Do we have a thread for television shows

Comments

• I have to say Wolf Hall might be the best thing ever.
  • We will definitely watch the remaining episodes!
  • I've been watching all of Star Trek Voyager. I never really got into it when it was on TV. It does have some very dull if not bad episodes and the Borg escapee's outfit seems painted on her skin and they apparently have an endless supply of shuttle craft, photo torpedoes, and other items that I'd think would run out in a year or two. On the whole, I've liked seeing how they managed being stuck so far from the Alpha Quadrant. 
  • Various and sundry - thought Wolf Hall was very good - much less glitzy than The Tudors, probably more realistic set-wise.  Very tough to capture the essence of the books which were essentially a character study through dialogue, inner and outer, but I thought well done.
    No SPOILER ALERT but I did not think much of the Mad Men finale, or the whole wrap-up.
    Game Of Thrones is so far off the book track at this point I wouldn't know where to begin, but we still watch religiously.
    Penny Dreadful on Showtime is so dark and twisted, and we haven't missed a one.
    It is a bit stuffy and formal at times but it was 1777, and as improbable as some events seem they were surpassed by real life - we are liking Turn! on AMC.
  • 1864 a new Danish drama showing on the BBC, saw the first episode last night, looking like a good view
  • edited May 2015

Ah, that Mad Men finale...not too much of a spoiler here in my post.

I thought it was great in that it ended with an ad campaign that is instantly recognizable for most of the world, almost like the first season had the Kodak carousel ad campaign which was also recognizable to most of the world.

The little recaps of "where will they be in 5 years" were odd.

especially Peggy deciding she was in love. Oh, good grief.

Rats, can't figure out the spoiler thing just now.

• I also thought Katrina's spoiler was weird, especially as 3 seconds earlier she was apparently so worried about [spoiler] committing suicide 
  • For amc2, Mrs amc2 and other Downton fans. We watched the last episode of the final series a couple of nights ago - not the final programme as that is going to be a Christmas special. Autumn Sunday evenings will be missing something next year, although in some ways I'm not sorry to see it ending, it has stretched the idea too much and they have entered an historical period of significant social change. One of the fascinating aspects of this series has been, as an audience, speculating on how the characters would move on to new lives. No spoilers from me, other than Maggie Smith's comment before this series started that she was surprised she was sill there in the final programme.
  • Enjoying the BBC programme River, a detective drama with a Scandinavian twist . Abrilliant script and shows the dark side of London
  • The trailers looked good, we've still got to watch it off Sky Plus, looking forward to it. Last week we saw most of Unforgotten, last part this week. Similarly detective with Scandinavian twist - must be the latest fashion for detyective series in the UK!
  • Thought of you all during this week's Modern Family.

daughter Alex to dad Phil:

"One of my professors taught a chimpanzee to play the saxophone. We all think he's great, but he only plays jazz, so there's no way to tell."

• Absolutely love, love, love "The Magicians".

Catch it, if you can.

• edited April 2016

Yes, probably a few Game of Thrones spoilers to follow...

Fuck it.  I know this is going to be a big disappointment, I might as well live-emu this...

Oh for the love of god, for the all the money they get budgeted, why can't they throw a few bucks at mixing up that fucking tedious opening theme song?  Guh.

Yes!  Starting out at the The Wall.  My favorite place on the show!

Man, for a bunch of supposed tough-guys, those Wall guards are a bunch of fickle bitches.  One half-assed speech and they turn into a knitting circle.  "Oh sure, okay, when you put it that way, his murder sounds reasonable, okay, we're good."

Even though I know Theo and Sansy won't drown in that river (or die of hypothermia), it's not unreasonable for me to hope for it anyway, is it?

One thing I've always appreciated about that blonde knight lady person (is her name Maggie?  Or Frida?  Something like that) is that she's always out of breath and laboring, which is how it should be with all that armor and those heavy fucking swords.

For someone who was seriously tortured, Theo seems to be back in the right mind a bit ahead of schedule.

Okay, that Frida and Sansy knighted scene was sort of touching.

That look on Jamie's face as he sails into the harbor directly as Sherrie?  You can tell he's totally thinking, "Man, I hope our dead daughter doesn't spoil my chances of getting a good welcome-home fuck with my sister."

Ha!  And now he's thinking, "Great, how the hell am I gonna segue Sherrie from an anecdote about our dead mother to the subject of romance?"

Oh, hey, good idea, Jamie.  Just start saying the word fuck over and over again, then lean in for an embrace.

I still don't know what that chick's name is.  Queen whats-her-name.

Kinda turned on by those snake assassin chicks.

