MiG Blog Talk: For the Technical/Administrative Stuff

Comments

• edited December 2012
    This is taking longer than I expected.

= Basic truth of all writing processes longer than an average discussion board comment :-(.
  • I'm working on an MiG draft of my contribution for a collaborative 'best of 2012' piece. Got five in the draft now, each with short descriptions. Still have quite a few more to add, which I can have finished in a couple more days - that is, IF we are still doing it? It's okay with me if the idea peters out - I imagine everybody is pretty busy right now.
  • @kez, go for it. I hope the collaborative piece still happens; if not sounds like you have enough for it to stand as a piece in itself. I have my top 20 identified and still hope to turn it into a piece - as you say, also very busy.
  • @GP - yes, I'll go ahead and submit my 'best-of' individually. Almost finished - should be ready to submit in a day or two.
  • Great. Hope to have mine within a week. Have to go speak in Florida first though. Such a sacrifice having to go down to Florida for work in January ;-)
  • It's going to be the weekend before I submit my 'best of' piece. I had hoped to have it submitted already but a death in the family has delayed things. It's almost complete and I plan to finish it up Saturday or Sunday.
  • edited January 2013
    Sorry for your loss, kez.

Craig
  • edited January 2013
    My condolences also, kez.

The blog is acting up on me this afternoon. It keeps either (i) refreshing the page and losing things I just typed or maybe (ii) not saving things I just typed when I hit save (I'm not certain which). Just now I made a change and hit "Save" and it took me to a "D'oh" page not found page, then when I went back to the post it had stripped out all my hard returns and screwed up all the formatting. So I went back to the last saved version.

ETA I *think* what's happening is that it keeps doing an autosave in the background (at least the save button seems to gray out randomly for a few moments) but is being laggy with it and not getting whatever I typed since ih thought of autosaving entered its mind. When I actually hit the save button it takes up to a minute and a half to save. Other websites are loading at normal speed.
    ETA2 or it might sometimes be taking so long to save when I hit save that when I come back several minutes later to type more it is still saving from last time, and then refreshes the page when it's done and loses any new typing. That definitely just happened.
  • Thank you, Cafreema and Germanprof.

I got my "best-of" piece finished. I will proof-read it tomorrow and then submit.

Germanprof - I also had trouble saving my draft. I'm not having the slow saves, but when it does save, it almost always eliminates my hard returns and squishes everything up too much. I have added and re-added them, using   They sometimes hold and sometimes not.
  • GP's is up.

I had a lot of issues with the hard returns on mine too. It was incredibly irritating.

Craig
  • @Kez, my sympathies for your loss, too. Just in indescribably difficult thing to navigate emotionally.

@EveryoneElse

I've been having trouble on my own site with lagging. Also, my youtube, vimeo, and soundcloud players have been getting screwed up, likely by JetPack, which I believe MiG doesn't actually use... so you may be okay there. But there do seem to be some kinks from the latest Wordpress update.

Cheers.
  • Things got crazy at work and the time available to finish the piece vanished. Should I press on now that thing are a little calmer? I feel like I took the guy's time, I should at least do the article. On the other hand, do we want to run an article about XMAS music in January? It's going to be more of an interview about the project than about the album.
  • I would say go for it. We're not beholden to anyone else's idea of deadlines.
  • Go for it!

Craig
  • edited July 2013
    Something has changed since I last embedded a bandcamp player. I can't get it to show now - I am using what claims to be wordpress code from bandcamp. The internets tal;k of a bandcamp plugin - do we need one? Anything I need to do to make this work?

ETA, as you were, turns out having a "wordpress" option was a trick to fool me - it's working now with the html option.
  • edited September 2014
    Well well, spammers have a sense of humor.
    Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar oone
    and i was just wondering if you gett a lot of spam comments?

If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?

I get so much lately it’s driving mme mad so any support is very much appreciated.
    Posted to MusicisGood by someone apparently selling anti-inflammatories for dogs.

Another favorite, posted on the Makunouchi Bento review:
    As an anatomist, I’d personally propose you see your health care provider for an x ray.
  • There's a comment posted to MiG that says:

"PSST! Update your https://wordpress.org/plugins/sem-external-links/ plugin.. It will get rid of the warning at the top of every page of your site and that is also appearing in every Facebook share of your articles... ( you can see how it looks on FB here: https://www.facebook.com/ehermit/posts/10152694128445977 )
    Send me an email if you don't know what I mean and I can help you fix it!
    Cheers!"

This seems more sentient and relevant than the usual spam - is this a real thing? If so does anyone know what to do with it? I have not clicked the links.
  • That looks legit. I did a google seach on it and found this on the wordpress support site forum:
    I fixed it by on line 47:

change 'function ob_filter($text)'
    to 'public static function ob_filter($text)'

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-external-links-warning-displayed-for-ob_start

However, when you go to the MiG dashboard, you should see an Updates page which would tell you if certain plugins (or the version of Wordpress) needs to be updated. I would check that first before changing lines of code. That said, there have been times on BitW that I've tweaked code relating to plugins and everything worked out as it should.

I would go look myself, but either my login or password doesn't work.

Cheers.
  • I updated the plugin and the warning's gone. There's some other updates but I'll hold off on them until I have time to make sure the updates don't break anything.
  • edited December 2014
    Oops
  • Hey, GP.

I just sent you a whispered discussion with the password for the MiG twitter account, in case you want to be able to use it. I've been really bad about it.

I tried to whisper it to others, but it didn't seem to let me do it for more than one nick. If you want the password, let me or GP know.

Cheers.
  • edited December 2014
    OK, thanks. My own Twitter account only tweets when I post a MiG piece, so maybe I can help raise he MiG account to the same heights of productivity.
  • So, yeah MiG writers. I put the first end of year list up today. I hope you're all writing some!

Craig
  • I still have to decide on a few recent purchases, but most of my list is in place. When will I actually write it up for MiG? Give it a couple of weeks, maybe.
  • Sounds good Nereffid!

Craig
  • Working on it. Almost down to 20 - still doing some re-listening.
  • edited January 2015
    the MiG site is down.
    ETA, can't remember, was it this time of year it went down before? Does Dr. Mutex have an annual payment due?
  • Sent Dr. Mu an email.

Craig
  • It's back up.

Craig