How often does this happen to you on Amie Street?

edited February 2010 in Diversions
I'm sure this happens to froggie all the time, but I just was friended for the first time by someone I neither know nor is affiliated with Amie Street. Oddly it is one of the guys who uploads his own music, and I scanned his RECs and our own Plong42 likes some of his stuff.

How often does this happen to other folks?

Craig

Comments

• Never actually been friended, but I've received messages, shouts, e-mails, etc. from artists like that.
  • It's happened for me a couple of times, I think when I'd had a kindly worded Rec regarding them.
  • I get nice messages from some people, usually if I take the time to write something in the rec. Francesco Lettera is the last one that did that. Same thing happens on Last.FM sometimes, if I listen to a DIY type band, they might post a shout-out thanking me for the listen.

Hogweed quoted me on their webpage, so I have that going for me.
  • Interesting.

thom - I assume that like BigD and Plong42 it's artists that you've listened to/REC'd? That is not an experience I've had, but I also don't listen to much outside the indie mainstream so that could explain it.

Craig
  • I occasionally get the artist contacting me after I've listened to some of their tracks. Is this what happened? Someone named Jonah emailed me recently.

Or it could be someone trolling for a lawyer.
  • Trolling for a lawyer I'd take!

I'd never heard of the person who friended me so I don't think I've ever listened to him.

Craig
  • I didn't even know anything about friending and emailing on Amie. Do we have an Amie inbox or is it only when you publicly list your private email?
    I'm going over there to look right now. I may have friends I didn't even know about.
  • I had a nice email from Tapestry of Honor. He asked for some feedback on his tune. I was happy to give it.
    And brighternow, what did you do? I think he friended me. Or maybe followed. I forget exactly what.
  • edited February 2010
    I have no idea what I've been doing. :~)
  • Then following me is a very bad idea.
  • Too late for that advice ;~)
  • I've had it happen more on Last.fm. It's usually when I get some freebie mp3s from some website and I end up being one of 10 people to have played the song.
  • Who knew? All this time I've had a friend named Rex Red. Rex seems to have friended me some time ago when I DL'd a Chris Stamey album, and has sent occasional recommendations to me, including for his own stuff. I'll say this for the Amie Street friends/e-mail feature, it is unobtrusive!
  • Rex Red is exactly who has now friended me.

Craig
  • Any friend of Rex's is a friend of mine. He has got his social networking shwerve on.
  • Rex Red is the first I've seen of an artist that put RECs on his own stuff.

Craig
  • I've had friend requests and shouts from artists on Last.fm. Like thom's case, it's happened when I was one of the first to play a new release, or when I'm one of the few who play a band/label at all.