Travel Recs!

edited July 2009 in Diversions
So tomorrow I leave from Sydney for three weeks in the USA -- I leave, travel for 20 plus hours and arrive the same time I left. Miracle!

So I will be in
Las Vegas
Flagstaff, Arizona (my sister lives there)
Chicago
Memphis
Los Angeles (one day only)

Any hidden gems you'd like to share? Obviously I know the big stuff -- Graceland, Sun, Stax, a million other Memphis places, the googleable blues clubs in Chicago, the Grand Canyon etc etc but any tips that might otherwise fly under the radar? Music related is always cool, but also any funky bookshops, galleries, cheapo restaurants and bars, whatever!

My friend in Chicago has an eMu account, I guess I'll have to log on and browse all that contraband Sony stuff I'm missing out on and they won't let me even see too. ;-)

Comments

• It's been a while since I lived in LA, so I doubt i could help you out with places to go. However, you should look for a copy of the Minutemen documentary, We Jam Econo.
  • While in Flagstaff, consider a visit to Sedona, Arizona. Gorgeous scenery (Oak Creek Canyon) and considered by many to have spiritual vibes. It has become an artist's colony, New Ager's haven, etc. I saw that area many, many years ago before it was "discovered," and mental images are with me still.

Have a safe trip, and enjoy your visit.
  • when will you be in chicago???? a couple festivals are in swing...pitchfork + lalapalooza (kings of leon is getting big headlines) cover the epic side of indie music (but are somewhat costly - x out craigslist) waco brothers are playing the 21st at a decent place - fitzgeralds. schuba's is another bar that has decent acts (a number of the old emusic live recordings were from that establishment).

as far as blues, unfortunately, that corporate suck-hole has pulled in many acts (house of blues)...but the near south side places are evolving...so ask y'er pal to x out things that might be going on just south of the loop.

memphis! f'n is the deal. imho, nothing is better in the summer than hanging out on beale street with temps at 90+ and beer + bands in sync.

in any event, let me know when you'll be in chicago! i'm downtown during the week + up north the balance. first beer is on me!
  • by the by, i'll be easy to spot...with this new haircut, just think of munch's "scream" + just shout "68, you tosser!" + i'll respond.
  • Downtown Flagstaff has some good cafes & at least one good brewery, and as mommio suggested, if you can swing it, you should try to visit Sedona. Oak Creek Canyon really is lovely. Wupatki National Monument & Sunset Crater National Monumet are both close to Flagstaff, and they're also worth visiting. I've been meaning to check out Walnut National Monument sometime.

When in Vegas, I easily tire of the strip; I prefer downtown. It's cheaper, less slick, and there's a cool outdoor neon gallery there. Valley of Fire state park is a good getaway from the city, but you'd probably need a car to get there. This has been my favorite place to stay in LV. I like not being surrounded by smoke and slot machines, and sometimes you can get a good deal on rooms.

Do you know where in LA you'll be?
  • Thanks all.

mommio and captwhiffle, Sedona and those other spots are definitely in the works. Judging from her flickr site and blog my sister takes everyone who visits her to those places. They are very outdoorsy and she works for a vet clinic/animal shelter that does a lot of work in the Navajo nation around there so they know all the national parks and monuments and hopefully lots of lesser known places too.

In Vegas, I have never been there before but based on what everyone said I decided I was a downtown person too and am staying at the Golden Nugget for a couple of nights then I'm going to a conference at the South Point which is essentially off strip. How much I get to see of the strip will depend on the jet lag I think! Being a Star Trek geek, Quark's would have been a must-do but it's closed sadly. The Neon museum is right round the corner I think so that is a definite.

Thanks brittleblood! That beer would be cool, I am there Saturday July 18th- Tues 22nd, leaving the 23rd for Memphis. My friend is actually showing his work at the Flatstock poster exhibition which is being held within the Pitchfork Fest so I did look at going but ... eh, I guess I'm not that much into indie rock. I wouldn't mind seeing The National, but I think for my only Saturday night in Chicago I can find a better way to spend my $35.

it's funny, I have been furiously googling every one whose records I have ever owned, checking Pollstar, checking all the Time Outs and so on so I can grab some shows and ... everyone I want to see is in bloody Europe! Or Canada. Or parts of the USA I am not. The only person I could find was Koko Taylor and I had her penciled in and then she, um, died. So ... I'll just play the gig thing by ear I guess.

