psychedelic pop appreciation thread

124»

Comments

• Looks like a collection of live tracks, most of them probably bootlegged. Besides, I would consider most of that stuff "prog rock," not "space rock." Maybe some "Krautrock" in there too, but it has little to do with what's usually considered psychedelic, IMO.

Call me condescending... Just don't call me "Condoleeza."
  • kezkez
    edited April 2011
    61diBmyCT9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    amazon link

I love, love, love this band's newer albums but this 1973 album shows some pretty good progressive psychedelic rock - especially the tracks "Heartfeeder," "Night Club," and "Sold Down the River." They were completely unknown to me in the 1970's, but this oldie sounds pretty good even today to me.
  • kezkez
    edited April 2011
    300x300.jpg]
    emusic link

Try some psychedelia with a Greek twist. This is a really good album.
    “Ol’ Tim Leary woulda’ LUVVED this worldbeat/folk adventure! Kristi sings in Greek, but you’d think you were at an “Airplane” concert (with slightly more emphasis on th’ percussion than Grace Slick might’ve had). This is NOT the (dreaded) sloppy techno-rawk it could have been… it doesn’t sound (in the least) like low-end cut/paste electronics, & that’s a LARGE plus for the listener…/…there are some very clearly psychedelic influences that take me (in a FLASH, mon’) back to some wild concert nights in th’ ‘60s!…/…you’ll get LOST in the echoes, floatin’ off on a Persian carpet into la-la land…/…The CD definitely rates a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED from this reviewer.” (Rotcod Zzaj, IMPROVIJAZZATION NATION, issue # 49).

Kristi Stassinopoulou website
  • Was doing a little Japanese Group Sounds browsing that led to this item - Silver Monk Time - which is a Monks tribute album. I haven't been able to decide whether I actually like the original Monks, although I find them interesting, so this will take some pondering as well, but it sure is off the beaten trail.
  • edited June 2011
    Flowers%20In%20The%20Rain%20Single%20Sleeve%20German.jpg wd09-05-69.jpg
  • I'd virtually forgotten The Move, Brighternow. Infamously they were the first artists to be played on Radio 1 in the UK - the first national 'pop' radio station in the late 1960s - it might have been Flowers in the Rain
  • Indeed, "Blackberry Way" is considered to be one of the main inspirations for the Dukes of Stratosphear's song "Collideascope." So naturally that gives it an extremely high degree of cultural importance in the Scissorman Universe.
  • edited May 2014
    a2921688953_2.jpg
    The Rare Plants Garden - S/T - (12rec - 2011)

- A review from The Archive:
    "What a hidden gem of an album this is. It’s six songs of mellow, psychedelic pop with just enough weirdness to keep you interested. The band’s press info references chillwave and Damon Albarn, but you could just as easily point to alternate touchstones like The Free Design and, say, Caribou. There’s a lot going on in these laid-back tracks: chimes, xylophones, accordions, not to mention enough horns and serious bass groove to make Quincy Jones proud. That doesn’t mean that synthesizers and sampled beats are left to the wayside, either. I’m honestly baffled that this ep hasn’t exploded all over the Internet Music Blog Consortium; it’s catchy as hell and there’s lots here for everyone to like."
  • edited August 2011
    strawberry-alarm-clock-incense-and-peppermints.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1303337537067

ETA:
    Oooops, allready posted by selfrisinmojo . . .
  • edited April 2012
    - The REAL Nirvana:

54654-61e7.jpg - 1968
    :-)
  • Thanks for the reminder BN, I'd forgotten this version of Walk Away Renee - much better, IMO, than the Four Tops version that was a hit in the UK.
  • edited June 2012
    From 1980 with a very young Julian Cope:

51jNtzSXPLL._SS500_.jpg
    The Teardrop Explodes
    - were an English post-punk/neo-psychedelic band formed in Liverpool in 1978. Best known for their Top Ten UK single "Reward" (which is still a staple of 1980s alternative pop compilations), the group originated as a key band in the emerging Liverpool post-punk scene of the late 1970s, the group also launched the career of group frontman Julian Cope as well as that of keyboard player and co-manager David Balfe (later a record producer, A&R man and the founder of Food Records). Other members included later Smiths producer Troy Tate.

Along with other contemporary Liverpudlian groups, The Teardrop Explodes played a role in returning psychedelic elements to mainstream British rock and pop, initially favouring a lightly psychedelic West Coast beat-group sound (sometimes described as "bubblegum trance"[1]) and later exploring more experimental areas. In addition to their musical reputation, the band (and Cope in particular) had a reputation for eccentric pronouncements and behaviour, sometimes verging on the self-destructive.[citation needed] These featured strongly in contemporary press accounts and were later expanded on in Cope’s 1993 memoir Head On.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Teardrop_Explodes
    - And the Youtube thing:
    Poppies In The Field - When I Dream

ETA: Prompted by Lowlife: Reward
  • artworks-000018958966-s1y3h4-crop.jpg?4b4189b
    The Outskirts Of Infinity....Desdemona.
  • Came across this on Bandcamp, fits the bill

2696627187-1.jpg
  • edited September 2012
    The Inaugaral Progressive Music Awards were held last night. I'm not surprised it has taken so long to organise, given the length of many tracks!
  • edited October 2018
    4_9237.jpg
  • edited May 2014
    cream-nsu-polydor-2.jpg
    NSU

- I miss selfrisinmojo who started this thread . . . There was so many great posts from him (her ?)
    - Last seen Jan 27th 2011

- If you are out there lurking, pop in and say hello . . .
  • edited May 2014
    a2083629064_2.jpg

Jib Kidder - "Dreams Inside of Dreams"

Inexplicably, this thing got filed under Jazz. That was almost exactly two years ago. I've never forgotten it.

On Bandcamp... http://jibkidder.bandcamp.com/album/dreams-inside-of-dreams
  • edited February 2015
    Going local with a great Danish neo psychedelia band:

300x300.jpg
    Spids Nøgenhat - Den Gennemsigtige Mand @ Youtube (The Transparent Man)

Spids Nøgenhat - Den Gennemsigtige Mand LIVE @ P6 BEAT Rocker Koncerthuset

Which is an awesome coverversion of a song by one of the most significant rock poets in Danish music history, the late Hans Vinding. (Furekaaben, Hyldemor)
    Hyldemor - Den Gennemsigtige Mand

-
  • Good band. If you like that kind of thing,
    there's always this UK band who's influenced
    by bands like them and Dragontears,
    Pandemonica/Baby Woodrose, a.o.

The Locked Ward - Voyages Into The Inner Psych Of...

MlEzlKG.jpg?1

---
    Now playing: Girma Wolde Michael - Wetatwa
  • apl045cover.jpg
    Segue - Synesthesia
  • Mercury Rev - The Funny Bird

• Syd Arthur mixed by The Future Sound of London- A Monster Psychedelic Bubble

• edited June 2015
    ^^^^