What are you listening to right now? (Homer Simpson Discovered Higgs Boson 14 Years Before CERN)

Comments

• @kez I can see how structurally that song would be a leap from baroque. In terms of overall feel it's to my ear smooth almost to the point of anodyne - your vivid description of the horror of listening made me think at first of something more like Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman (it's on youtube if you're feeling brave). So it was fascinating to hear that something so relatively smooth would provoke so visceral a reaction.

What I find when I move back and forth from baroque/classical to jazz is that it's as if my body has to tune in to the other rhythmic universe so that it knows how to anticipate and enjoy the rhythms of the performance. There's also the strings-led to brass-led shift in tonality, but I get the rhythmic disconnect even when it's piano both sides - I'd compare it to the feeling you have when walking along a moving walkway at the airport and getting to the end and stepping on to ordinary ground and having to adjust your stride and balance a little to avoid stumbling from the momentum.
  • @GP - well, this has been a fun and very interesting discussion.  
  • edited March 2015
    New and tremendous...I was part of the small crowd that wet night
  • Finest Hour album cover

followed by

• edited March 2015
    Aphex Twin - user 48736353001

Continuing to work through the vast archive of dumped AFX stuff.
  • Revolver

I must remember that you cannot get a Beatles album image from Amazon digital!

Found that two earlier SFJazz Collective albums are available at the usual places, except emusic. For me Google Play was the cheapest source.

• Neil Young - Landing On Water

fwiw, I find most of my images at allmusic; they might be less problematic than amazon?
  • edited March 2015
    A lot of the newer covers at Amazon doesn't work for posting or saving on your PC.

This one is from Last.fm - A good source for covers.
  • For music I find the MP3 cover at Amazon is better than the CD cover.
  • imageimage

Interesting to compare harpsichord and piano...
  • "Open Space Midnight Concert" by the prolific bassist Matt Smiley, streaming/NYOP on Bandcamp.  Playing music by Zorn and others.  Sounds great

• Various Artists - Wheedle's Groove: Seattle's Finest in Funk & Groove 1965-75

I'm very happy that Light in the Attic joined up on Drip.FM.
  • @thom - They did!?!  How did I miss that?

The Blueprint (Explicit Version)
    Craig

• cafreema said:

@thom - They did!?!  How did I miss that?

Probably because I've been derelict in my duties of updating the Drip thread. Their catalog is truly awesome, and I now have 2 Roky Erickson albums in my collection thanks to them. Well worth it.
  • Yeah, I'm totally signing up with them.

Really wish I could get down to Austin for the 13th Floor Elevators reunion (without Stacy, of course).  Seeing Roky last year was so freakin' awesome.

Craig
  • Roky Erickson - Don't Slander Me

:)

The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms
  • Dean Blunt - Black Metal
  • Bach: clavier bien tempéré livre 1Bach, J.S.: Well-Tempered Clavier (The)
    @PaulR, it's hard enough comparing piano and piano...
  • edited March 2015

NYOP. Sounds kinda like how that cover looks.
This discussion has been closed.