I am getting into LA lateish on Sunday 26th, got a hotel near the Airport and flying back to Oz midgnightish Monday, so I have a whole day and a bit of an evening. There are things I want to do but I don't drive so I'm a bit restricted that way.
  • let me chx to see what is going on in the millennium park - during the summer they have free concerts by the grant park symphony + it's a great picnic experience...

just chx'd

eh eh - we may be going to this one with the boys: dances and fairy tales - go to grantparkmusicfestival.com and see if that interests you.

let me know if you can swing the lakefront that nite...make sure you get mosquito spray of some kind. srsly.
  • edited July 2009
    Saturday night might be tough, I am getting in that arvo have have to coordinate with my friend and whatnot BUT thanks for that site because I am VERY interested in the Luna Negra and Luciana Souza rehearsals on Tuesday. I really like Souza's album I got at The Other Place.
  • ok - floppy + nankered-eared phledge and nereffid...what are your departure dates to the states???
  • I think Nanker is already here. Four days ago she said she was leaving the next day.

(That's the one thing I have noticed that I would change about this board -- posts aren't dated/timed.)
  • ooof. meant to give her my contact info...nanker, if you x in - e-mail me - you can get it thru my member profile (snicker)
  • I'm arriving tomorrow (Sat)... and will be disappearing. The in-laws have no computer! This is my annual cold-turkey trip.
  • lol - if we hear a story re: emusic 5th ave. hq being burned to a crisp...
  • Nereffid, your disappearance last year -- was it around 3 weeks?
  • Hey Nank

I don't know if its too late to amend your itinerary, but this is a must see event.

Apparently this bar in Orange County (maximum occupancy 49) is at the root of a grass roots festival to get beer drunk one weekend and moon the passing nearby Amtrack train.

The city is trying to shut it down so make sure you have bail money.

You can thank me later
  • Hey all. Yes I am in the States! In Las Vegas right now (here for The Amazing Meeting of the James Randi Educational Foundation.) been too flat out for much music but I did notice Kenny G is playing some dates soon at the Orleans. :-)

To Flagstaff Sunday and Chicago the following Saturday. I'll be in touch closer to the time brittleblood.

JUJ, if only I had know I coulda arranged to be there. Datum! One can only hope it will turn up on YouTube.
  • NankerP! You had one rec for a Sedona side trip from Flagstaff, and here's another. Not Sedona the town & shops, but go up on one of those plateaus and look around.
  • I cannot find your email, brittleblood ... you do not exist at the other place no more.

Anyway, I am in Chicago and Mulgrew Miller is playing this arvo so I might mosey on down there -- I believe Jacked Up Jazz first rec'd him on boards so I have some of his stuff.
  • edited July 2009
    You Go Now!!!

I hate you

I am so elfin jealous

OK calm yourself, deep breath.

I just sent him a message yesterday that if he could get within couple hundred miles of me I would love to come see him perform.

But do understand, he is not some juke joint player made good. He is the sound of jazz right now. He has played with almost everybody who is anybody in jazz. And he has used that ubiquitousness to create the template for modern jazz.

Bring home a playbill or program or something and let me know who is in his group and what songs he plays.
  • If you're still in Chicago and have some time, I suggest checking out the Dusty Groove store for loads of funk, soul and global grooves. I've never been to the store since I haven't been to Chicago since I found out about it, but I used to order CDs from them. Lots of cool stuff.

http://www.dustygroove.com/
  • hmmm - isn't my email linked to my profile???

will brb.
  • yes - just click on my name + it'll take you to my profile...still in town???
  • NP said:
    Thanks brittleblood! That beer would be cool, I am there Saturday July 18th- Tues 22nd, leaving the 23rd for Memphis.
    I guess you sailed past each other like strangers in the night. Too bad. It would have been fun to have a report on the big meeting.
  • edited July 2009
    I rarely leave Dusty Groove without feeling pissed off. I wind up finding ten or more albums that I'd never heard of and look way awesome that I then have to go home and research though I don't know why I bother, because I can't afford to buy them, but I do anyways. What a store that place is. What a music store should be. Plus, it's right next to La Pasadita. And then Reckless Records and Myopic books is right down the street. Not that this matters to me anymore, since I've moved far away from Chicago. At least I have an excellent selection of bourbon to choose from now to drown my music sorrows in.
    Good grief, I made my post all about me, didn't I? What a selfish bastard I am. Another music store to not miss in Chicago is the Jazz Record Mart, just north of the Loop.
  • Yeah, sorry about that. I'm sure that email wasn't showing up when I clicked!

Oh well, when one of y'all comes to Sydney we will do it then instead. ;-)
  • not to worry. i origami'd a nankerp + sat it right alongside me at the bar. we howled. groused and got pissy then i couldn't find you anymore.
  • off to dc - gone for about 8-9 days. will try and hook up with quacky, ptclark + mutex.

anyone have a line on victoriableach???