What are you listening to right now? (21st Century Schizoid Thread)

Comments

• "The Golden Age: Complete Atlantic Recordings 1956-1960" by The Modern Jazz Quartet.

The Golden Age The Complete Atlantic Recordings 1956 - 1960 - Compilation  by The Modern Jazz Quartet  Spotify
  • rostasi said:

Slap bass meets Fourth World! Good find!!
  • Starting on this new release today: Fox Theater St. Louis box set...20 cds, 71-73

• who? what? where?
  • edited October 2021
    Went to Cabrini Hospital in Melbourne today for a MRI scan. The lovely hospital staff gave me a set of headphones and let me listen to The Doors while I was being scanned.

Enough time to hear "Light My Fire", "Riders On The Storm" and "Break On Through".

And now back home, I am honouring all those hospital and other medical staff who have done such a fabulous job through Covid by listening to what to my mind is the best rock album of all time -  The Doors s/t first album. Anybody agree!!??

Viva la Doors  The Prudent Groove

As AMG says "A tremendous debut album, and indeed one of the best first-time outings in rock history, introducing the band's fusion of rock, blues, classical, jazz, and poetry with a knockout punch."

• Released today (Oct 15). 
  • Technodrome re-released on the forthrightly named "we release whatever the fuck we want records" label. With thanks to @rostasi. Fun listen.
    Before that:
    Very enjoyable, sounds an awful lot like Tortoise.
  • New Weird Australia, Made Of Wood And Wire (Expanded Edition)

• Marta Sainz

Marta Sainz / Xedh / Enrique Zaccagnini                   Tres Piezas
    Destruction Des Animaux Nuisibles #1                     

David Paredes / Marta Sainz                                      Marta Sainz & If, Bwana
    8 Lieder (AL005)                                                        Sable
    Also on Alina Records
    Marta Sainz & Antonia Funes
    Discantus (AL 007)
  • Plong42 said:
    Starting on this new release today: Fox Theater St. Louis box set...20 cds, 71-73

OK, I finally figured out the who and what of this. The artwork is so wonky, that I didn't realize.
    It's the Grateful Dead - apparently I now have to find a track listing somewhere... You guys...
  • No, I couldn't tell because it's so bad, I guess, or some other reason.
    Only 2 minutes ago, I actually saw the band name in the artwork, so...
  • Also @rostasi how's the Trane?
     I've been meaning to pull the trigger on that one despite having an earlier version.
  • edited October 2021
    Well, what you’re getting are 5 tracks from the Village Vanguard Master Takes album plus one extra version of “Spiritual” that was on that 4-disc box of the “Complete Recordings…”, so it’s nice to have a concise collection.
    BUT, what you’re really getting this for (besides the incredible music) is the much improved sound that the Hat Hut folks pulled out of these tapes. You can hear it across all performers, but especially Coltrane and Elvin’s playing really stand out extra clear.
    I forgot that it’s available thru Bandcamp, so here’s a link.

• Landmark recordings made in Burkina Faso by Hisham Mayet during three expeditions from 2013-15.

Despite political upheavals and the logistical complexities of recording in the bush, Mayet was able to compile a matchless overview of Burkinabé music from the Mossi, Bissa, Fulani, Dioula, Bobo, Samo, Lobi, Senoufo, and Bwaba people.

Volume 1 highlights the sacred and secular music of the regional balafon or xylophone revered by the Lobi people of southwestern Burkina Faso. In Lobi culture, the balafon performance is not simply music; it is a form of speech that allows master musicians to converse intimately with the living and the dead.

This LP showcases two side-long performances that are as thrilling as any Burkinabé music ever recorded. These tracks not only echo but also further some of the greatest examples of Western avant-garde music: Imagine the pulsating minimalist motifs of titans like Terry Riley or La Monte Young elaborated into a dizzying maximalism. 

• edited October 2021
    Gryphon album “Red Queen to Gryphon Three“

ProgArchives rates the album No. 14 in 1974 and one of the reviewers says "Gryphon's best record. Renaissance and classical influences are prominent in this entirely instrumental work. This is an absolute masterpiece, recommended to all lovers of instrumental prog."

Just love the Krumhorn playing.

• rostasi said:
    Well, what you’re getting are 5 tracks from the Village Vanguard Master Takes album plus one extra version of “Spiritual” that was on that 4-disc box of the “Complete Recordings…”, so it’s nice to have a concise collection.
    BUT, what you’re really getting this for (besides the incredible music) is the much improved sound that the Hat Hut folks pulled out of these tapes. You can hear it across all performers, but especially Coltrane and Elvin’s playing really stand out extra clear.
    I forgot that it’s available thru Bandcamp, so here’s a link.

That was my impression but I got too tied up with other things to go back to the versions I already have. Time to pull that trigger. Thanks.
  • A bit of skronk to amuse our plumber while he fixes our loo - no, really.

• For @rostasi I thought you were kidding about not recognising this!
    I read that in sarcasm mode as well...

• rostasi said:The artwork is so wonky, that I didn't realize.

Or glorious, as the case may be. I was a bit young for these shows, but in the winter of 79 I was at the Kiel Auditorium in STL for this show: https://archive.org/details/gd79-12-09.sbd.miller.27751.sbeok.flacf I was sitting in the 4th row, because my long-blonde-haired girlfriend worked at the neighborhood smoke shop, which had a Ticketron window. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

• Doofy said: a Ticketron window.
    Now there is a word I have not heard in many years...

To keep things on topic:

Egdorf Works for Strings  KAIROS

Burkhard Egdorf: Works for Strings, Kairos, 2020. Still on eMu, although listed on the Paladino label.

• edited October 2021
    Plong42 said:
    Now there is a word I have not heard in many years...

In addition to having Ticketron, the smoke shop was attached to a waterbed store
    Back in the current decade:

This discussion has been closed.