New World and NWCRI recommendations before it's to late. . .

edited September 2010 in Classical
I've ended up with something like 160 albums out of the 256 available @ Amie and just about all of them are still very cheap.

- So I thought it was about time to mention at least a few of the really great ones:

Vicki Ray: From the Left Edge
- Stunning piano performance of Music by Hartke, Knoles, Dresher, Jarvinen, Crockett & Naidoo.

Ivan Tcherepnin - Flores Musicales / Five Songs / Sant?r Live!

Common Sense: Composer's Collective
Composers: Dan Becker, Ed Harsh, Carolyn Yarnell, John Halle, Marc Mellits, Melissa Hui, Belinda Reynolds, Randall Woolf.

Dan Goble - Freeway
Composers: Charles Ruggerio, Charles Wuorinen, John Harbison, Kevin Jay Isaacs, Miles Davis.

- More to come if I get the time.
Feel free to follow my footsteps.

Comments

• I have been doing the same thing, mostly since I had bits and pieces of the albums from the original drop and I needed to "complete the album" for quite a few titles. I was always going to cash out recs and do that, the impending death of AmieStreet forced me to finish that project.

Am an currently enjoying Peter Tod Lewis. Only $1, five long brooding tracks. There are several Tan Dun albums, although that is not for everyone. I liked Nine Songs. I am not sure how many of the 256 I have, but it is well over half. So far there are only a few head-scratchers, mostly what you would expect in avant-garde 20th century composers.

If the 50% link still exists after payday, I may grab some credit and finish off the set. I'll never have the change again, I expect.
  • - I can't find any 50% link, if it still exists could someone please produce a link ?

- and seconding the Peter Tod Lewis rec.
  • This one is sooooo goooood :

41PCSR8Z67L.jpg
    Matt Moran's Sideshow - Songs of Charles Ives
    John Hollenbeck, drums, percussion, bells, melodica; Oscar Noriega, alto saxophone, bass clarinet; Adam Good, electric guitar & e-bow; Matt Moran, vibraphone
  • Sony 50% Sale, the cookie lasts a week, still goes to the payment page, up to $15 can be spent.
  • Thanks for the pointers, useful in these last days!
  • edited September 2010
    The track Betty Shabazz was composed by Wadada Leo Smith--only 23 cents.

Leroy Jenkin's Themes and Improvisations on the Blues is $1.98.

Ruth Lomon's Songs of Remembrance is $1.70.

@BN: You'll like this one--Barton McLean's Forgotten Shadows for 69 cents.

Not on NWCRI, but Hans Otte's single track Siebengesang is a nice piece of Riley inspired minimalism--34 cents.
  • edited September 2010
    @ Plong42: Thanks for the link.

@ Bad Thoughts: Thanks for the pointers. I grabbed Betty Shabazz (I can't find any linernotes) and the Hans Otte.
    - And yes, I like Barton McLean. - This reminds me of The McLean Mix and the Golden Age of Electronic Music (1.26) - a tad more "out there" but definitely worth grabbing.

@ kargatron: Do check out the Ivan Tcherepnin @ my OP.
  • Just snagged this album by Cuban legend Cachao - link for $2. Still nuggets in them that hills.
  • - Another one, the master of voice samples:
    Paul Lansky: Fantasies and Tableaux
  • edited December 2010
    Fwiw, there was a big New World drop at emu today.

edit: Actually, it may be a re-drop - I know many of them were here already, dunno if that applies to all. Did they leave and then return, or is this just a do-over?
  • I was wondering the same thing. I saw Kamikaze Ground Crew's "The Scenic Route" under new arrivals and was sure they had always had it.
    Wonder what's up with that.
  • edited December 2010
    It has definitely been pulled and re dropped, I can't tell wether there's more than before but it appears so.

I downloaded Robert Ashley's Superior Seven/Tract
    in 2008 (with cover) - Fantastic album BTW.

NWCRI / RoyaltyShare looks pretty much the same but on NWCRI / IODA there's 1 album added a week ago, so maybe something is happening here too ?

Edit: the Robert Ashley was on New World Records / IDEA