TYRIOL!!!!!!! TYYYYYYRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!  Here we go, Tyriol, here we go!

Anytime they go to wide-shot, it's pretty dramatic scenery.  They should do it more often.  With Slick and Ted trying to rack down Daria, that's some beautiful countryside.

GAH, why do they torture me like this?  So close to killing Daria, so close.

Okay, that was a good scene, though, with the barbarian leader.  A little humor thrown in, which I didn't mind.

Okay, so they are, in fact, going with the blind ninja storyline with, shit, what's that girl's name?  Patty?  Maddy?

Ooooh, cool, back at the wall.  And WOLF!  Great, and now we get more of that creepy red headed woman again. Why? Do we really need this?  Guh.  Whoa. Okay, it just got worse.

Wait, what?  That's the fucking end of the episode?  DAMMIT!  I just KNEW that was going to be a disappointment!  And it was.

Now, that said... if we get Tyriol and the Stan the Spider dude running a city as one of the major storylines this season, that's pretty cool.  Also, the only time I could deal with Daria was when she was with the barbarian dudes, so if that's starting back up, then I'm okay with that.... well, I'd rather they just kill her, but, shit, since that doesn't seem to be an option right now, at least she can just walk around silently.  I like the time at the Wall... not sure why we're not yet at the point where half the show is at the Wall fighting those white walker dudes and the other half at Castle Blandings with the Lancasters and their court intrigue.  Okay, and I guess Tyriol running his own city.  That would be okay.  That whole thing with Ted and Slick looking for Daria in some stupid buddy-buddy team-up thing is going to tire quickly.  Oh, and hey, GoT writers... Ted turning to stone is not a compelling storyline.  BORING!

Oh, fuck, I just saw the promo for next week... that damn legless fob is back!  God, why couldn't they just have written him out of the show?  It's just gonna be one more story trope knock off.  Great, druids.  Whatever.  BORING!

Alright, I think I got that out of my system.  We'll see what happens next week.

/rant

• edited April 2016
    GOT spoiler alert, sort of.  I say sort of because about an hour before the show came on I said to my wife that the thing I dreaded was that the opening episode would end with somebody everybody was concerned about being dead and maybe resurrected still dead and not yet maybe resurrected just so they could screw with us for another week, or two.  Damn I hate being right.
    They pulled a Glen on us.
  • Yes, it's definitely a warm up episode. Do they think some fans won't know it's back on or something. 
  • Jonah's sneering faux-ignorance of character names continues to amuse!
  • Indeed - Stan the Spider seems to be a new one.
  • That's funny.  I didn't even notice I called him Stan the Spider.  I think I only ever referred to him previously as the spider dude or spider guy.  I'd have to check.  I still have no clue what his name is, but I know it's not Sam.

I was thinking about that first episode a bit, especially about some of the dialog.  There was something looser about it this episode, something more like you'd see on an NBC prime-time comedy.  That whole thing with the barbarians and the barbarian leader standing in front of Daria and saying something crude, and asking if there was anything truly better than that, and then his two barbarian buddies starting naming a bunch of other things (ie, breaking in a horse, killing an enemy, etc), and then the leader frowned and said, fine, this crude thing (whatever it was) is one of the FIVE best things a barbarian leader could ask for.  And then there was the thing with the hot snake assassin chicks when they killed the kings son and the one killed him from behind, and the other called her a greedy bitch for killing him instead of letting her do it... those could have just been isolated incidents that don't see any reoccurrences, but I'm curious to see if upcoming episodes utilize a similar approach.  I hope not.  I have this image of a new show producer hiring new writers before this season and saying, hey, we need some snappier dialog... think Friends meets Conan the Barbarian.

Anyways, just throwing that out there.
  • edited May 2016

Game of Thrones, new season, Episode 2.

Okay, I am really liking the pacing of this season.  I know not a lot happened in episode one and that it was something of a yawner, but the way it leads into episode two is very satisfying.  The story shifts from character to character with a nice fluidity, and as compared to previous recent seasons, the sense of this land's Big World feel is back.

I wasn't at all happy to see that the legless Stark kid was back with his cliche Fob powers, but I have to admit that the entire opening scene with him was beautifully shot.  I liked everything about that scene.  The thing about Hodu once being able to talk... I have this wild idea that it's gonna turn out that Hodu is some magic word or secret place or password that the legless Stark kid is gonna need to know and Hodu has simply been repeating it all this time because that's his deal.  That said, I don't expect that the legless Stark kid scenes will maintain a high quality, and I continue to blame Jamie for not killing him off in the very first episode.

