saying something stupid

edited October 2009 in General
I pretty much ignored new music in the 1980s; so with the 43 songs for 12 credit new deal for the much lauded "Double Nickels on The Dime" by Minutemen, I decided to give it a go 25 years after the fact.
This was my knee jerk reaction: "if this had been the only new release of the 1980s, the decade would still have to be viewed as a success."

Sure, it's a stupid statement; but for for 70+ minutes there...i believed it.

Comments

• In the 80s, we in the Twin Cities had to deal with shitty new music like Prince, the Replacements, and Husker Du...
  • There was A LOT of crap in the 80s, but there was also a lot of brilliance.

I wish I been old enough in the 80s to enjoy the fantastic bands here. Sigh.

Craig
  • Tears for Fears, totally underrated.
  • edited October 2009
    Unterrated:

Dalek I (Love You)
    The Teardrops Explodes - (Julian Cope)
  • Look at the bright side Craig, you're probably 10-15 years further from the grave than many of us...

Underrated:

Taco!
  • Bands that weren't underrated, but also bands I'm not embarrassed to admit that I often hope to find CDs of in the bargain bin...

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome"
    Howard Jones - "Dream into Action"
    Robert Plant - "Principle of Moments"
    Pet Shop Boys - "Please"
    Anything by New Order
    Simple Minds - "Alive and Kicking"
    Wang Chung - "To Live and Die in L.A."
    Billy Squier - "Emotions in Motion"
    Sigue Sigue Sputnick - "Love Missile F1-11"
    Luther Vandross - "Give me the Reason"

That's just off the top of my head. I expect this list will grow. You may consider that a warning.
  • edited October 2009
    Taco!
    - And Orange Juice ! (Edwyn Collins)

edit:
    Josef K
  • Fair enough, frogkopf. Plus, I was young enough to enjoy going to a New Kids on the Block concert in 1989. So I've got that going for me....which is nice.

Craig
  • gun club - fire of love

i will go and play it now.