What are you listening to right now? (Twenty Million Things [We'd Like to Do when COVID is over])

Comments

• Califone

2004                Heron King Blues                         2006                  Roots & Crowns

• Another one presumably from my Cantaloupe sub. Confusingly marked in my collection as private as if withdrawn from sale - but it is still on the artist's page. Anyone noticed this before?
  • edited February 2021
    djh said:

Another one presumably from my Cantaloupe sub. Confusingly marked in my collection as private as if withdrawn from sale - but it is still on the artist's page. Anyone noticed this before?
    No, I haven't seen anything like this
    - I bought it back in 2013 from Emusic, when Cantaloupe was still there.
    It was a part of the subs. It must have been taken out of the Cantaloupe catalogue.

- Having a look at:
    - and listening to one of Planet Mu owner, Mike Paradinas groundbreaking albums:
    Mike Paradinas has been a pioneer and a mainstay of the electronic music scene for over 20 years now and 'Chewed Corners' is his first proper solo album since 2007. As the boss of electronic label Planet Mu, he’s always been at the forefront of innovations and has released music by some of the most celebrated modern electronic artists around, from Benga, Kuedo and Machinedrum to Luke Vibert, Venetian Snares and FaltyDL, to name just a few. Mike started both his career and µ-Ziq with the album ‘Tango N'Vectif’ back in 1993 which elevated him to the top of the league of British electronica producers alongside Black Dog and Aphex Twin. He has also been one of the few people to collaborate with Aphex Twin on the album ‘Mike & Rich’ and has released albums on Virgin, Astralwerks, Warp and Rephlex before releasing music on his own label.

• (NYOP, field recordings)
    Roundstone by Lewis Gilbert
    From the description for track 4:
    20 meters or so from the barn, here was a gate leading down to a white beach and this harmonic whistling sound. The Atlantic wind blew through holes in the rustic pipes of the gate, creating these dissonant notes. This was quickly termed ‘The Musical Gate’ by the crew

• The Weather Station - Ignorance. Great album really enjoying this.
  • GájanasČihkkojuvvon

Prog Joik ... and that's no Joik!

Joik is a long-practiced musical tradition in Sápmi, a largely subarctic region spanning Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Russia. It stems from the indigenous Sámi people’s spiritual customs, conjuring images of the world through typically wordless vocables. Once condemned as heretical by local regimes of Christianization, joik today is a symbol of anti-colonial resistance as well as a continuation of tradition. It has also found a place in the popular sphere, located in Eurovision songs, the soundtrack of Disney’s Frozen, and the broad Fennoscandian folk music revival scene, where artists like Mari Boine, Wimme Saari, and even metal band Korpiklaani number among a wide range of informal joik ambassadors to the listening world.

Prog rock has a somewhat less ancient history, but it tends to be a mainstay of the Nordics. Hailing from Inari and Utsjoki in the far north of Finland, four-piece band Gájanas (Northern Sámi for “echo”) combine both. Already known for winning second place at the Sámi Grand Prix in 2016 and being Kaustinen Folk Festival’s band of the year in 2017, they now bring us brilliant full-length debut Čihkkojuvvon. Consisting of Hildá Länsman (daughter of famed joik singer and Sámi activist Ulla Pirttijärvi-Länsman) on vocals, Nicholas Francett on cello and guitar, his brother Kevin Francett on drums, and Erkki Feodoroff on bass, Gájanas are firmly planted in a dynamic present. Länsman alternates between song, joik, and other skillful manipulations of the breath, her arresting voice continually building from lullaby-soft to gale-force atop tightly-bound roots of powerful accompaniment from the rest of the band.

Balance is key to the success of Čihkkojuvvon’s sonic explorations. Cosmic opening track “Almmi dolat” makes space for heavy instrumental solos interspersed between Länsman’s melismatic tributes to night skies and northern lights. When voice and electric guitar finally meet the song’s climactic final minutes after so long weaving around one another, it is fantastically satisfying. Later on, “Hušša sisa” is similarly polarized, with Länsman’s wails soaring over dark, driving cello tracks. Fundamental to “Dollagaccat” are strata of droning strings, a steady backdrop to Länsman’s rhythmic gasps and near-growls.
    Interlude “Bieggagaikkohat” follows, with cymbals brushed into echoes of wind and Länsman’s lone voice sublime over legato strings that quickly turn sharp in following single “Diamántadulvvit”. “Čihkkojuvvon” and “Geažehis áhpi” draw on incredibly complex melodic structures. The album ends with “Vuolgge muinna” and its buoyant bassline, lifted into upbeat territory with warm sax lines that make an interesting counterpoint to some of the album’s most spirited guitar moments.

