Well that may be the end of eMu for me.

Comments

• --All international music is Reggae.
  • ----Are you telling me that bamboo flute album I loved so much isn't reggae? What next? I suppose The Four Tops aren't Hip Hop.
  • BTW, Daniel Esq has apparently been taken over by a pod person who does not use caps, ever...if u know what i mean

INTERESTING THEORY
  • edited June 2011
  • edited June 2011
    lol

i know what u mean
  • edited June 2011
    I'd like to add

- If different artists have the same name, such as John Williams, we will separate them in terms of artists, but you will find albums by both artists under each name

- We have one pricing system in one part of the World and another elsewhere. So you can pay $4.40 for an album in USA but £21 or 25 Euros elsewhere for the same album. Conversely, some albums are $7.99 in USA for only two tracks but 84p or 0.98 Euros elsewhere
  • edited June 2011
    --eMusic's albums are in many circumstances 8-9% cheaper than the most expensive download services, except when the album is less than ten years old, or if the label adds "New" to its title, or or more than three people buy the album (which qualifies it as a 'hit'), or if the album goes on sale elsewhere (in which case, eMu may be at least 100% more expensive).

--We're busy accommodating UMG, so the album you've been waiting to get from that small Italian Jazz label will be a little late arriving .. if ever.

--Cathy will answer all your questions.
  • I Like the last one BT - I had to LOL!!
  • The Rhino Sale is up, btw. http://www.emusic.com/music-news/music-collection/rhino-sale/ Rather punk-oriented....Joy Division, the Stooges, others...but lots of other good stuff at 4.99 or less. Including "Rust Never Sleeps," which I haven't had since LP days.
  • It's great stuff, but a lot of stuff I already have. Moreover, nothing is marked down all that much (unless the prices were recently inflated).
  • Another reason to quit eMu: having no idea what they're going to get when, such as the new Gillian Welch album that is $4.90 over there, after twice saying they weren't going to get it.

I suppose I should be used to such things, but I'm not.
  • I haven't yet got a rejoin offer. It's still early, too soon to begin building assumptions, but when I consider the fact that I might not receive any more of them, I really don't feel any sadness or care much at all. Emu really wore me out.
  • Much to my surprise, they offered me a free month after cancelling my one-off account. Now the trick is whether or not I get a rejoin offer after that. I might be tempted to stick around another month after that and then see if they'll give me another free one.
  • edited July 2011
    Getting nothing but Oops page - could it be another exciting upgrade to this most fabulous of websites, or did the webmonkeys just keep smoking crack until they seizured? I can hardly wait....

Edit - That's interesting - 7digital says they are temporarily offline doing some essential work or something to that effect.
    Co-inky-dink?
  • edited July 2011
    Hmm, try it again - apparently a band called "Oops" released a new album called "Error 404", and it knocked out their entire server farm for a few hours.
  • edited July 2011
    I was getting Oops for 15 minutes or so, but all seems OK now
  • edited July 2011
    I should add that when I say "server farm," I'm referring to their one (and so far, only) web server, which is located on a small hog farm in upstate New York. Apparently this problem was so serious that several of the hogs actually fell unconscious, until they were woken up by the local FDA inspector.
  • Yeah. it's all back and the SOS. That story above sound like it demands a new verse to that famous song, Working On A Hog Farm, or was that about some hippies at Woodstock? I hate hippies! (Anyone really bored can search that in the emuser archive).
  • New happening on emusic:
    Our members have been asking for Rollover...we listened!

We're happy to inform you that you've been selected for rollover benefits as part of a pilot program in progress. What this means to you:

At the end of your 30-day cycle any unused balance will rollover for an additional 30 days
    You'll have twice as much time (60 days!) to use each month's credit
    Your Rollover benefits will begin after your next account refresh

Not sure how many people they selected. Also not sure why they selected me - as far as I can remember I have never left any balance unspent (I am more likely to be pining for refresh day than grumbling about cash left) - I am a little intrigued by the possibility of saving for two months to buy a multi-disk set (but using boosters for that would be cheaper). Maybe it's just because I've been there a while and have complained about other things in the past. Or maybe it's random.
    ABOUT YOUR ROLLOVER PLAN

This is a beta program and is currently available to a select group of eMusic members.
    Rollover privileges are limited to your current plan. You may upgrade, downgrade, or cancel at anytime, but your rollover rights will end. All other aspects of your account and service will remain the same. Rollover applies to your monthly plan balance only. Credits from booster packs and other bonuses are not affected. Rollover plans are subject to change, and eMusic reserves the right to end these plans at any time without notice.
    Your rollover benefits begin after your next refresh. Any plan balance prior to this date will not rollover.
  • i am jealous of you, germanprof.

i have .52 burning a hole in my emusic wallet, i'm going to lose it in three days, and i'm paralyzed over which beyonce track to download.

i need credit rollovers.
  • Rollover... what? It's a trick! Don't do it!

Wait a minute, wrong website - I thought I was logged into the House Republican Caucus there for a minute.
  • edited July 2011
    I got another come back offer- this time it's 5.99 for .99. Are there any albums I can get for 5.99?

Edit: yay; rhino sale is still on!
  • It's been over a month since I had my last offer. Looks like I may have maxed them out. Oh well.

Craig
  • Just got a .99/$6.50 offer. I am, obviously, going to take it.
  • I got that too.
  • I got that one and passed, since just last month I paid 0.99 for $16.99 in credit. Maybe they're wising up, but I'm going to hold out for a better offer.
  • i never get nothing... sniff, sniff, sniff...
  • Back at the beginning of June I got an offer of one month for $0.99, but didn't take them up on it before it expired on June 30th. I poked around on the site some, but I just had this feeling of complete disinterest. I guess I'm over emusic.
  • I rejoined.

I also went to the 17 Dots section for only maybe the third time ever. I searched on the jazz tag. The last post made there was almost a year and a half ago.

And who are their editors that do the editor's picks? I'm curious if they really have jazzers there who can act as a source of information and perspective or if it's just indie guys who like jazz well enough but spend more time reading about what they should be recommending rather than listening to it.

I guess without knowing what percentage of jazz is actually purchased on the site as compared to all other purchases, there's no way of stating an opinion on whether their resources are adequate. I guess I never really thought about it much before today.
  • I've become more cynical as I get older so I believe that their recommendations throughout are more linked to marketing than to any other reason these days. I have stopped looking at 17 Dots anyway, not that I ever did much, because so much I cannot download here