What are you listening to right now? (Twenty Million Things [We'd Like to Do when COVID is over])

Comments

• Pleasure Prison

by Ivan Zoloto

Ivan Zoloto, a Karelian musician and artist based in Barcelona is releasing his new album “Pleasure Prison” on the freshly-minted label School of the Arts. Recommended if you like: dark drone and ambient, experimental electronics, raw minimalism, noise, and free-floating strings.

Just like Zoloto’s previous release, “Ghosting” on the Russian CANT label, “Pleasure Prison” is deeply immersed in psychogeography: before relocating to Spain just before the pandemic the artist has been constantly on the move. The new long-play has been composed and recorded in Russia and China but finalized in Barcelona. It’s important to note that there are no field recordings, but some of the compositions have been recorded live and later reassembled in the studio.

The title track is a 35-minute-long composition for laptop, live electronics, and an improvising violinist. It was recorded with Russian-Finnish multi-instrumentalist Sasha Kretova in Petergof, with Zoloto performing in his favorite mode: as a dub engineer, with a laptop, a mixing desk, and some Soviet and handmade effects. It fuses his two main passions together: the raw and improvised side of drone music (think Vibracathedral Orchestra) and heavily processed electronics moving at a glacial pace with distant bass explosions.

Tracks “Problem no. 1” and “The Door Is Open” document Zoloto exploring another side of his heritage: here he’s playing jouhikko, a Karelian-Finnish bowed lyre, in a very aggressive and rude manner. He then treats it via half-broken tape recorders, conjuring some funeral noise-folk dirges.

The “Voice Message”/”Elevator Scene” suite starts off with LSS (also known as L.I.E.S.-affiliated artist 51717) whispering “pleasure prison” in a Facebook voice message and follows that with almost-techno-sounding hi-hats, ice-cold chords, and crude electronic loops performed live in Shanghai through assorted guitar amps. The result has been described by one listener as “Tim Hecker meets Hijokaidan”.

The overall mood is summarized in the following epigraph:

“I drive around the perimeter of the city like a dog marking its territory, over bridges and under bridges, the way I used to stalk the edges of my small hometown. This is mine. Nothing bad will happen here if I patrol the streets like a crazed vigilante. I drive my mother's car like it's a Panzer and the streets are my enemy, and I'm feeling bad and stupid and mean.”

⏤ Miriam Toews 

released February 26, 2021

Ivan Zoloto: electronics, CPU, strings (2–3), tape (2–3)
    Sasha Kretova: violin (1, 6)
    LSS: voice (4)
    Dale Cornish: CPU (6)
  • Avant-garde cosmic sounds from Senegal, “Yaral Sa Doom” is a groundbreaking album spanning borders and musical scenes. Inspired from West African tradition, Sufi praise songs, spiritual jazz, and dub rhythms, the effect is a genre defying entry in outernational sound. Hypnotic percussion loops across sweeping pads, call and response chants echoes layer over electronic beats, and children’s voices sing out to recordings of crashing waves.
  • @Germanprof thanks for the recommendation - a great album.

• Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup - Full Album (8-Bit)

Possibly a work of genius; and this the same week as another friend pointed me to the video of Kermit the Frog singing Talking Heads' Once In A Lifetime!

• Cornell Dupree

1974                                   Teasin'
  • Crosby, Stills & Nash (& Young)

1969              Crosby, Stills & Nash                    1970                       Déjà Vu

1971                   4 Way Street

• I'm following Confused, thanks for the reminder
  • Yoshihide Otomo  Hiroshi Yamazaki-live in Europe 2016-japan CD G16 for  sale online  eBay

ITARU OKI  Last Message With Sato Masahiko reviews

Having another listen today seeing as I need to get a bit more mileage out of the cost of getting these two over from Japan via DHL. Wonderful playing and yes Oki not only played but built trumpets looking like that.

