Will another one bite the dust?

edited February 2010 in General
The buzz has been around, and now it's looking bad for Louisville's premiere independent record store. I would sure hate to see this one go. It is, indeed, a very special place.

Ear X-tacy on the brink of closing

Comments

• This would be very bad. I'm all the way over in Mercer County and this is still just about the closest independent music store I've got (there's one in Lexington I haven't been to yet).
    I picked up the new Bill Frisell album "Disfarmer" at Earxtacy the day it came out. I haven't done that for a very long time, but an album on release day. I did it for Calexico's "Garden Ruin" at the Tower Records on Clark in Chicago back in something like '02, but that's rock... a jazz cd on release day, man, that was something special.
    My wife lived her entire childhood one half block from earxtacy. I will do my best to buy more music there when I'm in town this weekend.
  • Just got a "ThinkIndie" e-mail that My Morning Jacket is donating proceeds from their live album download to benefit this place. Purty cool.
  • edited February 2010
    My wife took me out of town this week for my 40th birthday. We stopped for one night in Louisville, and I took advantage of it by stopping in to Ear-x-tacy Tuesday afternoon for some shopping.
    The employees, as always, were very helpful. One guy in particular, after punching a bunch of names into his system to see what he had, then took me around the store to search them out (they have about a hundred different genre sections). The owner, at one point, came up to me an apologized that nothing was on the shelves. Apparently after news went out about the store's predicament, the community came out over the weekend and bought him out of his inventory (a good thing, obviously).
    Here's what I picked up as my contribution to helping a great store keep the lights on.

John Zorn - "O'o"
    John Zorn - "Alahambra Love Songs"
    Thelonious Monk - "Straight, No Chaser" (which I might have to return; I'm positive I have a copy of this, but I haven't seen it for I don't know how long.)
    Freddie Hubbard - "Open Sesame" (RVG)
    Richmond Fontaine - (Whatever their new album is called, something like "The highway sounds like a river sleeping" or something)
    Damn, I can't think of what else I got. There was some more jazz, I'm sure of it. I'll have to look when I'm down in the car again today.

The Zorn I'm especially excited about. He's a musician that I've decided to dedicate time and money to this year.

EDIT: Hey, I just remembered another one... Anouar Brahem's new one "The Amazing Eyes of Rita". That may be it. I think I spent about eighty bucks, all new no used cds, and Zorns are never cheap, so that looks about right.