I lose it on the eMu boards

edited February 2010 in Fight Club
On a thread about cheap opera downloads, I finally snapped.
I was trying to address a problem head-on, but I might just be making things worse. But it didn't create the storm it might have, probably because few people read long classical threads.
I'm interested to know what you guys think of my response - how wrong or right was I?

Comments

• That's losing it? Oh well. I agree that the "good post" addition might have been apropos. I'm going to go back and read snakespeare's long post myself, looks interesting (on a topic in which I am ignorant).
  • I thought where you went wrong was with your post correcting sheakespeare with a seemingly nitpicky kind of post following his sincere attempt to helpfully answer a pretty tough challenge, but then I read your post at the end of the thread and that took care of that issue.
    Me, I think the blanket insults of board members is both cowardly and vacuous. Rather than address what one or two people are saying specifically, people instead create an entire population of strawmen then begin to tear them down with indirect unsubtle allusions to real board members. It's sort of an infantile passive aggression. On other boards, when a new member starts with that kind of blanket attack, if the mods don't nip that shit in the bud, that new member will just eventually become a pain in the ass old member.
    You could've found a more tactful way of saying 'fuck off', but that's more about the message than the meaning. And y'know what? He (she) could've done the same thing, too.
  • Boy those boreds are getting boaring. And the fucking constant defense of inaninity with the argmuent that it's not inanity, it's the snob colored glasses of anyone who enjoyed the boards prior to say May of 2009, does not help.
  • Nothing wrong here. There really does seem to be some contingent of "new users" that have taken up the torch carried by the Persecution Complex Duo. He pointlessly attacked a group of users that included you after you had already helped out the OP. Fuck 'em.

Seems to me that whenever I see anything of interest over on that board its been posted by "the old guard" anyway...
  • Snotty Knickertwist has been outed as Raymond. I had my suspicions, though based only on the location of one deleted message. So, no regrets about the "fuck off" then.
  • edited March 2010
    My earlier quip on eMu was purely a guess based on tone of the posting. He does seem to have downloaded a lot of major label content over the past month (another RayRay motif).

We do know he is a doctor from MN, so it all fits. And it just so happens the good doctor has a wife named Jill, middle initial "M".
  • Well, I'm a bit biased because I probably added fuel to the flames with my flip spur-of-the-moment comment about Berg. Sorry about that (but if it was Raymondo taking offence, perhaps not so sorry after all). But I can't see why accuracy (aka the truth) is boring or likely to scare people away, as Jill/Raymond seem to be implying. And Snakespeare's post, although it was good rollicking stuff, was full of inaccuracies and half-baked judgments.

Oh all right, I admit I'm just one of the snooty old guard with nothing positive to say.
  • Okay, this is probably a good time to ask with this talk about Jillwhatsername actually being Raymondwhathisname... How do you guys do that? I read comments from time to time, here and over there, about people using other account names and making posts on them (I sometimes get a chuckle out of the occasional "I h8te emusic cause it SCUKS! post). Is it really that easy to do?
  • edited February 2010
    eMu has always let people have up to 3 accounts on the same credit card. I myself have 3 accounts, but very rarely post under the second or third - usually when I do it's because I'm logged into the second or third account to use up my monthly, read the boards and post without even realizing I'm logged in as someone other than frogkopf. Nereffid's done the same thing on several occasions, continuing to comment on a thread under two different names, probably without realizing he's done it.

The jillm account is under his wife's name (that's been verified). He was probably logged in under her account with the intent to use up credits, saw the post, and couldn't resist posting, not even giving a thought that he was logged in under a different name than usual. I'm guessing that's why his reply to my asking "Ray-Ray is that you?" was "Do You even have to ask?" He doesn't seem to be too concerned about hiding his identity - in fact he relishes having his username associated with harsh comments about the old timers.
  • "Nereffid's done the same thing on several occasions, continuing to comment on a thread under two different names, probably without realizing he's done it."
    Confirmed! Well, I realize as soon as the message appears. Sometimes I wish for an "ah, shit, I didn't mean to do that" button. That earlier jillmmarier post I linked to above was obviously a case of Raymond going the same.

(Hi Raymond! We know you like reading what those arrogant elitists are saying about you.)

As for changing your username, I believe you need diabolical html for that.
  • yep so elitist of us wanting to share our love of music instead of (only) complaining about that other place's board.
  • my goodness. what kind of arrogant elitist carpet bombs a boarder hiding under his wife's skirts?
  • That thread later devolved into a discussion about Hitler, as some threads about opera are doomed to do. (See: Opera-L)
  • my goodness. what kind of arrogant elitist carpet bombs a boarder hiding under his wife's skirts?

The thread could get pretty raunchy after a post like that.
    That thread later devolved into a discussion about Hitler, as some threads about opera are doomed to do. (See: Opera-L)

You weren't kidding.
  • edited February 2010
    So far, no one has mentioned the big H. And if opera lovers think they can hold their noses to avoid the stench of nationalism, they better learn to breath through their skins.

ETA: my mistake, someone had. Nevertheless, opera was very much the proving ground for national ambition, and it is a propos.
  • Not surprising that it was that nitwit (hi Rayray, I know your ego will draw you over here). That guy must be one of the most sheltered web surfers out there because he still seems to think that anything said over yonder compares to the vitriol spewed forth from 99% of message boards.

Even in more contentious threads people are usually more accepting of corrections than he.
  • @thom you should point him to /b/ on 4chan...it is an edifying experience.
  • Whoa, not even sure he deserves to be subjected to the /b/tards.
  • Dammit, I was helpful to Jill/Ray on another thread...dammit dammit dammit. Back to being a curmudgeon for me.
  • Hello everyone.

You were right. My "ego" was not only big enough to come here and see what everyone was saying about me, but it compelled me to join the clubhouse.

I won't bother replying to everything here. But there is one thing I want to single out.

Froggie, cyberstalking me and my family is not acceptable. I am sickened by what you have done on this thread. I'll take my lumps on a messageboard. It's just a fucking messsageboard. But posting information online about my loved ones is an all new low for you and lower then ANYTHING I have witnessed here or on the emu boards.

That said, nice clubhouse you guys have built here. Where are the snacks?
  • Where are the snacks?
    Here !
  • Thanks! A fine beverage selection too I see!
  • >>>>>
    ...but I might just be making things worse. But it didn't create the storm it might have, probably because few people read long classical threads.
    >>>>>

I hadn't looked at the eMu board for a couple days... guess it finally created the storm you were fearing it might have, huh?
  • Hey, Ray -- welcome to the forum. There have been a few "fights" here over personal taste in music, but they haven't resorted to meanness. Hope you find something to like in this forum.
  • Welcome Ray, I did think twice-ish before approving your application, but hey, what's the worst that can happen :-)

Everybody play nice now.
  • Only twice?

Damn. I must be losing my touch...
  • In my defence, I haven't been keeping up with the boards on emu or here lately.
    So apologies if I missed an apocalypse or two.
  • Apology accepted.
  • @rayray23

in the future, please use the private message feature for such direct discourse. regardless of how right or wrong you may be, the option exists here and would get the message to the person who offended you...rather than all of us seeing another round of combat.

with that said, if it turns out we can all break the cycle of harsh, then great...welcome aboard. if not, then we all fall victim to a banal brick wall of our own creation.

finally, not to play referee - but you know that you will have a greater responsibility in this equation than anyone else...it isn't fair, but if predictable results happen...xtrev holds the delete key.