• ^^@greg, @peterfrederics thread has been perfect timing for me as Covid has me spending time with my vinyl and cassettes. When my wife's retirement plan finally starts coming in we should have a little extra to spend. I've got a Wishlist a mile long now. By the way, I was taking @Brighternow's lead on those. Seems we all had a thing for CSNY.
    These will finish off my 70's "C's" for now.
    The Crusaders

1977                 Free As The Wind                        1979                      Street Life

• Almost forgot, two more to lead off the 80's...
    The Clash

1978               Give 'Em Enough Rope                   1979                   The Clash

1980                     London Calling                        1980                     Sandinista!

1982                   Combat Rock                            1985                   Cut The Crap
  • Cocteau Twins

1982                      Lullabies                                1983                 Head Over Heels

1985            Treasure + Aikea-Guinea                 1986                   Victorialand
  • ^^Still Wow!! First time I've played them all together according to lastfm. They just sounded beautiful!
    It's that kind of Sunday morning...
    The Cure

1980                  Boys Don't Cry                           1980                Seventeen Seconds

1981                        Faith                                    1983                      The Walk
  • edited February 2021
    The Cure cover . . . And a mindblowing one . . .
  • edited February 2021
    ^^Thanks, I did go back and listen to the original again and then back to the cover again to fully get it. He certainly has a way of taking it right to its core. The Cure have a special spot for me, not only because Smith has one of those voices that really connects with me but the music is always so interesting. Seventeen Seconds was my first and still favourite of their albums and I'm happy to have them all in my library. I'm not sure I'll get around to visiting them again but I'll keep trying.
    The Cure

1984                       The Top                                1985            The Head On The Door

1989                   Disintegration                           1996                 Wild Mood Swings

and for a snappy version

• The Cult

1985                          Love                                  1987                        Electric
  • edited March 2021
    Well, I was sad to find that the link for the Edges album no longer works, but
    he's generously gifting everybody with another Christian Wolff album. So, a big 
    thank you to Matt Smiley and thanks to @Doofy for the introduction.

2021                Christian Wolff : Burdocks  Free
    Cobra Ensemble + Christian Wolff

2010                     Christian Wolff: Edges

Christian Wolff - Hildegard KleebRoland DahindenDimitris Polisoidis 

1994                     For Ruth Crawford                   
    Ps- Terrific addition, Thanks again!
  • Cornelius Cardew

1971  Cornelius Cardew & The Scratch Orchestra  1985   Cornelius Cardew Memorial Concert
    UbuWeb        - The Great Learning                         UbuWeb             

2006                     Consciously                              2014         Matt Smiley/Cornelius Cardew
    UbuWeb                                                                                               -Treatise Live!
                                                                                  No longer at Bandcamp either.
  • Roots
    Baba Zula - Roots                                         Billy Gomberg - Necessary Red (Free)
    BCDOf Mist amp Melting
    Basic Channel - BCD                                  Bill Connors - Of Mist and Melting           
  • Colorlist

2011  The Fastest Way To Become The Ocean      2018                   Full Circle
  • Quicksilver Messenger Service album "The Best Of Quicksilver Messenger Service".

• Geri Reig by Der Plan

Der Plan - Geri Reig. The first Der Plan album. Sort of a Residents take on minimal synth pop via Neue Deutsche Welle. Some catchy tunes amongst the zany behaviour.

• edited March 2021
    Curandero featuring Ty BurhoeMiguel EspinozaBéla Fleck and Kai Eckhardt

2007                                      Aras
    I was lucky enough to get this from Emusic before it disappeared. Most enjoyable listen!
  • Conjure (Kip Hanrahan &Friends)

1984     Music For The Texts Of Ishmael Reed       1988   Cab Calloway Stands In For The Moon

2005                    Bad Mouth
  • From 2007 and new on Bandcamp:
  • Cobblestone Jazz

2007                     23 Seconds                              2010      The Modern Deep Left Quartet
  • New from Ben Monder and friends. Review here

This discussion has been closed.