What are you listening to right now? (24 hours from Tulsa)

Comments

• edited February 3
    The Open Window s/t 1969 Prog/Art Rock album

The members of The Open Window (including Peter Schickele - refer my RIP post) also composed the score and lyrics for the famous and controversial, in its day, theatrical review, “Oh! Calcutta!”.

ProgArchives says "The Open Window self-titled album is an eclectic melange of avant-rock, chamber rock, psychedelic, raga, jazz, pop-classical and baroque, honky-tonk, and folk music elements."

• Thanks to @Germanprof for the heads up and a most enjoyable listen.
    Jonas Meyer

Konfusion    nyop
    Konfusion is the debut album by Germany's Jonas Meyer. It is a collection of pulsing, shimmering electro-acoustic pieces. A multitude of sound sources, (including piano, percussion, synth and others I can't identify) are treated and layered up, often underpinned by a strong pulse. Sometimes the pieces sway heavily into the digital realm, with precise edits, clicks and cuts, other times the processing is more gentle and reserved. Konfusion is without doubt a fascinating, complex and sophisticated debut album.

Schaudern & Schweben
    Schaudern & Schweben (roughly translates to shiver and floating) contains two ambient pieces reflecting on a specific feeling occurring in winter time. When everything calms down, you can lose touch with the constructed world around you, forcing the gaze inwards, opening up to new sensibilities. The feeling of awe in these moments of stillness, contemplating on the relation of nature and self and maybe looking for a soft hope or warm blanket to protect yourself.

We're just finishing a midwinter heatwave with snow and colder temperatures on the way. As the snow has mostly melted it'll be great to see things covered up again before the tulips wake up.
  • More thanks to @Germanprof for also introducing me to Jonas Reinhardt

Music For The Tactile Dome                                 Foam Fangs

Mask Of The Maker                                              Ganymede       nyop

Palace Savant                                                       Conclave Surge
  • Tom Waits  The Black Rider 1993 CD - Discogs

According to Last.FM, I have not listened to this since 2010.

• Jonny Nash

Exit Strategies                                                      Eden

Jonny Nash / Lindsay Todd – Fauna Mapping        Gigi Masin & Jonny Nash – Postcards From Nowhere

Point Of Entry
  • Jonny Nash & Suzanne Kraft

Passive Aggressive                                               A Heart So White

MATstudio  (Jonny NashDiego Herrera - aka Suzanne Kraft)

MATstudio 1                                                        MATstudio 2

MATstudio 3
  • edited February 5

The Verve to release deluxe 20th anniversary version of Urban Hymns
    The Verve - "Urban Hymns" (Deluxe Edition)
    Just discovered that all three of the Verve's albums got a deluxe/box set/remaster treatment.  The Urban Hymns version of this is two discs.. the original, remastered (nicely) and a second disc of live material from the album's song.  The other two albums, their debut "A Storm in Heaven" and "Northern Soul" apparently were true box sets with tons of live material and alternate songs and demos.  And, of course, they're impossible to find.  I was fortunate to get the Urban Hymns deluxe edition at my local music store, still new.
    Update:  Actually, it appears this album also was reissued as a 5-cd box set.  God, I want all three of them.

• José González

Veneer                                                                 Australian Tour EP

In Our Nature                                                       Vestiges & Claws

José González & The String Theory                       Local Valley
    – Live In Europe
  • I had this on repeat while writing yesterday afternoon and again at home with more focus on listening, so maybe 5 or 6 times in a row. It didn't get old. It slots into a really useful space for me. I can't concentrate on work while listening to music that has a bass line or lyrics, but I also find it difficult to concentrate with the kind of drone music that saturates the listening space and becomes kind of hypnotizing/lulling. I am always looking for stuff for work listening that is ambient but has space in it, with enough action to tickle the brain into focus but not enough to demand attention. This hits that spot for me.
  • Julian Lage

Sounding Point                                                     Fred Hersch And Julian Lage – Free Flying

Julian Lage & Chris Eldridge   -   Avalon               Nels Cline & Julian Lage  -  Room

World’s Fair
  • Some of the albums from last Fridays last(?) Bandcamp Friday have been on rotation yesterday and today.
    MV & EE Green Ark                                              Concepcion Huerta - The Earth has Memory

• Some more from a really terrific guitar player!

