How Did You Spend Your New Music Tuesday?

edited October 2010 in General
Poor Amie's dead and gone,
Guvera's shriveled up to a trickle,
Did anybody have any fun yesterday?

I bought UFO's Strangers In The Night (went a dollar cheaper than last week for some reason), and two Robin Trower John Peel sessions EPs from Amazon (EMI is making some money from me via that giveaway). eMu's so screwy on new releases lately I don't bother checking right away, and after all unless somebody screwed up the price ain't changing. There's a new Joe Satriani CD but it's Sony so where is it going to show up at any discount - the CD is the same price as the DL at Amazon this week, so I guess I'll go that way. The hunting is sparse. Oh, the new Raul Malo release is $5 at 7digital - might get that. I am having fun listening to those Guvera goodies though.

Comments

• I wondered why no one was giving me neither free nor cheap music.

Actually, I learned to play a few new songs in my personal studies of music of the Piedmont: Rattlesnakin' Daddy, Red River Blues and Deep River Blues. I also downloaded a Samuel James concernt from Archive.org and streamed Le Noise for the third time (sorry, I don't get the hype). Finally, relaxed and was bored by the mid-season premiere (stop it, SYFY) of Caprica.
  • I found it very disappointing. I have no new music! That's the opposite of what is supposed to happen on New Music Tuesday.

Craig
  • I don't think that I bought anything _new_ but I did get *new* music. Portico Quartet - Isla, James Blackshaw - All Is Falling, Ninja Tune XX: Volume 1 & 2, Mbilia Bel & Seigneur Ley Rochereau & l'Afrisa International - Eswi yo wapi. I seem to spend my eMu credits the moment that I get them. :-S
  • I worked, then took a Pilates class in the evening. Great core work for those of us who sit on our asses all day for a living.

Oh, and DL'd Milt Jackson's Sunflower. Good deal at Amazon with track pricing, and I used my Amie credit. So I did get some free music, hooray!
  • I kept refreshing amiestreet.com, but no matter how many time I hit F5 Amazon kept appearing. Very depressing.

I do need to pick out a few things on eMu and then decide if it's quittin' time or one more month.
  • I'd go one more month at least. See what happens in November.

Craig
  • edited October 2010
    I actually was perusing Internet Archive about a month ago before the Amie situation hit the fan and was being pleasantly surprised at how many bands I like had material on there, some a lot of material, so's I guess I'll go back to that for some free music fixes - just have to find that list I started.... linkie .

I'd hang in there at eMu a little longer just in case.
    I'm just hoping if they're going to drop a big one, it will be not too far into the month of November - I'm hoarding 2 booster packs that expire late Nov.
    Edit - What is a frightening thought however is that with the current search capabilities so totally f**ked over there if there is a new label/group drop and there are any mispriced bargains/boxsets etc. we'll never be able to find them in time.
  • tons of good new titles on emusic these past two weeks, i think.
  • eMusic is my heroin. I'm going to have a very hard time kicking that habit if I have to.
  • For the first time in many months, I'm actually not going to be scrambling to use my downloads before the refresh date. I just haven't been able to spend the time I require to go through their catalog, and with the (gratefully( added bonus DLs, it was a greater challenge. Keep in mind, I only get 35 per month, but my music tastes, specific to emusic, have narrowed so greatly, it makes it tough on me, especially considering the poor shape of their well documented search functionality.

But the find of Tim Collins and his two albums, plus Brian Prinka, Michel Benita, Bill Frisell's Beautiful Dreamers, and happening upon James Clay's album which I hadn't heard in ages, I'm finally ahead of the game. I've got 2 DLs left and I already have plans how to spend them in the absence of some future pressing need. Also, a new release is lined up for next month's DLs, an album which I've been craving for months and was available nowhere, just popped up on emu (I'm still not sure if it's an old album re-released or if was never previously available). And that album led me to another that sounds promising.

But about the emusic habit, if they raise the monthly price anymore, the music selection better be so good I can mainline it, or that's one habit I'll break right quick. There's plenty of Blue Note and Impulse that I wouldn't mind getting, but I already have so much of both it's unlikely to sway me from seeing past the hobbling monthly cost. Money, as they say, is tight.
  • Well, along came Wednesday and some innocent browsing at Amazon led me to a Chess Rockabillies volume of the Bear Family That'll Flat Git It series - ouch, I stepped right into that Bear trap - there were some remarkable performances I have on a cassette somewhere called Chess Rockabillies, and I have a few of the earlier releases in the series, from back when there was this store near work called I think it was uh, Tower Records, and they were all good. It did give me something to add that new Joe Satriani release to so I get free shipping.
  • Well, referring to idle chatter and fond memories on other threads recently, here's a great big Amie St. we miss you!
    Tuesdays aren't the same anymore without you, and the urgency of the hunt is gone.
  • I now spend less of my Tuesdays drinking coffee. Perhaps I'll now live an extra year.
  • edited September 2012
    I'd go one more month at least. See what happens in November.
    Craig, re emusic, a year early but nevertheless it has a prophetic ring. Wonder what they'll devastate this fall?
  • Wonder what they'll devastate this fall?
    I'm waiting for the majors to hit the UK, with album pricing and end of grandfathered plans. Two years ago, Cathy said it would happen "within a year" so two years is about right in their timescale of things. Then I will seriously think about leaving, instead of having the odd month or two on hold