How old does a kid need to be to take them to First Avenue?

edited May 2010 in Punk
I'm going to need to make this type of decision starting around November 1.

A buddy of mine says they need to be at least 6 to see Gwar, but that seems awfully old to me. Anyone else have any input?

Craig

Comments

• Hey congrats! (I think that's what you're saying).

I've personally not gotten very far with my kids' listening habits - between my wife insisting on all kids music, and the grandfather playing the Country Station for them. ("I want truck driver music, like Pop-Pop listens to says my three year old.")
  • You are correct, sir.

Thankfully my wife is against Disney type stuff so that will limit the amount of kids music. I'll probably have to limit my Rage Against the Machine intake though.

Craig
  • Congrats Cafreema, hope all goes beautifully for you and Mrs C.

When the little tyke gets older, I will have some suggestions for you: sneak preview. For the first few months, all you will care about is lullabies.
  • W00T! Congrats.

These are good days for music for the little uns. It's when they become pre-teens that all hell breaks loose. For now I have plenty of great new music to thank my nigh-2-year-old for. Elizabeth Mitchell, Dan Zanes, heck even some Raffi. Lot's of good stuff that's supposedly just for kids!

And she makes me play Grizzly Bear everyday along with Feist on Sesame Street (1, 2, 3, 4 monsters walk across the floor).
  • Thanks Doofy and thom!

Feist is a good one to keep in mind, and it makes sense that kids would enjoy her. Plus, I can show the kid the Colbert Report Christmas special she was on, and that is freakin' hilarious.

Craig
  • Congrats counselor....

Play the kid the Beatles, Zep, and the Who in the crib, and he/she will have his/her bearing straight for life.
  • edited May 2010
    congratulations cafreema

Beatles 3 months, then Stones for 3; after that, nature will take its course.
  • My six-year old daughter loves the Beatles and wants to listen to Mozart at bed-time (I am sooooo proud). She has already has declared her intention to be a "rock star." My 12-year old was fed a steady diet of Dylan from me) and Loretta Lynn (my wife) and now thinks Miranda Cosgrove is pretty cool. I think that is a failure on my part.

I will say that family movie night often includes Help! or Yellow Submarine, and I did get them to watch "The Point."
  • Congrats and good luck (I say as father of a 2 & 5 yo). On a serious note, taking kids to rock-type concerts is unfortunately pretty much off-limits purely because of the ubiquitous overamplification. It's hard to find an amplified show of any type these days that isn't at an objectively cilia-damaging volume level.

As a music fanatic, I have no patience or tolerance for "kid" music, so my kids grow up inundated with everything, with no particular allowance for any natural tastes of theirs. That may have some positive impacts, but also drawbacks: my 5 yo son in kindergarten dislikes music class because it's all "kid" music and not "real music" (his phrase). And I wouldn't be surprised if "kid music" is good for the brain's musical development - simpler, melodic stuff probably does bolster that more than messy, noisier, more complicated music that they run into. I hope not, but I can imagine that their learning to "turn off" their ears because they're stuck hearing so much music around me - that will be my fault, but I'm too selfish to care enough to temper it. Oh well. My son can identify by ear jazz, classical, Indian, Greek, and rock pretty reliably. He isn't yet batting 1.000 on distinguishing alto and tenor saxes though. Mute trumpet he can nail though, and can easily tell you the instruments in a piano trio.

One "kid" album I do love for itself is TMBG's No! - probably my 3rd favorite of theirs after their first two.
  • edited May 2010
    karg, here's one you can live with: Woody's 20 Grow-Big Songs.

arloguthrie10.jpg

Recorded by Arlo and other family members. There is a book set out there too, including words and drawings by Woody, which he made for his kids. My daughter knew all about Woody by the time she was 4 (though there was some confusion with Woody from Toy Story).

Also see above, Trout Fishing in America. Fun stuff.
  • Thanks for all the well wishes folks!

Craig
  • At 22 months (alright, one week shy) just gave a rather sound recommendation for the Beatles - she sang "Blackbird" all by herself.
  • Impressive! I want to hear a 22 month old sing "Come Together" though. Then I want them to explain the lyrics to me.

Craig
  • If they sing Helter Skelter at 22 mo, time to worry.
  • "when I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide, then I stop and I turn and I go for a ride, then I get to the bottom and I see you again, yeah yeah yeah."

