Well that may be the end of eMu for me.

Comments

• people make way too many assumptions one way or the other about how the monies flow

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

"hey, me and seven to ten others have been screaming all day about how unhappy we are. emusic must be hemmoraging customers, if this is any indication!"

it isn't any indication. it wasn't before, when this same group was happy with the service; it isn't now, when they're unhappy with the service. emusic might be on its deathbed, or it might be more financially robust and stable than ever. you can't tell from the message boards.
    I'd still argue that the switch to major labels was the real end of discovery - all the current problems C complains about flowed directly out of that, and were pretty predictable I'd say.

am, love you (metaphorically!), but can't fully agree here. but i've kicked this dead-horse too often, already.
  • Just remember to turn out the lights when you leave Dan'l.

As far as the way they take in money, they used to have a page posted that explained it for potential labels; they took all the monies taken in in a month, divided it by number of tracks sold, then took their percentage from each track before paying out. Of course they could have changed it.

And I have no idea how many customers they have or have lost. They've lost me, then gotten me back with a cheap deal, a whole bunch of times. They'll lose me again soon. Ad infinitum. Ad nauseum.
  • Just remember to turn out the lights when you leave Dan'l.

haha, this may be true. i'd be the last subscriber left, like the lone survivor after a nuclear strike.

"hey, hey guys. anyone downloaded this new not-not-fun comp? it has . . . it has . . . peaking lights on it! wow, ha ha. peaking lights. guys?"
  • not+crazy.jpg

"hee hee. the new PEAKING LIGHTS i say. guys?"
  • Well, at least the place is still working for somebody.

And they'll probably be around way past the trendiness of Peaking Lights. (who I do happen to like).
  • edited June 2012
    The switch to major labels was the beginning of the end for me. The switch from credits to "monies" was the death knell. I can't believe it! I haven't visited the message board in months. I will have to go enjoy the cranky old timer post.

Appalachian woman (Wanderer's attempt at insulting me - HA!)
  • Peaking Lights are a very cool band.
  • In some respects I agree with Daniel - we do not know how typical the message board is, and there may be thousands of satisfied emusic customers out there. But somehow I doubt that is the case. What we do know is that emusic's subscriber base has stayed fairly static over the last five years at a time when the download market has grown enormously. Therefore emusic's market share has gone down, hence their attempts to change their market sector to try and increase this. Whether or not they are now more successful we don't know, but I still have a feeling that the changes over the last six months or so have not helped them.
  • I've always argued that the message board was never representative of the subscriber base, and certainly none of emusic's actions over the past several years have suggested that it was, unless emusic's actual business strategy is to lose subscribers.

Hey, remember around the time of the Sony situation when I pulled all my lists? Turns out I was just unwittingly playing emusic's long game!
  • I think it's more likely that rather than the mood of customers shifting from enthusiastic to dissatisfied, it has shifted from content to resigned. The customer base is more passive than the boards suggest, but still its opinion of the service is inclining toward the negative. It's at least part of the benefits of eMusic's subscription model: it doesn't require one to say yes, but rather not say no.
  • As far as anecdotal evidence goes, I discovered that not only do I have several family members who are with emu, but someone I work with and one person I volunteer with. Almost none of them even knew the forum existed, and none of them had strong feelings about the site, either enthusiastic or disappointed.

For most people, I'm guessing, it's just some online store they get some music from cheaper than amazon and itunes. They don't view it as a club or a tool for music discovery or a place to while away the hours. It's just an online store.
  • But in that regard, it is a truly frustrating store that is only open when they decide to take your money. Like going to the bodega when you want something to drink and the owner says, "No, not today. I'll take your money next Tuesday!"
  • For most people, I'm guessing, it's just some online store they get some music from cheaper than amazon and itunes.

Added to which I would hazard the proposition that most of the subscribers probably aren't music obsessed maniacs/music junkies or whatever you deem to call it that some here and many disgruntled MB posters might be. Except for the Hey I'm Getting Ripped Off/This Site Sux type posts, it takes a substantial amount of interest in music in the first place to get that worked up about the direction of a download site.
  • edited June 2012
    it takes a substantial amount of interest in music in the first place to get that worked up about the direction of a download site.

emusic message board contributor:

mad-as-hell.jpg

guess which one.
  • Is his name also the name for a guy that drives a white jeep with blue stripes five days a week?
  • he always rings -- and complains -- twice.
  • edited June 2012
    I will say though Emu's approach to addressing complaints on the board is erratic. I noticed one person had an odd request that they wanted contemporary jazz, but didn't know where to get any that was about $6 or less per album. No old jazz please. An eMu person responded to him on there.

Guess he doesn't read 17 dots?
  • edited June 2012
    The erraticness is what most easily sucks me into getting annoyed with emusic on the board over there. There are brief phases when they answer questions, volunteer information, sound helpful, and then the next question you ask they will just ignore for weeks and weeks while replying to posts either side of it (this thread of mine has been like pulling teeth).
  • @GP: I've noticed that too, as much as I go to the boards there anymore. They used to do a great job of answering questions about upcoming releases. Now they rarely do. Maybe they're better on Twitter with this too?

BTW I couldn't get your link to work above.
  • It was a Link to my thread asking about Yeti Lane. Not worth trying to make it work. Mods are studiously ignoring it.
  • Okay, np. You should enjoy Australia instead.
  • I have gone on hold again for another few months, nothing changes there and I am bored with the company now. I gave them over 6 months to sort it out and nothing doing. I am looking forward to spending my monies elsewhere
  • Yes, I will too. I left it too late to put on hold for this month - I struggled to find things to download yesterday, before refresh today. So I'll make sure I do it early enough next time.
  • edited June 2012
    Emu has just dropped 10 euros in my account, for unknown reasons.
  • edited June 2012
    Dammit, I gotta get over there and complain about something

eta, I take it back, I got it too! Shweet. It is tagged a "courtesy credit" and expires July 1, which is Sunday.
  • Oh, go over there and complain anyway!

It is fun.
  • Dear Paz, (my wife's name)

I'd like to personally thank you for being a valued eMusic member. As a token of appreciation, we've added a $10 credit to your account. This credit is available now and valid through June 30, 2012.
    I would rather have 10 euros, but I'm not complaining.
  • I received the email as well, but I'm not currently a subscriber. I'm conflicted about reactivating my account to get the bonus.
  • I got £10 credit, even though the email says $10; my £10 works out around $13 to 14. I assume it will come off first, so that is 24 tracks or a couple of albums. I'll stop complaining about emusic for a day or two! Now to look at my SFL...
  • Ooh, yummy, I've still got 2 accounts, so that's 40 tracks.
    And I think the leftover €0.20 in each one will bump up my "loose change", so there's another 2 tracks!

Thank you, emusic, for having such a shit site that you feel the need to apologise with monies.