Prog joik is a fairly novel idea and one that offers a wide range of promising directions. Gájanas are not resting on the fleeting strength of novelty so much as they are taking untrodden paths. The journeys the group traces on Čihkkojuvvon — a title that appropriately means “hidden” — are evocative and organic. Gájanas moves through moments of serenity and ferocity with equal purpose, making music with many layers of possible meaning swirling beneath an already vibrant surface of richly textured sound.
    Fresh and unyielding, Čihkkojuvvon presents Gájanas as a band both youthful and well-informed by their cultural forebears. It’s no secret that joik and rock make for a versatile combination — look at Jonne Järvelä’s career — but Gájanas are still unique, their skill potent as they create modern Sámi music. Čihkkojuvvon is a strong and vital debut and Gájanas a group to watch closely. — PopMatters

• edited February 2021
  • Some Bluegrass to start this morning...
    Cadillac Sky

2008                         Gravity's Our Enemy
  • edited February 2021
    Ghédalia Tazartès - 5 Rimbaud 1 Verlaine

Ghédalia Tazartes sent 4 tracks in 1999 to Erratum Musical, two were released on Erratum#3, and two were unreleased. Here are the 4 tracks.
    RIP dear Ghédalia, bon voyage!!
    Release date:
    9 February 2021
  • Caitlin Cary & Thad Cockrell 

2005                            Begonias 
  • Calvin, Don't Jump!

1999            Crystal Clear Mississippi                   2001                A Way With Birds
  • Camel

1973                        Camel                                  1974                         Mirage
                                                                                  Reissue 2002   archive.org

1976                 Moonmadness
  • Out-rock duo from Portugal, featuring Claudio Fernandes on guitar and Ricardo Martins on drums.
    Cangarra

2011                            A                                       2011                          B

2011                            C                                       2013                           D
    All Free at Bandcamp
  • Caia

2003                           The Magic Dragon
  • edited February 2021
    Kartel Music Group 2016

'SORROW', led by Stetson, is a reimagining of Henryk Górecki's most famous piece, performed by a 12-piece band including Arcade Fire's Sarah Neufeld, Saltland's Rebecca Foon, Greg Fox of Liturgy, Megan Stetson and more and recorded in 2015 in Brooklyn, New York.

“We all have those moments when we experience a piece of music that transforms us, and this was one of those moments for me," says Stetson. "Over the years, I went on to listen to this record countless times, always determined to absorb every instance of it, to know it throughout and fully. And this dedication to a thorough knowledge of the piece eventually gave way to a need to perform it."

"The concept was simple, and true to the original score. I haven’t changed existing notation, but rather have worked with altering instrumentation, utilizing a group consisting heavily of woodwinds, synthesizers, and electric guitars... The arrangement draws heavily from the world of black metal, early electronic music, and from my own body of solo saxophone music. The result is an intact rendition of Henryk Górecki’s 3rd Symphony, though one which has been filtered through the lens of my particular musical aesthetic and experience.”

• httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-oFw3Tqcn3vAa-0-t500x500jpg
    Released by: Synesthesia Media
    Release date: 12 February 2021
  • Link goes to Bandcamp, but you can hear the whole thing on Spotify. NY Times review here. Personally tempted!
  • ^^ Got this about a couple weeks ago.
    All previously-unreleased archival recordings.
    Love it!
  • Well, still keeping busy digitizing my albums & cassettes.
    Canned Heat

1968             Boogie With Canned Heat                1969                   Living The Blues

1970               Live At Topanga Corral                  1971      Canned Heat & John Lee Hooker              
                                                                                                           Hooker 'N Heat 
  • Carlos Del Junco

2005                   Blues Mongrel                           2008                     Steady Movin'
  • dipping back into Chick Corea...

• edited February 2021
    Firehouse 12 Records, October 30, 2020 
    Amirtha Kidambi - voice
    Maria Grand - tenor saxophone, voice
    Adam O'Farrill - trumpet
    Mary Halvorson - guitar
    Michael Formanek - bass
    Tomas Fujiwara - drums, beer cans on track 2
    Robert Wyatt - voice on tracks 1, 3, 5
  • edited February 2021
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga2033246822_14jpg
    Hearts of Space Records, June 16, 2017
    For the first time ever on CD, Kevin Braheny Fortune's "Lullaby for the Hearts of Space" is commercially available for the first time since 1991. Featuring live improvisations on the "Mighty Serge" analog synthesizer, the title track was recorded at the KPFA studio in Berkeley, CA for "Music from the Hearts of Space" and has become of the most sought-after ambient recordings of the era.
    "What great news, that what I consider one of the real masterpieces by one of the few true musicians that fully mastered the arcana of my synthesizer, shall finally be released for everyone to relish..."
    - Serge Tcherepnin
  • Another group from Capricorn Records, a favourite label from the 70's...
    Captain Beyond

1972                   Captain Beyond                         1973               Sufficiently Breathless
This discussion has been closed.