As much as I'm naturally inclined to hate any religious leader imposing his beliefs upon a society, that sparrow dude's whole thing about the powerless nameless citizens overthrowing society's elite is a message I can get behind.  I mean, for reals, I really want to see all the Lancasters suffer.  They really are a bunch of bastards.

Well, except for Tyriol.  Obviously, I don't want that particular Lancaster to suffer.  And speaking of Tyriol, I FUCKING GOT EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED!!!!!!!!   I GET SCENES OF TYRIOL AND THE DRAGONS AND NO DARIA!!!!  DARIA DIDN'T EVEN APPEAR IN THIS EPISODE1!!! HOLY SHIT, I JUST NOW REALIZED THAT!  OH MAN, IT'S LIKE THE WRITERS ARE TOTALLY READING MY POSTS AND GIVING ME WHAT I WANT.... TYRIOL AND THE DRAGONS RUNNING A DARIALESS CITY!!!!!!

Not sure I know exactly what's going on with those Sea warrior people.  I know they're relatives of Theo, but the guy on the bridge that killed the old dude... was he in a previous season?  Anyways, more scenes beautifully shot.  And we're definitely seeing some of the old guard replaced by the new guard.

Speaking of which, the little maniac killed his dad and then his stepmom and kid... I'm fine with that and all.  It's a brutal world and the innocent die brutally... no surprise there.  I did rather appreciate that the maniac kid was fighting the impulse to get overwhelmed by the moment and fighting the impulse to show mercy.  He's still an evil bastard, but at least the writer's aren't going with the cackling madman cliche, which previous episodes made it seem like.

Not sure why we have to see more of Samsa again.  Nothing really important about any of that, but, whatever, the scene was brief, and again, nice pacing and beautifully shot.

I was hoping the Maxie blind beggar ninja scenes would have gone on longer... really give a sense of the passing of time as a beggar.  But I get it... there's only so many episodes and they have to get her moving on with her transformation to a nameless person (or whatever she's gonna become).  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the book has her as a beggar for a massively long time... getting her daily beating with the stick, learning to listen to voices and do without her sight... memorizing voices and names and facts and also changing her own story and persona to earn spare change and food as a beggar.

That whole thing with the Stark sister (Lisanne?)... I assume that's going somewhere.  I remember she had gotten some mentions in previous episodes.  There was one early scene, maybe even in season one, where Gustav took one of his kids (was it the kid who got murdered at his own wedding?  Or maybe it was Jon Snow) down to some underground caverns and vaults beneath Winterhaven and talked about his sister.  And then there was something else later that his sister got mentioned, maybe right before he was killed by the Lancasters.  Anyways, I assume that's gonna lead to some Big Reveal at some point in the story.

I think that's it.  All I can remember anyway.

On to episode three.

• We just officially cut the cord and are a streaming family.  The Playstation VUE app (available through FireTV) streams live TV on all the stations we really need (only real misses are no BBC America and no MLB Network).  That plus HBO Now and a couple other premium apps and we have everything we want for A LOT less than we were paying DirecTV.

Craig
  • Hadn't heard about that Craig, looks good.  We recently got a Roku, which doesn't have VUE (but does have MLB, btw).  Price to get local baseball is still a little rich for my blood though. We are getting ESPN via Sling TV - Which is cheaper, but nothing like the range of channels VUE has.
  • edited May 2016
    Wow, my not knowing anybody's name is really killing me with these flashbacks to the legless Stark kid's past.  I don't understand anything that's going on or who any of these people are.  One of them, obviously, is Gustav Stark, but the rest?  Good grief, I'm lost.

Oh, great, Daria just came back on the screen.  Guh.
  • edited May 2016
    Wait, who the hell is Rickon Stark?  And who were all those people that Maxie was naming?
  • Shit.  Jon Snow just left the night watch team.  Does this mean I won't be seeing any more awesome shots of the Wall?  I really expected that this whole season was going to be him leading the watch defenders against the white walkers.

Oh, hey, I just saw the promo for next week... I was wondering when the mayor of Baltimore was going to return.
  • edited May 2016

Burn, baby, burn.

Don't think about why the clothes burn sometimes, and sometimes not.

Why the hair burns sometimes. and sometimes not.

Cool ending to that last episode.

• I'm enjoying this season, even though there are storyline elements I'm not thrilled with.

Sherry & Jaime scenes don't have the same crispness I'm used to.  They're kind of dull in their vanilla evil presence.  Related, the queen-with-no-name (is her name Jeri?) is, thankfully, still locked away and only given a couple lines, but I'm very disappointed that her mother is being given the same dull attention to dialog that Jaime & Sherrie are being given.  I have a bad feeling that Queen Jeri's mother is going to be killed soon and that's why they're not making her character as charismatic and fun as previous seasons.

