3. Perfume Genius - Learning
4. Sufjan Stevens - All Delighted People
5. Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
6. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt
7. Beach House - Teen Dream
8. Dirty Projectors/Bjork - Mount Wittenberg Orca
9. Fences - Fences
10. White Hinterland - Kairos

Honorable mentions: Band of Horses, Ra Ra Riot, Damien Jurado, of Montreal, and Les Savy Fav

2010 was a fantastic music year, in my book. I can hardly believe Damien Jurado didn't make the top ten. He's one of my favorite songwriters (and my Seattle-bias is very high). While I've liked previous records from both Sufjan and the National more than these current ones, I think they are both a step forward and love seeing growth from two of my all-time favorite artists. I had a very difficult time picking one I liked more than the other. I might change my mind eventually... Add strong new work from Joanna Newsom, Tallest Man, and Dirty Projectors, along with a new find (and possible future all-time favorite) in Perfume Genius (has anyone else fallen in love with Learning like I have) and this is one of my favorite years of my life. The only other things I could have asked for was new releases from Bon Iver and Over the Rhine and a few stronger local releases (but the Universe had to save something for 2011).

I'll add some more thoughts on these records later...

Comments

• Some interesting choices, never heard of Perfume Genius or Fences and never actually heard Tallest Man.
    I'll have to start trying to come up with a top 10 myself soon.

As for Bon Iver, have you heard the S. Carey album? He's one of the guys in the band and the album is kind of in the same ballpark. Good stuff!
  • Interesting. I haven't heard any of your top ten or four of the five honorable mentions (only Les Savy Fav, which I like). There goes my indie cred.
  • As for Bon Iver, have you heard the S. Carey album? He's one of the guys in the band and the album is kind of in the same ballpark. Good stuff!

Damn, I meant to rec this album to you guys a long time ago. I heard it while wandering around the NPR First Listen site. I thought it was okay, but it also was nothing like I'm interested in these days, but I figured a few people here might really like it. I'm glad you brought it up. It's worth giving a listen to.
  • I did really like that S. Carey album, but then I saw them live. It was really pretty, but kind of boring. Haven't listened to the album since. Bon Iver was so fantastic live; my expectations may have been too high.

Perfume Genius is fantastic. It's pretty much just a clunky piano and his haunting vocals. It's honest and sad and beautiful. I kind of liken it to Sufjan, if he forgot to bring his orchestra and had a really hard life.

I hope everyone posts their top ten lists. I've found that I've been so distracted by eMusic's drama and how to acquire music cheaply that I haven't actually talked about music enough lately.
  • edited November 2010
    And oh yeah, I made this list before buying the Deerhunter album (which I plan to get during Amazon's Black Friday sale). I know a bunch of people are loving it. What are y'all's thoughts? (Did I just say "y'all's"? You'd never know I am from the Pacific Northwest... For shame.)
  • I saw you mention White Hinterland in Craig's thread, too. I was curious about them, but haven't given them enough of a chance. Part of me wanted to not be interested in Deerhunter, but I broke down and got from eMu. Pretty damn good for such a subtle album.

I'll definitely be posting mine, but it'll be 20. I just can't bring myself to stop at 10. Should be done next week.
  • 2010 was a fantastic music year, in my book

in my book, too. my singles list will be much more interesting and diverse than my albums list (which will be plenty diverse itself, i think). aside from the towering achievement that is kanye west's new disc, there's a ton of really good, interesting little stuff happening all around, e.g., dirty beaches' 10s noise/50s surf rock noir combination; minks' updated cure sound; soft moon's steel-y new wave; nerve city's rumbling thunderclouds of noise pop; autre ne veut's funhouse version of 80s r&b; how to dress well's burial-ish version of 80s r&b; james blake's forward-thinking electronic music; black mountain's retro-rock; cosmetics' druggy dance vibe; nebraska's dry, austere dance music; purling hiss' druggy, submerged, heavy-eyelid 70s classic rock; sleigh bells' cheerleader-punk; much more.
  • I'm not terribly in love with Kanye's record. I feel left out.
  • don't. there are others who don't like it. they don't like his lyrics, the way he leans into certain phrases, the thin and poor quality of his voice, and so forth. i think this disc is brilliant, but ymmv.
  • the thin and poor quality of (Kanye's) voice
    Don't forget his terrible rapping and flow. Great producer though. I've enjoyed what I've heard of the new one, but not enough to really get on board.
  • oh man. i think it lives up to every bit of the hype. and runaway remains a stunner every single time i hear it.

i don't think he's as bad a rapper as people say, but he's clearly inferior to some of the guests on the disc, e.g., raekwon.
  • I do think the production is masterful. The beats are something new. Justin Vernon does a great job. Kanye's rapping, for me, is the weak link. And his words. I'm not connecting, for some reason.
  • If anyone cares:

My favorite shows of 2010:
    1. The National (with Okkervil River) at Marymoor Park
    2. Sufjan Stevens (with DM Stith) at the Paramount
    3. The Antlers (with Phantogram) at Neumos
    4. Dirty Projectors at the Showbox Market
    5. The Tacoma Round, with the Maldives, Noah Gunderson, Kaylee Cole, and Goldfinch
  • edited November 2010
    Still working, but my 1 and 2 (for now, but it's not likely to change) are very different: Janelle Monae and Roky Erickson w Okkervil River. To my knowledge I've never heard a single song by Kanye West.

Edit: OK, I went over to amazon and listened to the samples for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Some of it sounded much more like music than I expected, but I don't think I'll spend $3.99 on it.