What are you listening to right now? (Homer Simpson Discovered Higgs Boson 14 Years Before CERN)

Comments

• edited May 2015

Tuluum Shimmering

In The Grove The Moon Is Drowned With Stars

• Coleman Hawkins, various tracks from a cheap compilation. I've been warming to Hawkins.
    On my way to England. (Well, technically I am on my way, at the moment I am sitting still for 5 hours because they couldn't close the door on the first plane and so I missed a connection...) I might not be able to put in as much anti-spam diligence for a little while, though I know others have been deleting too.
  • Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsies
  • David Rosenboom - Zones of Influence

Rewards repeated listening
  • edited May 2015
    Free from Records on Ribs, a netlabel previously unknown to me.

Picture of Surfacing  
    - "Surfacing is the startling self-titled debut album from this exciting Nottingham band. Across five tracks of crackling electronics and insistent beats it hints at presences beneath everyday perceptions: uncanny temporalities and violent becomings that threaten to disrupt life – the ‘horrors’ that society tries to suppress, but which will necessarily triumph one day.

On the cover is Francesco Salviati’s depiction of karios readying his arrow. For the Greeks, kairos referred to the concept of eventful time: a time pregnant with all other times; a time that interrupts the linear flow of chronos. . . . .

. . . .Surfacing was made using Ableton Live, vocals, contact microphones, frying pan, samples, melodica, kalimba and Korg Monotron. It was mastered by Joe Caithness at Subsequent Mastering, Nottingham (Peverelist, Bass Clef, Soft Walls, Geiom)."

Records on Ribs @ Emusic

• U2 - Zooropa
  • Nils Frahm - Solo
  • edited May 2015
    Bozzini Quartet - Nicole Lizée’s Hitchcock Etudes

ETA:
  • The Scarlatti is £34.86 for me dang. I think I ended up ordering the last Brilliant Classics recommendation from Amazon UK. Without wishing to open a can of worms this stupid pricing without caps must hurt Emu badly. I'm not sure if it's just my luck being in the UK or the grandfathered account or a mix of both that kills the deals for me.
    In Absentia
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
    Then
    Scarlatti: Sonatas album cover

An unusual set this, in that (for $5.84 on emusic) you get 5 disks of Scarlatti sonatas played on 5 different instruments. Fun to compare.

• Luiz Bonfá - Solo In Rio, 1959
  • Days With Dr. Yen Lo [Explicit]
    Dr. Yen Lo - Days With Dr. Yen Lo

Usually after Soundset I need to take a hip hop break for a week or two.  That doesn't appear to be the case this year.

Craig
  • Bruce Springsteen -  Winterland Night 1978
  • GFOTY - Cake Mix
  • Skullflower - Carved Into Roses
  • Radiohead - Amnesiac
  • edited May 2015
    @djh, there are upsides and downsides both ends. It's basically per-track pricing or per-album pricing. In the UK you still have per track, which means albums with many tracks become very expensive but albums with few tracks become an absolute steal. When we still had per track pricing here in the U.S. I made an absolute killing on prog rock, post-rock and ambient albums that had a handful of 20-minute-plus tracks. Now that we have per-album pricing these albums are more expensive - but big box sets often become a steal. I agree it would make sense for emusic to handle box sets differently since they seem intended by the distributor to be sold at a bulk bargain price, but I don't think music staff actually have much if anything to do with pricing individual albums, so creating exceptions might cost more in labor than they are willing or able to invest.
  • edited May 2015
    Freshly grabbed:
    Athana = the Norwegian guiarist and composer Alf Terje Hana
  • edited May 2015

Then

• WITCH (We Intend To Cause Havoc) - Introduction

Simeon Ten Holt: Complete Multiple Piano Works 
  • Flaming Lips - Embryonic
    Beat Spacek » Modern Streets (Deluxe Version)
  • Hell Can Wait [Explicit]

Sooooo good on Sunday.  One of the best sets of the day.

Craig
    Nao » February 15
  • @Lowlife - sorry for slow response! Chelsea Flower Show, Bank Holiday, Grandchildren etc!! Yes, I like it. I got it because I had a few credits I wanted to use quickly before they disappeared, with little time to do search for anything else. Like all such albums, I prefer some of the remixes more than others, but yes I think it is a least worth a listen.

Highway 61 Revisited

This discussion has been closed.