OK

2»

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I am sitting here with my full month's allotment of download credits or cash and I am unable to use it to download because I'm thinking maybe they will do the honorable thing

I have a full month's credit, $17.89, and I'm not downloading because I'm thinking about whether or not I will do the honorable thing.

For some reason when the first rolled around they tried to charge my PapPal account instead of the card they have always used. I don't remember ever giving them my paypal info, but apparently I must have. However, the bank account my paypal account is linked to is closed. My bank refused paypal, paypal refused emu, and emu GAVE ME THE CREDIT ANYWAY. So now I have credit with them without it having cost me anything at all.

The little angel on one shoulder says, "You can't take it because you didn't pay for it. Let customer service know what happened." The little devil on the other shoulder says, "Emusic is screwing everybody anyway, and you're almost out of there, so f' 'em. The artists will get their two cents or whatever it is. Go for it."
  • How long has it been sitting there? It can take them a long while to clear billing issues as I suspect it is an entirely manual process. Why they are not depositing credit after receiving an authorization code is beyond me, unless PayPal always issues auth codes and then checks funding later. Anyway, my vote is wait 14 days, then spend.
  • edited December 2010
    Somebody pass me the soap

I couldn't take it anymore and downloaded Here My Dear

The Album now seems to be hailed as a masterpiece but I remember it being universally panned as self indulgent and not up to standard when it was first released. The music is every bit worth the 30 year wait for me to get it. You know it really is quite fortuitous that I am finally hearing the entire album with enough distance between me and my own personal little visit with the fine folks down at the family court. I really could not have gotten this deep into understanding Marvin's artistic statement 30 years ago.

Yes the album is self indulgent, and yes it is lacking technically in certain ways, but nonetheless, yes it is a masterpiece. You can hear where Marvin pulled a lot of this right out of his ass. But you know that is how you tell who is and who isn't a musical genius. Marvin could put a divorce decree to music and make you want to sing along.

As far as the download it self the bitrates seem reasonable but the average VBR seems to be all over the map from a low of 86 to a high of 320 with the majority somewhere in the 150 to 250 vicinity.

I burned a CD and although it has some issues I am thinking it may be more an issue with me not knowing how to use the new CD burning software yet. In the car the CD doesn't sound bad but it doesn't, como dice, sparkle. It will take me a few more listens to determine if I can hear limitations or imperfections. But I really wish Mordac would get their shit together, and that right quick.

I'm sorry Big D I couldn't hold out.

Viva la causa
  • True Confessions, is it? Here goes - I downloaded 8 tracks from Their Satanic Majesties Request in spite of myself because 7dig didn't have it on sale. I'll add the other tracks from my Through A Glass Darkly CD. Had to complete my string of Stones. There I feel better now.
  • I'm sorry Big D I couldn't hold out.
    No shame. I'm glad you came back with an complete account of the sound quality.
  • Sometime poor sound quality is better than no sound at all. Seems this may be the case, JUJ.
  • Only in the beginning Mommio

After you get to know the music the imperfections are multiplied exponentially with each additional listen

And yes there are imperfections in the original rip. I don't have the original album but I don't believe Marvin would have allowed the gapless transitions between tracks to be this rough hewn (sloppy even). I gotta believe that it is just poor rips at the Mordac level.

I found the same thing on Bootsy Collins Stretchin Out where Bootsy begins the song with an emphatic "hallelujah" which had been completely omitted in their rips. This amounts to about a second of material. I put in a customer service complaint and they tried to argue with me that there was nothing wrong with the rip. To which I replied with bluntly worded "aw hell naw" which I think resulted in my receiving a credit for the track. I would much rather have had the extra second of material.

So I am thinking of complaining about the gapless rips in Here My Dear but you know they just don't get it and I'm tired of explaining why it is important.
  • After reading all the complaints about the recent big addition, I am afraid to download anything from those labels. It's a cryin' shame. They already have your money, so it's be very, very careful in choosing downloads or cancel.
  • After you get to know the music the imperfections are multiplied exponentially with each additional listen
    I'm more afraid that rather than detecting the imperfections of the rip, I'll just develop a general dissatisfaction with the album and I won't know why.
  • Naa

Go ahead and download your music.

If we let the lawyers get between us and the music then the terrorists win (or something)
  • I'll just develop a general dissatisfaction with the album and I won't know why.

If you can figure out how to explain this to the people who are busy calculating the return on investment rather than staying true to the original music you might have a future in remedial education.
  • I'm more afraid that rather than detecting the imperfections of the rip, I'll just develop a general dissatisfaction with the album and I won't know why.

This is exactly what's keeping me away from any Universal stuff. Especially when the price gap between Mordac and amazon is often so small. I'd rather wait a while, even a long while, to get something than to have an album or artist ruined for life just so I could save $2.

This is what's got me on the fence altogether too. I wonder about the sound quality of everything new there. But then I think, it's the cheapest. But then I think it's not that much cheaper. But I really like it's avenues for exploration. But there's a lot more on the interwebs to explore than there was 5 years ago. Oh dear. Where did the fun go?
  • Soul and R&B are NOT subcategories of Hip Hop. That's like saying your grandfather is a descendant of your newborn infant child. That's just ass backwards and wrong to boot.
    Oh my goodness, this comparison of yours is funny!