Magnatune

edited December 2010 in General
I do not know if anyone else uses this service, but I have enjoyed the site and want to share my love here. The model is simple: you pay $15 a month, download as much as you want in whatever quality you want including FLAC. The artists are paid 50% of proceeds, not labels. You can give away up to three copies to friends legally and they have streaming.

The main drawback of the site is obvious, they have a limited selection and they are all artists who are releasing their music through Magnatune. You would think the result is a train-wreck of AmieStreet level garbage, but there seems to be a fairly high level of control from Magnatune to keep the riff-raff out. While a dedicated eMuser could probably get all they were going want from Magnatune in a month, there is a steady trickle of new music which keeps my interest. There are some very good world and classical genre artists, perhaps some of the electronic / ambient is worth checking out.

Here's a highlight from their classical section:

dufay_new_group.jpg

The Dufay Collective has been performing and recording its unique brand of early music since 1987. During this time the group has performed at major festivals and toured throughout the world, receiving critical acclaim from Cairo to Carlisle. The group has made a series of highly successful recordings of a wide-ranging repertoire of instrumental and vocal music from the Middle Ages and Renaissance, including the Grammy nominated 'Cancionero'.

Comments

• Here is a highlight from the World section, a haunting recording of solo dilruba.

gopal.jpg

Gopal "This album is the natural sound of the dilruba (an Indian instrument which is a cross of the sitar and sarangi) recorded in a temple without any processing. The only accompaniment is the occasional sounds of the morning birds. Many people listen to this music for relaxation, meditation, soft movement, healing sessions and it is also music that can be listened to while falling asleep."

"This music was recorded in an old abandoned temple near the ocean in India. Gopal played this rare multi stringed bowed instrument in that temple at sunrise, without any intention of the music becoming a solo album. There was a beautiful empty silence in the temple and a feeling of letting go and disappearing into the music."
  • Guy I work with pretty much gets all his music through Magnatune; between his rec and yours I'm going to have to take the time to dig a little deeper. Thanks!
  • Thanks for the reminder. While you definitely need a little new age edge to your musical appreciation, they do find talented artists and their compilations give easy access to musical exploring. Obviously worth fifteen dollars.
  • Thanks for mentioning it. I've never heard of it before.
  • The only reason I never tried Magnatune in the past was some confusion over whether or not you could really d/l anything/everything for 15 bucks. Then I forgot about it.

Seems like it might be a good time to check it out soon since I won't have any other monthlies going on (after this month). That would give me more time to actually explore the site - especially if you guys dole out some more recs (hint hint).
  • One of my favorite in the medeival classical category, but then I am a sucker for hurdy-gurdy music.

cover_160.jpg

Misericordia: "sickeningly good Medieval." Music and song from the dark and troubled fourteenth century. From the rhythmic drive of bagpipes, hurdy gurdy and percussion to haunting three part polyphony via solo voice accompanied by gothic harp, this recording includes complex instrumental istampitas, love songs by Guillaume de Machaut and music from England, France and Italy.
  • Jere is a favorite with a Middle-Eastern flavor, from the "world" category.

kara.jpg

Kara Nomadica - Kara Nomadica is a fusion of ancient and exotic instruments from the Middle-East, North Africa, Australia and modern western music. Kara Nomadica captures a fresh new sound that is driven by traditional Arabic and Turkish rhythms and maqamat (micro-tonal scales).

Kara Nomadica on YouTube
  • After discarding Mtracks for a few months in favor of Magnatune, I really dig it. The type of music is quite limited, no matter how diverse they make their genres sound, and some of the music is a cliche of a cliche, especially for new age. But I like giving them forty five bucks for three months to go through their catalog. And FLAC is great, given you got the goodies to take advantage of the high quality sound.

The space in music they best explore is slightly dark ambient that prevents their new agism from dominating, but allows some terrific, thoughtful headphone music to happen. Just after one listen, I like both of these.

Jesus in Japan
    Mystified
  • edited December 2010
    cover_160.jpg

Ensemble Al-Asdeka. Another Middle Eastern artist: "Founded in 2005 by tabla-player Kathy Roberts after years of living off and on in North Africa with versatile guitarist and composer, D. Adam Estner, and Daniel Giacobazzi, a long-time artist of many instruments and genres;, the ensemble churns out hip shaking tunes that are greater Middle-Eastern in flavor, seasoned with rock and jazz influences."
  • Here's a bit of Magnatune Propoganda:
    We decided to pay our musicians a few weeks early, so they could get their checks before Christmas. This was the first payment they've received since our big growth in membership and a lot of musicians were very pleasantly surprised. You may have read about how Lady Gaga was #1 for the year on the music service "Spotify" and was paid just $167. http://tinyurl.com/y49mdm8 Well, Magnatune is a *lot* smaller than Spotify and we just paid out $75,000 (with our top musicians getting thousands of dollars). You can understand why our musicians were happily surprised to see Magnatune's new business direction actually paying them fairly.
  • a lot of musicians were very pleasantly surprised.
    What good news for them!
  • canz has messidg bordz?
  • Here's my recs after going through much of their catalog. The negative is clearly too much new age nothing blah blah blah music, but there's some cool medieval recordings, a few decent ambient albums, some classical worth having, and some music of the Isles. I highly recommend doing the three month membership for 45 bucks. There's also a ton of Robert Rich stuff.

