetic context of contemporary improvised chamber music performed on acoustic instruments towards a more mixed economy of means, with some electronic processing, amplification (of the prepared piano and guitar) and real-time sampling added to the repertoire of sounds familiar from the first two recordings. Recorded at Isitart, “the studio in a forest” in rural Sweden south of Oslo, it’s tempting to see ‘Phosphorescence’ as in some way a more relaxed, even bucolic production, but this may not be the case at all. Indeed, the four compositions/improvisations that comprise ‘Phosphorescence' are as nervous and unsettling as they are consolingly ‘ambient’, although the pieces work well listened to inattentively, like edgy ‘furniture music’. The clarity of the mix (by Johnny Skalleberg) and mastering (by Helge Sten, AKA Deathprod) is especially important, helping to create an almost three-dimensional depth and transparency to the sound, and emphasising the tension between the acoustic and electronic elements.

But what is most apparent in ‘Phospherescence' is how masterful the four members of the collective have now become, and how intensely focused in their work, secure in the group’s identity as a kind of modest ’supergroup’ making absolutely contemporary music that’s totally unlike that of anyone else. Even the range of sounds they choose to inhabit has taken on a satisfying sense of familiarity: Dans les arbres make Dans les arbres music out of Dans les arbres sounds. It is, all in all, a considerable achievement.

- Hubro

Dans les Arbres

• Kraftwerk / 3-D: The Catalogue box sets

Box set of some of the 2012 - 2016 concerts. It’s gonna be different and, I think, much better than that other live CD set (the one that looked like a laptop) because the technology is even better these days. Amazing stuff that you'll get on the DVD and each album is in 3 different kinds of amazing sound recorded at the concerts.

•  httpsf4bcbitscomimga0331434670_14jpg 

Saltland - A Common Truth

A Common Truth is the second album by Saltland, the solo project of veteran Montréal cellist and composer Rebecca Foon. Following the acclaimed 2013 debut I Thought It Was Us But It Was All Of Us, Foon performed Saltland live in various successful configurations, but as the concept and compositions for a new album began to materialize, she wished to further expand on an approach with her cello as primary source for all sounds on the record. Combining unadulterated, processed and sampled cellos, A Common Truth largely reflects this commitment and results in an album of gorgeous integrity, restraint, and meditative intensity. The one notable exception: longtime friend and prior collaborator Warren Ellis (Nick Cave, Dirty Three) is the album's special guest player, contributing violin, pump organ and loops to the album's four instrumental tracks.

Working with engineer Jace Lasek (The Besnard Lakes), Foon has produced a song cycle that alternates between wordless instrumentals and lyric-driven pieces, balancing austere, organic intimacy and lush, multi-layered expansiveness. The analog warmth of Lasek’s naturalistic rock production anchors Saltland’s juxtaposition of dry and processed strings, with the placement of Foon's voice very much within the mix but never veiled or concealed; a voice described as "an instrument of somnolent, gossamer allure which floats gracefully amid the eddying, amniotic music" (Mojo, 2013). Electronic music strategies, via signal processing and re-sampling, are deployed minimally and judiciously – and all the more powerfully as such.

A Common Truth also importantly channels other strands from Rebecca's life: the record is about climate change and marks an attempt to musically translate a complex mix of emotional, social and political resonances in this regard. The album's atmosphere and pace is guided by the coexistence of optimism and despair, resolve and resignation, the intimacy of the local/personal and the hope of the global/collective. Foon has devoted much of her life in recent years to working for decarbonization, land conservation and renewable energy – as a member of Sustainability Solutions Group cooperative, as founder of the conservation charity Junglekeepers, and as co-founder of Pathway to Paris, an international concert series bringing together musicians, writers and activists to help raise consciousness toward implementation of a robust international climate agreement.

Rebecca Foon's new Saltland album A Common Truth is a compelling coalescence and fullest musical expression of the inspiring trajectories charted by this committed and renowned artist, activist and organizer
    - Constellation Records - Emusic
  •  

Fabio Orsi - Il Ricordo Improvviso Dell'Assoluto Stupore

The first Fabio Orsi book of photography! Comes with a one-sided Picture Disc vinyl with one long exclusive track.
    The vinyl has a long track that is a sort of "summa" of Fabio Orsi musical world: like his early releases, "Il Ricordo Improvviso Dell'Assoluto Stupore" is deep drone ambient track, with distant guitars and a nostalgic touch. Hypnotic and melodic at the same time... Perfect complement and completion to his photos.
    - Backwards - Emusic

Fabio Orsi
  • edited May 2017

httpsf4bcbitscomimga3502147511_14jpghttpsf4bcbitscomimga3386749512_14jpg
    Tony Levin: Stick and Voice
    Markus Reuter: Touch Guitars® AU8, Soundscapes, Keyboard
    Pat Mastelotto: Acoustic and electronic Drums and Percussion
    Mel Collins: Saxophones, Flute
    Stick Men and King Crimson fans are in for a treat. For the recent shows in Japan, Mel Collins joined the power prog trio Stick Men (Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto and Markus Reuter) for six concerts. It's not the first time the Stick Men have collaborated with a Crimson alumni. In April 2015 David Cross went out to work with the trio, which resulted in the double album "Midori". Fans' hopes that the much anticipated concerts with Mel Collins would also be documented are now becoming a reality. We are digitally releasing two complete shows recorded live in Tokyo on February 21, 2017.
    http://www.iapetus-media.com/