Simon Said (Set my people free) July 2009

edited July 2009 in Diversions
This is the Simon said game play thread, a completely new and totally distinct game about finding and sharing great music. All styles and genres are welcome and encouraged. Any similarities to games you may have previously played are purely coincidental.

The game is designed to be an interesting long term no pressure distraction. You should be able to play at your own personal whim. It will be easy to disappear for weeks or months but pick up the game later with no difficulty.

Rules for the Simon said game

The purpose of the game is not to win but to play

It is based on the honor system so competition junkies may not find it fulfilling

The premise is simple

You win points by finding and making good music recommendations within an unspecified website. The boundaries of the game are limited only to the boundaries of the unspecified website. You make recommendations by posting in this and other threads, creating lists, linking to samples etc. In short, the whole of your existence on the unspecified website is included in game play. Consequently, people who don't even know they are playing can possibly win the game (and most likely will do so).

When someone likes your recommendations enough to download songs you've recommended they award points to you by:

1. Downloading the music (one point per track)
2. Creating and posting the downloaded music in a public list titled "Simon said" & indicating which month and year the points are awarded
3. Posting a notice within the game play thread listing the name and number of points awarded

It is extremely important that you create your Simon said list. This allows the rest of us to easily browse through the great music you have found. Including additional information and links back to the source of your find will help others find music they love as well.

As the game play lists for participants begins to grow they will serve as a beacon to folks as they sift through the unspecified website. When you click on a Simon said list you are viewing recommendations that have been vetted by the marketplace of ears.

On the last day of the month the player with the most cumulative points gets to sit in the chair of honor (Throne) for the following month. With this honor the winner receives the privilege of selecting one download that all game participants are honor bound to download and listen. The theory behind this is the winner will select a song that he/she feels is really important or good or simply in need of attention. The benefit to the rest of us is that we spend one download to buy a song we might otherwise have never downloaded and perhaps find some new music to enjoy.

With this winner's privilege also comes responsibilities. The named winner will function as the game play thread host/janitor. The duties are simply to reign over the game play thread. The winner is expected to:

1. Keep the game play thread near the front page so it can easily be found by posting to the thread during lulls in activity
2. Greet and instruct n00bies
3. Render judgments and interpretations on the finer points of game play
4. There are no known glitches at this website but one occurs you should ping the benevolent dictator
5. Keep yourself from becoming some sort of fascist.

Comments

• If nobody wants to do this then I will let it go but I am sitting on a butt load of hot new major label booty. Sifting through this stuff has also caused me to find some more non major label stuff that was already there.

Well it looks like all we need now is an independence day monarch to get things started. I could appoint myself but that doesn't seem quite right.

This thread seems to be headed in the right direction. Thom seems to have a lot of nice recommendations.

So by the power vested in me by this here keyboard I proclaim Thom to be King of Simon Said

I'm off to have me share of outdoor cookin
  • John Gorka is one of the new arrivals. Land Of The Bottom Line may well be his best album. I bought the CD way back when it was relatively new. I like his lyrics. Two to sample:

I Saw A Stranger With Your Hair

Title track

I have three or four Gorka CDs, but this is my favorite and the only one I have that is currently over there.
  • kezkez
    edited July 2009
    I always meant to get some John Gorka and incredibly never seemed to get around to it. Land of the Bottom Line sounds like a good place to start. Thanks.

Mommio - you'd think the "whisper your comments" box would be self-explanatory, but I was interpreting it as a general address box. I did click the BBCode button when I originally inserted the URL, but it didn't work.

I downloaded that Celebrate America I mentioned somewhere earlier and truly amazed myself when I realized I was dancin' around to Old MacDonald Had a Farm - hate to admit that! This really is a very, very fun album. Excellent muscianship. O Susannah and I've Been Working on the Railroad have some really great sax, and This Land Is Your Land is beautifully done. Even Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star is nicely done.

JUJ - I'm glad to see there's a way to keep in touch! Been missing you 'over there.'
  • Uh-oh. Guess I don't know how to do the hyperlinks here. Can somebody tell me?
  • edited July 2009
    Underneath the "Enter your comments" box -- change the button to BBCode. Try editing your post and see if you can change the format -- your links will then look as you expected them to link.

I'm not sure how the Whisper works -- I think it's like a private message. I'm puzzled. I'm guessing it shows up only to the person addressed? You might want to make sure that post is for everyone so JUJ sees it. Just leave the Whisper box empty to post to the whole community.
  • edited July 2009
    Madhatter gets 28 for Esquivel Remixed (I even unfroze my account to get it), only costs 12 credits too.

Three new Americana/alt.country/Singer Songwriter albums some of you might be interested in.
    Chuck Mead, of BR-549 Journeyman's Wager
    Slaid Cleaves Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away
    Charlie Robison Beautiful Day This is his divorce album apparently, but sounds pretty upbeat on a quick listen!
  • kezkez
    edited July 2009
    I've been enjoying Maeve O'Boyle's debut album All My Sins lately. This is her debut album and it's been described as "a heady mix of folk and pop" that is a "refreshing change from the mass produced fodder that clogs up the charts" in this review from the Linn Records website.
  • I am honored and privileged... or something. I'll get right on my duties once I'm done d/ling every James Blackshaw release before they all magically jump to 12 credits.

@NackerP - madhatter should get credit for the Esquivel rec.
  • Thanks, Thom. Fixed.
  • edited July 2009
    d/ling every James Blackshaw release before they all magically jump to 12 credit

Oh, good heads up. Except they already are. My SFL is shot to hell.
    sob

So is it King JUJ or King Thom? Good to see you all, no matter the answer!
  • Katrina, double check those Blackshaw albums. His latest release was on Young Gods which has switched to full albums (I knew I should have downloaded that earlier), but most of his material is on Thompkins Square which is still 1 to 1.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi, all! I had to take a bit of a break from ... due to a sucky computer. I have a new one and after vacation will fill it with more ...-y goodness, and I hope no one holds it against me that I downloaded Back to Basics by Christina Aguilera.

