Not as free as I used to be (on Amie St.)

edited October 2009 in General
Ever since they modified their site and added Sony, I've been going to Amie St. far less than I used to. This isn't intentional, nor can I state with any real confidence that there's any cause and effect there, but it is what it is. I used to go daily, sometimes several times a day. I was on top of shit. Since the revamp and the Sony, not so much. It may be that I reached a saturation point coincidentally right when the changes occurred, and it was a natural scaling back of my visits. It probably wasn't healthy how often I went to Amie. And I like how they handled the Sony drops. It didn't get put in the new releases and, thus, drown out all the true new releases. I think the new site is more clunky, and it's harder to read. I think that, actually, is a big problem for me. Smaller typeface, and just organized in a way that doesn't seem to draw my eyes in natural motions. I do, however, much much much prefer the new sample player. Big time. The search engine still is just making shit up as it goes along. I'm not offended that some albums don't start as free or that they go up in price faster than they used to. I still think Amie is a great site, and should be a part of everyone's balanced music meal. It does seem like, with all the changes, that they aren't dropping as much obscure stuff as they used to. Probably very busy managing all the changes, so it's to be expected. I hope for more success for those guys. I also hope I start heading down their way more often again.

Comments

• I am with you here, the thrill of watching the new arrivals is gone. There is very little coming through and it is mostly total crap. I ahve over 100 recs which I am not sure I will ever use, since there is almost nothing worth rec'ing anymore. Maybe that will change, but one more TKW band or Crimson Razorback and I'm taking a hostage.

I did use the 50% off cash sale to get quite a few of the $5 sony's, I am hoping they have a nice selection of those per month, ala Amazon's 50 for $5. I can dream, anyway.
  • edited October 2009
    There is very little coming through and it is mostly total crap.

Any idea why this is so, e.g., is it because we're only now heading into the fall's large schedule of top-notch new arrivals, or does it have something to do with Sony's arrival at Aime Street?
  • edited October 2009
    It seems that the cheap downloads came when big label drops came. From what I observed, the back catalogs of these labels stayed free to cheap for quite a long time--sometimes I was able to go back after eight-hours wait . However, free copies of new releases on the same labels were snapped up rather quickly.

I've also observed that the midnight new releases tend to be less interesting as well as less free. Bigger releases often appear during the day, and seldom bundled together.

Finally, it's no longer possible to buy an album directly from the new releases page. This makes the process much more frustrating (at least for me, as I wait for the page to load up against the competition of other users.)
  • The last couple of Tuesdays have been pretty good. Otherwise not much unless your tastes run to Crimson Razorback,
    TKW Band, or Prose in Rosette (I cringe at that name).

I think if you're looking for Amie to be the great trough of free albums, it's not going to be what it once was - too many people are on to it and a lot of the labels that likely to join are already there. That said, it is still a great place to get some of the big name new releases if your timing is good. This morning I got 8 albums including the new Raveonettes and Mountain Goats for a grand total of about $20 (about $8 in real money). Even if an album is nearing $5, with the 50% off sales and the extra REC money, it works out to about $2 a disc - more like pre-Sony eMu.

As far as using the recs go, here is a strategy - grab a popular album you want when its around 30 cents a track. When it tops out at 98 cents, you will have made 34 cents per track and effectively gotten the album for free - the only thing it will have cost you are the recs you had sitting in your account.
  • I had a hearing this morning so I was SOL on being able to drop any RECs, but I did get The Mountain Goats and Kurt Vile for under $3 total. I need to talk to my paralegal about not scheduling hearings on Tuesday mornings!

Craig
  • @frogkopf

Wow. Your street cred is HUGE. Is there anyone with a higher street cred than you and that jujubeebop person? I see that you make about $.30 a REC. Can I brag a little and say I make about $.70 per REC? Plus, I've started RECing only artists I love and are popular, so I know I'll make the full amount. I earn $4.03 for every dollar I spend in real money. Which is why I love Amie Street.

I just got the brand new Brandi Carlile album (which is $9.99 everywhere, it seems) and had to pay full price because it's a Sony release (which eMusic won't get for two years), but with how much I get per dollar, it cost me less than $2.50.

Long live Amie Street.
  • street cred is over-rated.

brittleblood
  • Hey, you're up to 1! Congrats!

Craig
  • edited October 2009
    Well Daytripper...

There are a couple of people with more with more street cred than I or jujubeebop have, but they are affiliated with Amie Street - one being their Web Designer. My average could per REC be higher, but I've been handing out RECs to a lot of albums that I like that I know won't sell a lot (at one time I had over 500 RECs so I figured why not). Quite of few of my RECs have only made me about 10 cents or so.

I can't complain. Between my girlfriend and I, we have almost 45,000 tracks from Amie Street. After spending a combined $400 or so, we still have about $350 in our accounts and another 350 RECs to dole out (which should net us another $100 in credit or so when all said and done).
  • Quite of few of my RECs have only made me about 10 cents or so.

here's where i'd insert one of those nihilsitic single key-stroke icons if i knew anything about samponic html...which would be linked to the samponic wunderhit track 6
  • Actually, I downloaded that album when it was free. I wish I would had RECed it, since I'd be making a sweet 43-50 cents a track.

It's got some good stuff on it - especially the slow ones.
  • Samponic... is that Slavic for tampon?
  • @frogkopf

How long have you been using Amie Street?
  • Since early 2008.

I actually signed up much earlier, like a few weeks after it launched, but there was absolutely nothing there of interest at the time, so I forgot about it for a couple of year, until someone posted on eMu that the Burial Untrue album was free over there. I rushed over there and was hooked. ironically, I had already bought that album at eMu but hadn't gotten around to listening to it, so I didn't realize I had it already.
  • sampo with tonic.

like chanel no. 5, use of "samponic" in general discourse has a dangerous and lingering affect.
  • Yesterday was a fantastic day for me. I am absolutely loving the new Mountain Goats, Mike Doughty, and Kurt Vile. All three albums are samponic.

Craig
  • Amie Street has always had lots of time periods when almost nothing shows up for days. Wasn't there a point a few months ago when people thought they might be going under because nothing new showed up for over two weeks? This year has been pretty great over there thanks to some big label drops (Yep Roc, Bomp and Alive kept me checking constantly for a couple months) but outside of those and the new releases, there's only so much they can put out.
  • Feast or famine. Some weeks I get 30 albums from the site, other weeks nada.

I think the last significant label drop where a lot was free at one time was the Tru-Thoughts label. Amazingly, several of their albums remained free for almost a whole day,
  • Yesterday was a great day for me too. I ended up with 16 albums for about $20 Amie money, which is probably about $8 real money.

I just checked the Amie Top 25 - I apparently have 20 of them.

Between Amie, the 3 eMu accounts (with the You Rock Bonuses), the Lala sales, and the complete Beatles collection that just came in the mail from Amazon last night, I've got around 100 new albums in the last month. Don't even know where to start.
  • Wow! I was having enough trouble with the 15-20 albums I've added in the last month!

Craig
  • frogkopf you need a variable speed mp3 player; if you could listen to everything at 10x you'd be caught up in no time. also if you got the mono mix Beatles you could save time by listening to different albums in each ear.