Arclight                                                                Live In Los Angeles

Julian Lage And Chris Eldridge – Mount Royal       Modern Lore

Love Hurts

• https://rosiefratertaylor.bandcamp.com/album/featherweight

Rosie Frater Taylor -Featherweight, her last album was on  heavy paly in my house this one is as good

• Julius Eastman    Thanks to @Plong42 for the introduction.  We'll start out keeping it simple on this Super Bowl Sunday!!.

Unjust Malaise                                                      S.E.M. Ensemble - Femenine

The Zürich Concert                                               Kukuruz QuartetJulius Eastman 
                                                                                   – Piano Interpretations

Ensemble 0AUM GRAND ENSEMBLE
     - Femenine
  • ^^^ @confused^^^ I'll be doing my Taylor Swift watch from about lunchtime tomorrow thanks to the time difference and me taping things. I'm still not staying up till 4 a.m. even if I don't have to go into work. That means I'll be offline until tomorrow evening just in case. Looking forward to a good close game.
  • edited February 12
    "Fauna" the latest album by outstanding British Progressive Rock band Haken. Their 2013 album "Mountain" was ranked no. 2 for the year by ProgArchives. I will be seeing them live in Melbourne on May 2nd.

AMG says "Fauna is often dazzling in its kaleidoscopic, intricately detailed weave of prog, djent, and metal."

And if you, like me, were wondering what on earth the word "Djent" means, the following is the Wikipedia definition!

"Djent (/dʒɛnt/) is a subgenre of progressive metal characterized by its use of complex and heavily syncopated rhythm patterns. Its distinctive sound is that of high-gain, distorted, palm-muted, down-tuned strings. The name "djent" is an onomatopoeia of this sound. Djent."

So now you know!

Fauna
  • djh said:
    ^^^ @confused^^^ I'll be doing my Taylor Swift watch from about lunchtime tomorrow thanks to the time difference and me taping things. I'm still not staying up till 4 a.m. even if I don't have to go into work. That means I'll be offline until tomorrow evening just in case. Looking forward to a good close game.
    You won't be disappointed, it was a terrific game!  
  • Loren Dent - Anthropology Vol. 1
    I've started changing up my listening algorithms. For a long time now I've used smart playlists to create a flow that emphasizes wide coverage, discovery, and neglected items. That has had benefits, but I have noticed that it can push me toward spending more time listening to things I am lukewarm about than things I really like. So I started tweaking with a "best ambient" playlist designed for the cream of the crop. This is on it.
  • "Fauna" the latest album by outstanding British Progressive Rock band Haken. 
    Better link.
  • Tarab Vocal Art in Cairo & Alexandria vol. 4, ca. 1923​-​28

• confused said:
    djh said:
    ^^^ @confused^^^ I'll be doing my Taylor Swift watch from about lunchtime tomorrow thanks to the time difference and me taping things. I'm still not staying up till 4 a.m. even if I don't have to go into work. That means I'll be offline until tomorrow evening just in case. Looking forward to a good close game.
    You won't be disappointed, it was a terrific game!  

I was very disappointed as the recording didn't work and it was blocked from catch-up streaming. Ended up watching 20 minutes of highlights on YouTube :'(   Looked to be a great game.
  • ^^^An overtime game with 3 seconds to go - yep, pretty exciting!! You can always wait and see Kansas City win it again next year ;)

Moving onto 2004 bypassing the 80's (Dunkelziffer) & 90's.
    Damo Suzuki

Cul De Sac & Damo Suzuki– Abhayamudra          Damo Suzuki With Metak Network / Zu & X. Iriondo 
                                                                                  – PhonoMetak Series # 4

Damo Suzuki & Magical Unicellular Music 
      – WHNZ:17:SUM     archive.org
  • confused said:
    ^^^An overtime game with 3 seconds to go - yep, pretty exciting!! You can always wait and see Kansas City win it again next year ;)

Hopefully without the shooting at the parade. Terrible news.
  • ^^^It's so sad that there are so many that feel they're above the law and they don't think there should be any consequences for their actions. Oh wait, he's running to be President again???

Some noisier Damo-

Damo Suzuki's Network                                       Damo Suzuki & Cuzo – Puedo Ver Tu Mente
            - Sette Modi Per Salvare Roma 
               (Seven Ways To Save Rome)

Damo Suzuki And God Don't Like It Ensemble – Live At Cafe Oto
       archive.org
  • ^^^ @confused ^^^ Stepping away from the politics (depression sets in and I'm listening to enough Dungeon Synth as it is...) I now find it hard to believe that Damo played Cafe Oto and for whatever reason I wasn't in the audience. On a good day I could get door to door in about 30 minutes.