Edited for JUJ's eyes. :)
  • Gosh, I wouldn't hold it against you, but do be careful of naming that other place. :)

JUJ is allergic, breaks out in hives every time that name comes up.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, JUJ starts Shakin' all Over.
  • 14 points to JUJ for Blue Notes and Ballads. I am awarding points for number of tracks rather than credits required to download album.
  • edited July 2009
    Mommio I applaud your good taste. You will not be disappointed in that Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes featuring Teddy. Just listen to the inhuman harmonies in those songs. Man, this group was tighter than an extra small pair of under drawers, both vocally and physically. Just check out the footwork on this incarnation of The Bluenotes featured in the album cover (there were several versions of The Bluenotes right up until today).

And Teddy Pendegrass had many great enduring solo hits after his departure from the group. But artistically, he never attained the level created in this group. Teddy is just a vocalistic beast (think George Foreman and Mike Tyson's love child.)

I got the album with that picture of the group one year for Christmas as a young lad. But this album is a compilation (That is one of my minor disgruntlements with So-Nee mixing and matching original photos with later incarnations) but this album is better than the original. I might encourage you to spring for another download and pickup Be For Real which, inexplicably is not included on your compilation.

There is jazz, blues, soul and a bunch of other shit all mixed together. This music is Gamble and Huff Philly Soul in all its resplendent glory.

edit
    And the bassline in I Miss You is a classic standard that is studied to this day.
  • edited July 2009
    1 point to JUJ for Be For Real

All 15 tracks from Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes -- a most excellent recommendation. Some of the songs, of course, are familiar to me. I remember when Teddy Pendergrass was in the auto accident. It was so hard to believe he was paralyzed from the waist down. Thanks, JUJ, for the recommendation.

The full album (Blue Notes and Ballads) comes through in iTunes as Rock. Can you believe it?
  • edited July 2009
    Rules clarification please : does it matter when the rec was made?
    I read a post from Katrina, back in april (I think) recommending Bitter:Sweet. Only just got round to downloading Mating Game and am loving it.

11 points to Katrina
    Mating Game

edit - hope this link works, thanks mommio - although the BBC button didn't seem to work
  • edited July 2009
    Martyna, it doesn't matter when you came across the recommendation. I add albums to my Saved for Later and add the nick of the person who mentioned the album or track in the comments section, partly for this game, partly because I just want to know where I got the idea. The game really is for fun and for finding great music.

As for the links, go back and edit your post. Click the BBC button Underneath the "Enter your comment" box and Voila! Your link now looks like a real link. :)

Edit: The BBC button did work. I just didn't explain that the submitted post will look right, not your comment box. I just leave the BBCode button selected all the time.
  • edited July 2009
    1 point to JUJ for Let It Be You -- from Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes. That's two singles I downloaded from that album, but no more because the rest are on Blue Notes and Ballads, already credited to JUJ.

Now for a recommendation:
    Eleven Songs by Luka Bloom.

There are 14 tracks, as the final 3 tracks are eMusic only bonuses (sorry, I said it, didn't I?) I have been a fan since he released Riverside, one of my favorite CDs. Alas, his early albums are not available at the site (Warner label). Luka is one of my "companions" on the highway.
  • 14 points to Confused for Chance and Circumstance by The Peter Malick Group. Not your typical Malick CD, as this is a joint recording with 5 female singer-songwriters, Jess Klein, Antje Duvekot, Norah Jones, Kirsten Proffit, and daughter Mercy Malick. This was in my SFL list forever and just got around to downloading it. Really enjoying it.

Mommio, thanks for pointing out Luka Bloom's 'Eleven Songs.' I very much like his previous albums, 'Keeper of the Flame,' 'Between the Mountain and the Moon,' and 'Innocence,' but had not really investigated 'Eleven Songs' yet. I'll have to do that.
  • 7 points to kez for Whilia. The whole of that thread is a goldmine.
  • 2 points to frogkopf for tracks 13 & 28. Mind you, that's two hours of music; maybe he should score a new-style eMu 24.
  • kezkez
    edited July 2009
    I recommend 'Live at Iota' by the roots-rock alt/country-ish band Last Train Home. This band is new to me, but evidently they are well-known in the DC area where they have been a staple performer at the IOTA Club & Cafe in Arlington, VA for more than 10 years. I just downloaded this album and have only played it through once, but I think it is excellent. Two of my favorite tracks are Walls of Time (this song really rocks! Has some great guitar licks and also trumpet), and Lover's Farewell.
  • Thanks for the wakey wake JUJ. You might even get some points for that when I refresh this weekend (oh what a feeling).

We're a third of the way through July, and how's everyone doing?
    Madhatter - 28
    jackedUPjazz - 15
    Confused - 14
    Katrina - 11
    kez - 7
    frogkopf - 2

And remember people, have fun (linky - just grab the first track, skip the silly 12 credit remixes)
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Thom

One of your duties as King of Simon Sed is to identify one track that all game participants are honor bound to download.
    However, what with downloads costing a whole lot more there may not be quite as much honor as one would hope.

Linky

Anywho, you gave us the point count for a number of participants but you didn't tell us what you downloaded because of their recommendations.

I am very curious
  • 5 more to kev for the first 5 tracks on Ashley Davis's 'Down by the Sea' - once again from the Celtic music thread.

3 to amclark2 for Bembaya Jazz National's Regard sur le Pass