Terry Riley - In C . . . And more . . .

Comments

• I am not sure if anyone has posted this Wiki on In C. It includes a list of recordings.

Looks like I have more records to buy....
  • edited February 2019
    I am not sure if anyone has posted this Wiki on In C. It includes a list of recordings. This one is new to me, from 2018, Fighting Windmills + Sethstat. Here is a link to the recording on their webpage, or youtube live version, or Bandcamp Link, in three parts.

Looks like I have more records to buy....

• This is not In C but I will post it here anyway . . .

Terry Riley : piano, keyboards, electronics, melodica and vocals
    Gyan Riley : elec guitar and vocals

Live in Trento, Sanbapolis theater, 19th April, 2019

• Well, another one to add to the list. I'd forgotten I downloaded 
    this last Dec. and unfortunately it's not at Emusic anymore.
    Jeroen van Veen

2015                            In C
  • Here's a new discovery, regardless of I tend to agree with this comment:
    An interesting attempt at a new type of arrangement of this classic, but there are so many sustained notes the different fragments lose their distinction and it gets sludgy and messy.
    La Nòvia - In C (2019)
  • Thanks @Brighternow - It is always a great day when I find a new version of In C. Looking forward to listening to this sluggish mess this morning.
  • edited February 2021
    Not excactly in C but very close and certainly related . . . recommended by @rostasi in january 2021

"In D" is Brooklyn Raga Massive’s homage to Terry Riley, the legendary musician and composer credited with launching the genre of minimalism in 1964. It was inspired by the correspondence between Riley and members of BRM after the composer heard the group’s recording of "In C".
    The composition is based on a suite of 3 ragas that incorporates Riley’s concept of short musical cells that musicians can repeat and embellish at will. This is a single take of music, recorded by a diverse community of 25 musicians, all masked and 6' apart, in the midst of the 2020 pandemic in New York City. The performance was premiered at the Ragas Live Festival, the penultimate set of 24 hours of music, and was followed by a solo performance by Terry Riley himself.
    We hope that the joy we felt making music together for the first time in many moons emerges in these tracks and are grateful to Christopher Deputato and the Cafe Royal Cultural Foundation who made this dream come true.
  • This is not In C . . . but i do think that here is a good place to dump this:

released November 6, 2020
    In June of 2018, IE devised a special live arrangement of Terry Riley's Keyboard Study No. 2 for a performance at the Cedar Cultural Center with composer Lawrence English. Riley's Study is a modular, open-form work of minimalism from the 1960s that stemmed from the composer's own work as a performer on electric organ. From the original theme of four endlessly twirling notes repeated hundreds of times on the piano, IE develops Riley's composition into an exhausting, cathartic marathon, flowing upward in spiritual ascent.
  • - Maybe I should change the topic to just Terry Riley ?
    Terry Riley LIVE at the Bang on a Can Marathon 2020
    - Wonderfull !
  • New on eMusic - Terry Riley: In C (Live at the Roundchapel; Metropolitan Philharmonic Orchestra). 44.22, 99 cents. I can always use another version of In C
  • edited March 2023
    rostasi said:

This is what i really like about these discussions that you get introduced to bands that you've never heard of but really grow to like. 

So thanks @rostasi for the intro to Flock. I have just been listening to their s/t album released last year and it is outstanding.
  • You're welcome!

• edited March 2023
    rostasi said:

You're welcome!

And I like that version of The Flock too!

First came across them in that great sampler album “Fill Your Head With Rock” in 1970 which features a great shot on the cover of Jerry Goodman of The Flock with his violin 

• edited April 2023
    “Terry Riley In C” by Bang on a Can

AMG says “The Bang on a Can All-Stars have recorded perhaps the most innovative version of the work thus far, after Riley's own”

• “Terry Riley In C” by Bang on a Can

That album was my first introduction to In C, and Bang on a Can (an early eMusic purchase). Africa Express Presents... Terry Riley's In C Mali is a close second.

• A close cousin to In C.
  • In the 70s, I was driving thru Missouri - I think it was near Joplin - 
    and I got pulled over for speeding. I blame the trance inducing
    "Music in Fifths" that was blaring out of my cassette player.
  • With thanks to Steve Smith of the Night After Night newsletter, an engaging Irish version that comes with both Hi-Def and Binaural (headphone) versions.

https://louthcontemporarymusicsociety.bandcamp.com/album/terry-riley-in-c-irish

• djh said:
    With thanks to Steve Smith of the Night After Night newsletter, an engaging Irish version that comes with both Hi-Def and Binaural (headphone) versions.

https://louthcontemporarymusicsociety.bandcamp.com/album/terry-riley-in-c-irish

Thanks for the heads up. I'll use my extra hour this morning and give it a listen at Bandcamp.
  • Big thanks to DJH for this. The Bandcamp version of In C Irish gives you two different album mixes. The second is for Binaural Version for Headphones.

This bumps my In C collection to 24 recordings.

• Thank you, @djh, I just came across this and am loving it. This instrumentation makes me realize just how much the Penguin Cafe Orchestra drew inspiration from In C.
  • Thank you, @djh, I just came across this and am loving it. This instrumentation makes me realize just how much the Penguin Cafe Orchestra drew inspiration from In C.

Glad you enjoyed and a good point concerning  PCO. @Plong42 are you still stuck on 24 versions? I've no spreadsheet so I've no idea what I've gou, but probably less than half that.
  • I have 34 versions now...
  • @Plong42 You'll note I can't type a simple sentence, let alone create info like that. The lengths seem peculiar on some like the Irish one and the one below being only 1.58 am I reading things correctly?
  • Is the original in there and I'm just not seeing it?
  • The original....Carnegie Hall Presents in C (1968)? I have the 2009 remaster on the list. It is the only vinyl copy of I C I own. 

However, Bang on a Can is the first version I heard/owned (from the early eMusic days). In C and Philip Glass, Music in Fifths were early eMusic purchases and longtime favorites.