What is the perfect pop song?

Comments

• Doody - at the time PM was in a relationship with Jane Asher, sister of Peter
  • edited January 2012
    "Love You Like A Love Song" by Selena Gomez!

Ohmigod, this is so FUN to sing along with in the car whenever it comes on. I've had people at stoplights laughing with me.
    Erm. And perhaps frightened some folks on the interstate. Gesturing wildly is de-de-de-de rigueur on the chorus.
    She's got a beautiful voice.

It's been said and done
    Every beautiful thought's been already sung
    And I guess right now here's another one
    So your melody will play on and on, with the best of 'em
    You are beautiful, like a dream come alive, incredible
    A centerfold miracle, lyrical
    You've saved my life again
    And I want you to know baby

[Chorus]
    I, I love you like a love song, baby

And I keep hitting re-peat-peat-peat-peat-peat-peat

Love-You-Like-A-Love-Song-Cover-orginal-selena-gomez-22814282-500-500.jpg
  • Hey, Katrina, long time no see, welcome back!
  • Been around the whole time, just nothing positive to say/post. Thanks.
  • Oh my god, I can't stop laughing. So Newt Gingrich is getting sued for using "Eye of the Tiger" as his campaign song. I was goofing around on Facebook suggesting other 80s rock songs he could adopt: "Tainted Love," "Hard to Say I'm Sorry," etc. And then a friend suggested this one:
  • edited February 2012
    Really, the ideal song for the Newt Gingrich campaign is probably Catherine Wheel's "Eat My Dust, You Insensitive Fuck." That's from his own perspective, though - from the perspective of other people, maybe something like "Big Head" by the Darling Buds.

However, neither of these really qualify as "perfect pop songs."
  • So disappointed that the rest of the world, here and elsewhere, doesn't find this as hilarious as me. Admittedly you have to be aware of the 80s monstertude of 'Hot for Teacher,' especially the video; as well as the fact that serial adulterer Newt's first marriage was to his high school math teacher. I know, just not as funny if you have explain it.

Anyway, in the coffee shop this morning, I heard the perfect pop song, which is Spanish Harlem by Ben E. King.
  • Sorry doofy, I didn't know the teacher part. At least you're not the Roots; publicly whipped for picking the perfect song for any and all of them.
  • edited February 2012
    I had overlooked that it was a math teacher. I had crushes on choir and English teachers, but math?
  • edited February 2012
    I_will_always_love_you.jpg

- May this great lady rest in peace . . .
    ETA:
    "I Will Always Love You" is a song written by American singer-songwriter Dolly Parton in 1973, who first released the song as a single in 1974.
    - Wikipedia.
  • i'm sure this has been brought up before but does "pop" translate directly to "universality"? would a band like the grateful dead consistently fall short on the universal measure? while the beattles and stones would prolly achieve universal status.
  • By what metric? The Grateful Dead sold albums, sold singles, and put butts in concert seats. Their brand, particularly through their emblem, was well known. They played in genres that had mass market appeal. And many of their songs used classic forms of popular song. Putting them up against major sellers doesn't make them less "pop."
  • Little Willy - The Sweet

Pre-Punk Glam-Pop Face-Smash. I gots to get me some yellow pants like that.
  • LOL, just stay away from that vest, it's mine! (aaack, not really, it's dreadful)
    The silver boots on the bass guitarist are yummy, though. Still in style.
  • edited March 2012
    RE: yummy:

Ohio_Express_Yummy_Yummy_Yummy_single_cover.jpg
    - Wiki
  • LOL. Haven't heard that one in ages!
  • edited March 2012
    r22081_300.jpg
  • XTC- Dear Madam Barnum - Spotify link

Oh, I forgot about this one. How much more can you possibly ask a pop song to do? Could have been a big hit for, like, Herman and the Hermits.
  • @ doofy. . . Indeed a lovely XTC song - @ Youtube.

Pretenders-I-go-to-sleep.jpeg
  • Not sure where else to post this, and can't be bothered to start a thread, but this article is interesting and depressing on what currently constitutes a perfect pop song. This is from one of the current leading pop production teams:
    “It’s not enough to have one hook anymore,” Jay Brown, the president of Roc Nation, and Dean’s manager, told me recently. “You’ve got to have a hook in the intro, a hook in the pre-chorus, a hook in the chorus, and a hook in the bridge.” The reason, he explained, is that “people on average give a song seven seconds on the radio before they change the channel, and you got to hook them.”

The rest is an interesting read.
  • Prof, I was going to post that link to this very thread. I thought the article was very interesting...there's obviously a lot of talent and skill in the room, and they make the process sound like a lot of fun. The only problem is they don't give a damn about anything but "hits" and "smashes." Also interesting the way the article wraps up...a shiver down their collective spines as they talk about how Adele is likely to sweep the Grammies. Luckily for them, there are not that all many Adeles out there in the world.

Anyway, perfect pop song, power ballad division: Earth, Wind and Fire, 'After the Love Has Gone'. This song was inescapable back in the in bad old disco days, and I had no patience with it. But I heard it the other day, and it's like a little pop gem. I don't know my pop song anatomy well enough to dissect the structure, but they jump right to the chorus after the first verse, and from there it's, shall we say, multiple climaxes. Those falsetto harmonies are the heavy artillery. Sure it's slick and there are "hooks" galore, but it's all in the service of emotional payoff, which is what soul music is all about.
  • My pop rotation is limited, but I think this was a pretty perfect pop song, Einstein a Go-Go from the 80s.
  • edited March 2012
    Fascinating article, thanks GP
  • edited April 2012
    - From 1965:
    thebyrdsturnturnturn.jpg?w=385&h=240
    - A Pete Seeger song.

- One of my very first 7" singles and still working. :-)
  • edited March 2012
    At this time of the year there's a song in my head when I'm in my garden enjoying all the spring flowers popping up everywhere.

- It is off my screen to do a proper translation, so what you can do is: pour a cup of coffee, make yourself comfortable in your favourite chair and spend 3 minutes with a song that to me represents the very essence of Denmark:

anemone_blaa.jpg
    Den Bl
  • edited April 2012
    - In the spirit of my previous post:

000119.jpg
    (1959)
  • Paul Simon - "Kodachrome'

This isn't Paul Simon's greatest pop song...it's not even the greatest song on 'Here Comes Rhymin' Simon' - that would be this. But it sure is a great pop song.

Simon is one of the short list of artists who could have their own 'greatest pop song' thread, along with Stevie, Dylan, Lennon/McCartney, and a few others I can't think of right now.
  • Paul Westerberg - Dyslexic Heart

I think it was the discussion of the 90s sale that got this one running through my head.
  • yeah, i read that article when it came out in late march. i'm a pop fan, and i like a lot of the songs and artists mentioned in the article, but . . .
    they make the process sound like a lot of fun.

here, i disagree. to me, they make the process -- and the product -- sound overly safe, anticeptic and bloodless (albeit catchy and sometimes innovative).
  • Sparky's Dream by Teenage Fanclub

Lots of their stuff is great but this is pure perfection