Bezdin Ensemble
    Adina Spire
    Jesus in Japan
    Gopal
    Dufay Collective
    Mystified (A Pale... is my only rec though)
    Shira Kammen
    Stellamara
    Lara St. John
    Diometrix (surprisingly post rock)
    Vox Nostra
    Misericordia
    Fortune's Wheel
    Musica Pacifica
    Robert Rich

I downloaded I think 26 but 23 are keepers. I'll plan at some point to rejoin. Sorry for now bbcode - three year old duty.
  • Time to revive this thread and wave the Magnatune flag.

I still use Magnatune, usually grabbing ten or twelve new albums a month. You can pay $15 a month to download all you want, or less to stream. They do about five or six new albums a week in a variety of genre. I find that the classical, new age and world material is excellent, although I stick mostly to classical. Here a couple I have enjoyed recently:

Altri Stromenti, a 17th century baroque ensemble. They have two on Magnatune, and Uccellini, a more recent Italian Music of the 17th Century. The ensemble is led by Leszek Firek, who graduated in the violin class of doc. Stefan Czermak of the Wroclaw Music Academy. He also studies baroque violin for two years at the Cracow Music Academy under the guidance of Zygmunt Kaczmarski.

Jennifer Lane, with the University of North Texas Collegium: rare cantatas and arias by Handel. This stunning new album with mezzo-soprano Jennifer Lane commemorates the 250th anniversary of George Frideric Handel's passing (1685-1759). It contains lesser known vocal and instrumental gems from throughout Handel's career.

Richard MacKenzie, Il Rosetto, Domenico Bianchini's Lute Book (1546). Solo lute, and simply lovely. "Domenico Bianchini (c1510-c1576) was born into a family of famous Venetian mosaic artists, and, judging by his nickname, 'Il Rossetto', he must have possessed a head of striking red hair, similar to the famous Venetian composer of the early 18th century, Antonio Vivaldi."
  • I'm listening to "Uccellini" by Altri Stromenti and enjoying it. Thanks, I will consider trying the paid version.
  • Wow, is it just those seventy albums filed under Jazz? That seems less than last time I stopped in there 1.5 years ago. What's weird is I know every now and then I'm on a musician site and see Magnatune listed. Of course, that could mean that they're no longer on Magnatune but just haven't changed their website yet to reflect it.

The only ones up there I recognize on sight (and would recommend) are the Eyot, Dejan Ilijic (a member of Eyot), and Park St. Trio.

Eyot and Park St Trio are both former AAJ dotds. Some of you who used Magnatune a couple years back probably already has the Eyot. I feel like I rec'd it previously in reference to Magnatune. Ilijic may not have been on Magnatune back then. Park St. Trio definitely wasn't. It's a nice trio album that would've been an eMu Jazz Pick had I been writing the column back then (as would the Eyot, actually. I haven't listened to the Ilijic yet).

Cheers.
  • Free Song of the Day from Magnatune. This is how I originally got into the site, I let the free downloads pile up directory and one day listened through them. The classical was good, I have a hard time getting into some of the indie rock they have. Jazz does seem to the their least interesting category, there are 300+ artists in classical, many with multiple albums.
  • I just supposedly rejoined them, but was never charged, and they haven't had any new releases in well over a month. While I enjoy downloading free music, does anyone know what's happening with this site?
  • I don't. But I do still occasionally see new releases in the jazz listings that have Magnatune as the distribution service (as opposed The Orchard, etc), so they must have some life to them, yet.
  • Sort, it looks like there is a Magatune blog, but that doesn't directly answer your question.
  • I noticed the lack of emails from Magnatune, I used to get a new released email every week, but nothing in the last month? Six weeks? The last blog entry was 11/30. I hope they are going to survive, I have a great deal of good music (classical, renaissance, world) from them!
  • Magnatune is back after a seven week hiatus blamed on bad mushrooms. Indeed. One would have expected more psychedelic if that were really the case.
  • Well that is quite a new reason for a music website. Emusic could learn a thing or two. ;)
  • I just managed to read about wild mushrooms taking down a large music label. Amazing really, that so much of these labels are homeschooled. I tend to remove the human element - not from the music or the artist - but from the labels themselves. Glad he's alive and tweaking the site again, let alone having some new music. Every time I join, I do find some great stuff in the back catalog.
  • I am not sure how this thread got bumped to the top again, but let me take the opportunity to point out Magnatune has come out of a period of dormancy and is putting out five or six albums a week again. the same general mix of things, the classical I have downloaded from them has always been good. 

On the other hand, they have also caught up on their subscriptions. I had not paid in a very long time, but the freebie days are over. 
  • I actually insisted on paying this time around. It was actually difficult when I joined in December - not exactly great business model. I usually join for the three month membership once a year, but this past year was paltry. And last year I joined and only noticed after I had quit that I hadn't paid for my membership.

If you haven't, there's some excellent albums within their back catalog. I have over two hundred albums - you do have to wade through some rather trite, cliche new age, snooze rock, souless electronica.
  • I think I have dloaded classical and world music almost exclusively. The renaissance / early music selections are quite good, but then again I do not have a discerning mind for such things.