Lala is wonderful

edited February 2010 in General
Thank you for turning me onto Lala. The albums were piling up in my emu SFL bucket because it became difficult to find a free listen on some of these bands to determine if I wanted to buy their album eventually. Lala, for the most part, has become the centerpiece of my music research process. I've spent the day watching the snow fall and reading and listening to albums off my SFL.
Does Apple own lala? I was gonna send a nice letter to lala saying how much I've enjoyed their service in the brief time I've been using it, but if it's Apple who owns 'em, then screw it. I bought a mac laptop last year; that's all the thanks they need.
But lala is rocking my music world right now, you betcha.

Comments

• Yeah, the one-free-listen aspect is really an amazing resource, well past any previous sampling tool post-original-Napster.
  • Apple bought Lala recently, but they didn't start it.
  • prices still too high on non-sale items imo

but i like lala
  • I haven't seen anything yet that I would buy the mp3 of from Lala, and I have zero use for streaming only rights, but I sure do appreciate that one free listen capability. I'm mowing through my emu SFL.
    Also, I enjoy typing the word Lala. Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala. Very satisfying.
  • I have only bought about 3 albums from LALA in a few years, mainly a new release at a bargain price, like the last Decemberists' album. I wonder if they will do that anymore now that Apple owns them.
  • Lala has been a great addition. They had the recent three-dollar blue note sale and I got the best bang for my buck download ever there: the Rarum 12 CD box Set for fifteen dollars. But the ability to stream albums once before DLing has saved me a lot of times, though I still get had about one bad download every twenty albums or so at eMu.
  • That ECM Rarum box was a great deal, lots of good music on that, and I only had a handful of dupes. Did take me forever to retag everything track by track though. Finally done.
  • I don't mean to get all sappy, but I totally have a crush on Lala. It keeps winning my heart by playing full albums of music I'd never get to hear elsewhere and asks for nothing in return other than an occasional loving look at its screen. It doesn't even mind that my gaze wanders off to other open windows while it plays an album for me and only me, just so long as I keep coming back to it.
    I heart Lala big time.
  • edited March 2010
    Besides sampling albums I want to try out, I also use it to listen to albums from Tom Moon's 1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die list, which is fun and useful.
  • Whoa, he's got the Baby Huey Story on there. I've been looking for an inexpensive copy of that off and on since I heard it off someone's iPod. Interestingly, Lala thinks I own it and won't let me buy it for $5.99. :O