Sounds like a perfect playground song to me.

it turns out almost anything can be made into a kids' song (link)
  • They do look like fun slides.
  • well well well - you will never know how big of a gift the two of you just created - your child will give you far more than you can ever imagine. (i'll share a story at the end of this - but first, i'll stay on topic)

when your child is a newborn til (as much as 6 months) you'll want to have some relaxing music on hand - my suggestion to you is to plead your case to brighter and plong. back in the day when our first was born, moby's "play" - and i can't remember what songs, sorry - really made the newest work through whatever was getting him up at 2 a.m., 4 a.m., etc..

as time goes by, you'll inevitably dabble with classical music. i recall it being referred to as "da da da music". avoid bartok. it creeps them out...especially in the fall.

as even more time goes by they can listen to anything really...trs-80's "motoki" is one of their favorite summer blast songs. amon tobin's "verbal" is "the weirdo song" and i get tons of shouts for the weirdo song. garrett, who is a saint, picks out songs that really work at a level your typical teenager isn't connecting - i.e. "blood" by middle east. he also loves "swim" by surfer blood as he is a swimmer - no big mystery there.

now - to tell you a story as to what your child can bring into this world: recently, mia's father had a heart attack (everything's going to be fine) and ended up in the ICU at northwestern hospital here in town. he was poked and prodded and monitored and prodded some more. he was really in alot of discomfort. but when the boys came in his demeanor changed as if the world was right again. each day he'd ask "when are the little ones coming?" at 87, and in somewhat dire circumstances, his reason for being was to see the boys. your child, without question, has just made everything you do in this world worth doing.

congrats.

• 68, you brought a tear to my eye.

My in-laws have helped us out financially with a number of things. Sometimes it has that old-fashioned negative effect of making me feel like an inadequate provider. But after forking over a big check that let us replace a 60+ year old tub and shower with lead pipes and rotted wood they reminded my wife that the money was there for us and they would rather see us and our little girl enjoy it while they were still around.
  • @thom, I can relate to that feeling of being an inadequate provider. With the wife having been laid off last year and a mountain of hospital bills in the last 3 months my once "grand paycheck" feels like a pittance as we cut further notches in the belt for tightening. :-/
  • Thanks 68. That's a wonderful story with your father-in-law, and some good RECs too.

Thom, we actually already had that experience. Even though the docs can find nothing wrong with either of us, we ended up having to go through IVF to get pregnant. That is far from cheap and insurance only covers a small percentage. My in-laws were nice enough to give us some money under the assumption that "if [they] want grandkids, they'll have to pay for them." They were joking, and I understood what they meant, but...ouch.

Craig
  • kinda took a step back from this for no reason other than life gets busy as sin...

@thom: glad to hear this was meaningful for you + thx for sharing YOUR story. make sure to plaster the grands' refrigerator with pix of your daughter!!!

@james: keep the faith - you two are great parents and sticking on the same page is an almighty power

@craig: wtf??? ivf??? !!! why didn't you just write me and say "68, i could use some of y'er riot-provoking sexuality...can you help a guy out?" - and, by god, i'd'a sent the polynesian love goddess to you in a heartbeat.

dude.
    the old joke: why do grandkids + grandparents get along so well? > they share a common enemy - is just that, a joke. mebbe.
  • Heh. Like I said the docs can't find anything wrong, so I'd have taken that polynesian love goddess in a similar heartbeat! It's all good now, though.

My mother-in-law sent us a note pad with a cover showing one of those '50sesque advertisements that are so popular now, that shows a woman and a baby. The caption reads, "together you and I will OWN your grandparents."

Craig
  • Exactly kargatron.

Craig
  • Of course there are the downsides too that you need to steel yourself for....

Reminds me of the old Rainbow Foods in Midway before the remodeling job....
  • Are you referring to the one on Larpenteur and Lexington (more or less)? That one was certainly a hole before the remodel, but it's in Roseville.

I'm just telling myself my child will be 100% well mannered. Delusional? Of course, but I can dream.

Craig
  • pffff. i typed a bunch. nothing appears.

mutex needs to upgrade my filters.

movies!

y'er a long way from this, but "the fantastic mr. fox" is about the best movie to enjoy with the kids i can rec. "october sky" is a very good one as well.
  • I was referring to the one off Snelling and University. That one used to be a total pit - every other woman in the store had 3-4 hyperactive, ill-mannered, sceaming kids with her. It always swore me off children for a month every time I shopped there.

The one you're talking about (next to the Roseville 4 before it closed) was a luxury spa in comparison. I'll have to say that Roundy really did a decent job of fixing them up when they bought the chain. Most of them look nicer than most Cub foods now, which was never the case before.
  • Movies to enjoy w/the kids: Any of the Wallace & Gromit shorts.
  • I don't want to alarm you Craig, but you might want to watch this documentary one of my friends made: Man vs Child 1 - Home Alone