All dressed up and no place to go

Well November sneaked up on me but here we are. Monetary pricing will soon be upon us but I don't know what to do. Burn up my 30 DLs before the new regime arrives or wait and see if the new dawn brings new music.

I am not upset with them over monetary pricing per se, however, I am a little concerned that the deal keeps changing and we keep having price increases in a deflationary/recessionary economic environment. But they are entitled to run their business as they see fit, even if their business model apparently includes pissing off the majority of their customers every 18 months or so.

I do know that my wish list at Amazon is starting to get bigger. And I only add stuff to my wish list if the the place which shall not be spoken does not have it in stock.

Why doesn't the other place have this or this or this

So with the coming of monetary pricing comes a re-evaluation. And if my subscription can only be exchanged for rubles and not dollars I will have to begin to question why I am paying for something I cannot use. I can take my cash and exchange it for music I actually want to listen to at Amazon or use it to buy rubles and get in line and hope I can buy toilet paper.

So what should I do burn my DLs now or stick with the folks that have proven that they have no concerns about selling me down the river.

Comments

• Burn the DLs now. They'll be worth a lot less soon.
  • edited October 2010
    I look at it this way - I have no control over the river. My only concern is what I can buy on the river. I have too many worthy things on my oversized SFL raft, which I am trying to winnow down, to get off the river yet. It remains to be seen how the changes/additions affect that.
    Since Amie folded I am actually spending more on music - more on actual CD's than in a while, some on digital (although this must be balanced against not being out there hunting for crack cards). Some of this I blame on Guvera and its bag of freebies which has, perversely, led me to flesh out a few artists portfolios in my collection that they stimulated. I fear The Universal catalog will have a similar effect on me. My only defense is that my recent additions are things I'm pretty excited about, so we'll see.
    I'm for burning now, seeing later.
  • I'm holding onto four. I can't think of anything to get off the top of my head. I'm also still thinking of a booster, which should appreciate in value with the regime change.
  • The danger with relying on the credit-to-dollar appreciation is that your dollar's overall buying power could effectively decline with the price increase.

In the end, however, any potential loss of buying power will not be terribly hobbling in the initial month. It's the cumulative effect of the price increase over time on a subscription model where the pain is going to be felt.

Me, after my last 17 dls, I'm done. That place has got me fatigued. If I have to spend this much time strategizing against vaguely stated company changes, that's energy that could be better spent elsewhere.
  • edited October 2010
    The danger with relying on the credit-to-dollar appreciation is that your dollar's overall buying power could effectively decline with the price increase.

In the end, however, any potential loss of buying power will not be terribly hobbling in the initial month. It's the cumulative effect of the price increase over time on a subscription model where the pain is going to be felt.
    I'm certainly aware of the dangers. I burned off as many as my regular credits as I could, leaving just four. I might just get the first Taj Mahal (combining with credits from elsewhere).

My thinking about the booster is that they will be valued at 60 cents, but can be bought as low as 50. I'm anticipating that errors will creep into the initial dump, and there may be mispriced bargains to be had. I could wait to see how the drop unfolds, but I'm attracted to the idea that my buying power would have a little extra oomph.
  • Yes, there is the errors aspect.
    I wish I had been more vigilant about that with the Sony drop. That would be a good reason to be armed with a bunch of downloads.
    I guess I'm not counting on it happening, and if it did, I'm not at all certain I'd be able to jump on those "deals" while they lasted.
    Again, more strategizing. I hope some of you are able to take advantage.
  • Yeah jonahpwll

I think you are right. If you have the time and energy to strategize it can be a fun game.

But I don't and I am going to be even more pissed off if everybody else gets in on the deal and I miss out because I was too busy with the real world.