Simon Said (Set my people free) July 2009

2»

Comments

• JUJ - I was actually just posting people's current scores. I haven't had a chance to follow any recs yet. And for a must d/l, I will point you in the direction of a Chilean goddess that haunts my dreams (alright, she's actually American-born, but I think we can all agree that she gets her hotness from Chile):

Muleta (now with moving pictures)

Linky
  • Thom - nice choice on that American-Chilean lady. She's completely new to me. The last track, Esta Noche, caught my attention. I listened to the entire track on You Tube and like it a lot. That version was only about 3 1/2 minutes long, though, and I see the track on this CD is 9 minutes. Is the piano spotlighted in a long instrumental break on that track? I was thinking of downloading it.
  • There's a "hidden" bonus track at the end of Esta Noche. It's an English-language song called "Queen". Caught me off guard the first time. But she sounds awesome in any language.
  • kez gets 7 points from me for Fernhill' Whilia.

And amclark2 gets 19 for The Advisory Circle's Other Channels.

Probably more to come as I'm going to try to polish off my latest refresh soon.
  • Sorry to be all mainstream pop boring, but this song rules.
  • 19 points to Daniel, Esq., who convinced me to download Off The Wall by Michael Jackson. Yeah, I splurged on the Special Edition.
  • Hope you like it. Off The Wall is MJ's best solo disc (tho Thriller is amazing too, obv).
  • That's a tough call. I go back and forth between Thriller and Off The Wall. They're at about the same level, and I view them both as essential pop music. Boy do I wish I could cherrypick from Bad...
  • Does this have to be eMu? Given the feelings some posters now have about that site, perhaps we could give points for stuff from elsewhere. I'll start by giving amclark2 90 points for the first three of these.

As for eMu, right now I'm working my way through Podger and Gable's readings of Mozart's Piano & Violin Sonatas. They are excellent.

Also Mose Fanfan's Hello, hello - wonderful stuff, which takes me right back to wherever it was.
  • edited July 2009
    It seems to me that since we have been driven into the desert there is no good reason to limit the game exclusively to TPWSNBS. The game should be about finding great music worldwide (as long as its a legal download). Double points for finding freebie downloads. I remember that Amazon from time to time has downloads that are priced to move. And what is this Amie Street of which you speak.

I guess we would need to be extra careful with the Linkys so that folks can find your recs. But you know really, that could turn out to be this place's claim to fame, a clearing house for finding great (or at least cheaply priced) music world wide

That's it, we'll conquer the world bwahahahahahahah

Linky
  • JUJ - you should check out amiestreet.com. I just started using it a week or so ago. I still haven't figured out the 'rec' thing much, but the way the site works is that new listings always start out free (or very, very cheap) and increase in price as popularity grows, as demonstrated by the number of hits for downloads any given CD gets. Earlier today I grabbed Sarah Vaughn Live in Japan totally free, and also a track of Lightnin' Hopkins.

Seems like their most wide selection is in indie-rock/pop, but they do have some folk, jazz, classical and international listings, too.
  • kezkez
    edited July 2009
    Deleted.
  • Maybe I will give it a look see because TWSNBS has changed

Linky
  • edited July 2009
    I was recently introduced to John Flynn and his singer-songwriting. (Singing songwriting? I think you know what I mean.)

And for folk, one of my favorite non-thatsite is Peter Mayer. He always gets my toes tapping and my voice humming along with "Where Is The Light?" And he's on MySpace, although not my favorite upbeat songs.
  • 37 points to Kez for Rachel Podger: La Stravaganza Volume 1 and Volume 2 (Vivaldi violin concertos)
  • I have been derelict in my duties. So here's a half-assed bump. I plan on starting a July d/l thread since I've used all mine up, but will also include what I picked up elsewhere. Definitely think we should be expanding beyond what you know where covers (as Tim and JUJ mentioned).
  • 24 points to MrV for Mississipi John Hurt - Rediscovered

If you like your blues with warmth, humor, one guitar, one man, with a sitting on the back porch feel, this one is for you.
  • 36 points to MrV for Ralph Stanley and Friends - Clinch Mountain Country

Great "Mountain Music" - MrV recommended a track by Junior Brown (an unfamiliar name to me), and the search led me to this compilation that includes a track featuring Junior Brown. Heck, I do have to give MrV credit for my finding this album.
  • 23 points to Bamboosteve for Malicorne's Le Mariage Anglais and Almanach

51 points to Wesley for the good deal on the Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Legacy Edition.
  • We need August! I'm ready to award some points.
  • Yeah, where is Thom

Time to pass the baton
  • Long weekend with the little 'un. I'll whip out my abacus this morning and figure the totals...
  • It was a close race to the end, however unless some points have failed to be posted we have a winner. The top three:

MrV - 60
    kez - 56
    Wesley - 51

Congrats MrV. May God have mercy on your thread...
  • Hey Thom

I believe it is customary for the resigning monarch to start the new month's thread by cutting the first post from this thread and pasting it in the new thread and announcing the winner there.

Linky
  • Do I win any points for being the most clueless monarch? (link)

New thread on the way!