I dunno about Daria.  I'm so over her character, but I am enjoying her scenes.  It's tough to hate her completely when she's out killing asshole barbarians, yeah?

More Tyriol, please.  Can we just have an entire season of nothing but Tyriol running a city?  Is that too much to ask? (the answer to that question is a resounding "NO! It's not too much to ask!")

Theo and his sister and that city on the sea... Theo annoys me, but I do like his sister and I suppose my heart would find it touching to see them team up and take over that cool city on the sea.

The maniac kid, Kenny... is he at Snowfell or is he at the city that his dead father ruled over?  I still don't get that whole scene.  It seems like he's somewhere else, but then it seems like other characters are saying he's at the Snowfell because the Starks keep talking about re-taking their city back (THEIR city... god, spoiled brats).  I did like the actor's reaction to when that wildling chick that was protecting Rickin (oh, hey, my coworker friend who reads all these books told me that Rickin was a Stark brother and was briefly in previous seasons) said she'd seen worse when Kenny told her they didn't eat the men they flayed alive like on his insignia.  I was pretty sure she was going to die as soon as she entered the room, but then I started to think maybe he'd keep her around because she was sort of like the maniac chick that Samsa/Theo killed when they escaped.  But nope, all dead.

Oh, hey, I got confused by the thing with the Mayor of Baltimore from the Wire character returning and that kid with the big beak and the hawk... isn't that kid's mother the sister of the Stark kids?  The crazy one?  I thought they pushed that kid through the hole in the floor!  Was it the mother that got pushed?  Maybe it was the mother who died?  And who killed her?  Was it Samsa or the Mayor?  And, wait, isn't that kid supposed to be married to Samsa?  Did they get married or was it just planned or what?  Ugh, confused.

I'm gonna be disappointed if Rob and Samsa leave the wall and attack Snowfell.  I really like the whole Wall thing and the scenes are really shot well... AND, by the way, that's where the white walkers are gonna show up... hopefully SOON!

Those two dudes chasing after Daria...?  Ted and Slick?  They bore the fuck out of me.  There is absolutely no reason to have them on the screen EVER.  Boring!

I think that's it from the most recent episode.  I am enjoying this season, even if there are plenty of weak spots.  The scenery and cinematography are outstanding this season, and as I mentioned before, the pacing of each scene and, more importantly, the pacing between scenes is really well done.

/rant
  • Big Beak Kid's crazy mom was the aunt of the Stark kids (their mom's sister). She (not the kid) got pushed through the hole in the floor by Mayor Carcetti, and because crazy-mom had been threatening to kill her, Samsa lied to protect the Mayor, so he got away with it. Big Beak Kid was then taken away and is being raised elsewhere by someone, anyone, who doesn't believe in breast-feeding kids past the age of 7. There was no plan to marry Big Beak Kid and Samsa, and normally I would say that's because they're cousins, but of course incest is apparently okey-dokey in GoT-land so there was probably some other reason, like maybe she has standards.

• Yes!  Thank you!  It was killing me trying to remember his name.  It's Mayor Carcetti!

And thank you for the recap about that whole thing.  I had totally forgotten how Carcetti and Samsa went to some beautiful city run by bankers and how she got some tribunal there to believe how that whole thing with her aunt went down.  Or, at least, I think the tribunal was at a banker's city... but now that I think about it, didn't Captain No Charisma and his pirate sidekick (who's now Jon Snow's sidekick, apparently) go to a bankers city and beg for money to back his war efforts to reclaim Castle Blandings?  Or maybe both the Captain and Samsa/Carcetti both went there.  I guess it really doesn't matter at this point.

Ugh, I had totally forgotten the whole breast feeding thing.  Oh man, the way the show's writers/author find ways to expand the uses of the word "gruesome" is pretty damn impressive, even if difficult to watch.

Cheers.

P.S.  And from now on, I'm referring to him as Big Beak Kid (or BBK for short).
  • edited May 2016

made me grin:

"taken away and is being raised elsewhere by someone, anyone, who doesn't believe in breast-feeding kids past the age of 7"

Mayor Carcetti was going to take Samsa as his bride. Cuz he loved her momma and was from the south. He never had plans for beak-breast baby to have her.  His plan got all jacked up, though....by Devil Dog Eats Infants Bat Shit Crazy, right?

• GOT Spoilers - and vetching.

What is with the direwolf situation here???  The one thing this show needs more of is dragons and direwolves, but they keep doing away with them!!!  WTF!!!  They are ahead of the body count from the books by two now.  They can kill all the humans off they want but direwolves are another matter.