Computer help?

1235»

Comments

• I went over to Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago. The only problems so far are that I can't seem to get emusic downloader to link with Chrome, although it is fine with Edge, and that the computer always goes to whoever used it last at start up, rather than giving us a choice. I am sure I can work that one out with a bit of time. I've been using a paid version of AVG but the license is coming to an end soon, so interesting to hear what others say
  • I don't use Win10 but here are the anti-virus type apps I use (which I think should work with 10 and Chrome):

Virus protection - Microsoft Security Essentials

OS-monitor - WinPatrol

Scanning - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Browser protection - Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

Hope some of that helps. On a related note the firewall I use is TinyWall

Best of luck....
  • Sorry @Doofy didn't see your earlier post. I'm with you - still avoiding Win 10. I'm in the camp that doesn't like the lack of privacy. I'm old school and think that the OS and what I do with it are my concern. The fact that many of these "features" won't turn off even when you set it that way, means that I'm not likely to use Win11 either.
  • dataGuy said:
    . . . I'm with you - still avoiding Win 10.
    Me too . . . thanks for the info, it makes me even more reluctant.

Avoiding mainly because I heard that the Windows Media Center is not within the 10.
    - I use WMC to run my TV tuner and I'm too lazy to find out if it can replace it with something else.
  • edited March 2016

greg said:
    The only problems so far are that I can't seem to get emusic downloader to link with Chrome
    The Emu DLM is not working for me either in Crome ( in WIN 8 or whatever the previous version is called.)
    - Firefox is handling the DLM perfectly.

As far as I remember there was some discussion on the other board about Crome no longer was supporting plugins like the DLM.
  • Thanks BN - I'll try Firefox
  • edited March 2016
    Welcome,
    Maybe I should have mentioned that I had to fiddle around with the settings to make it work. (I can't remember what I did.)

I've been using a paid version of AVG but the license is coming to an end soon, so interesting to hear what others say

I use the free version of Avira and it seems to be doing the job.

- But my opinion in matters like this is not very reliable.  ;)

• edited March 2016
    @greg I can't tell from your description but maybe you have run into the bug I found.

Check your folder where the eMu downloads are stored. You will see a bunch of temporary files named 0(1).emx, 0(2).emx...0(97).emx, 0(98).emx, etc. Once you get to 0(100).emx, windows will no longer rename the temp files and the download manager gets stuck. The fix is easy just periodically delete the old temp files; you don't need them. Actually the download manager should be doing that but that is a different issue. I reported all this to the eMu support but since they believe all customers are stupid they never attempted to understand what I was saying.

Don't know if that is the issue you are having or not but it is worth checking.

Note: Just checked my folder and I'm up to 0(50).emx already and I cleared out my temp files in Nov. I also shared this info with the poor souls at eMu.
  • edited March 2016
    Also I'm guessing by now you have read their support tips about chrome but if not, you might want to review them. Also wouldn't hurt to make sure your chrome is up to date.
  • edited March 2016
    @greg I just tested the download using the daily free file. It worked find using Win7, DLM 6 and chrome. Which does imply that it is likely something on your end or something Win10 specific.
  • Many thanks dataguy. I've been reading through all the stuff on the help pages and trying a few things. I now seem to be linking in to an old version of download manager - version 4 I think, but it is getting nowhere too. I've got to go out very soon so I'll continue later. I'd blame it all on installing Windows 10 a few weeks ago if I hadn't successfully downloaded after then!
  • @greg if what you are experiencing lets you retry the downloads to no avail, definitely check into the the emx temp file bug.
  • edited March 2016
    Thx @dataGuy ...deleting those temp files solves a problem that just emerged recently.  I also found that I could simply go in an open the latest emx file manually. I think this is happening (so far) only on one machine/one version of DLM.

Mbam is indispensible, and saved my life last year when I dumbly DL'd some freeware. But lately it's using a ton of resources in the morning, slowing my office machine to a crawl. I thought maybe it was a conflict with AVG, but apparently not.  May try to uninstall/reinstall...
  • @Doofy yes, you definitely don't want two different programs actively scanning at the same time. I only use Malwarebytes manually.
  • Downloading is working fine for me with Chrome.
  • FWIW, my previously reported problems with Windows 10 turned out to be a motherboard going bad.

Replaced the motherboard and situation normal, Windows 10 still sux but at least it works as designed. 

Windows 10 is a giant beta test, same as Windows 8 and XP but I would still upgrade again if given a choice but it is full of minor annoyances.  For example, every update toggles off the audible alarm for my caps lock key. 

So when I accidentally hit the caps lock button I don't know it and I have to toggle it back on again.  Why Microsoft, why?
  • What angers me the most is, the Microsoft update KB3035583 keeps getting "unhidden". That's the update that installs the "upgrade to windows 10" nag.

Pfffffbt. Way to attract more derision & ridicule, Microsoft!

• I am looking at buying a new computer. One retailer suggested having a smaller solid state drive, with external drives only for, e.g., music and photoes. Does anyone operate this kind of system? How have you got on with it? 
  • SSDs are nice, and music/photos aren't all that dynamic or read-intensive, so the recommendation makes sense imo. I have a macbook with a wallet-sized 2TB external, velcro-taped to the cover and constantly attached via usb cable. Works pretty well.
  • I like the SSD on my laptop. Quicker startup/shutdown of system and programs, remembering state between sessions. I don't use that machine for storage though so have not coupled it with externals.
  • SSDs are wonderful - the best thing for performance since multi-core CPUs, and reliable for me.  I keep my media on a file server, but external drives seem to be a reasonable option.

If you are looking at desktops, I have really been liking the small form factor systems, because I fool myself in believing they increase the size of my desk.  An Intel NUC model, for instance, typically comes without memory, drive and OS so it is a minor DIY proposal.
  • edited January 2017
    I've replaced two traditional hard drives with SSD. Breathed new life into otherwise aging (2011) and ancient (2007) Mac products. They also use less energy, which makes them great for laptops, etc. and run less hot. The price is slowly coming down, but the speed and projected life spans make up for the cost per GB. 
  • Picking up on @Germanprof 's Windows 10 issue the other day, I realized that Win10 turns off System Restore by default. Which seems kind of goofy - Why would that be, do you suppose?

Anyway, I turned mine on, as discussed in this article: https://www.tekrevue.com/how-to-enable-system-restore-windows-10/. They make the point that this gives you an option when (inevitably) there's an automatic system update that messes things up.
  • edited June 2017
    I see that article is from 2015... I just checked and my System Restore is set to On after I just did a PC Reset, and I did not turn it on myself, so maybe they changed that? I don;t remember manually turning it on before either, but I guess it's possible that I did so at some point in the past and the reinstallation of windows inherited it? Either way, it did not help with my crash and was not presented to me as an option when I was recovering from it. Can't hurt to have it on though.
  • OK, major milestone this week with this music collection. Back around Thanksgiving (!), I started doing something about the slowness of access to my iTunes library. It consisted of upgrading the external drives and pretty much starting from scratch. Starting with 16 TB of external empty space, I began methodically transferring music from other drives I had around the house. After I’d transfer a chunk, I’d run software to get rid of any duplicates or “dead” items (tunes that weren’t really there or “broken"). I’d also run software that checked spelling to get band/people names right, and other software that adjusted the average volume of each tune so that it would play as it should sound. So, after dumping and sifting thru multiple drives, I can say that not only does it run much smoother (after “cleanings” after each chunk of audio was transferred), but it seems to be cleared of much of the tune detritus that accumulated over time. Of course, I still have music that’s NOT on drives that’ll always be added (I’m looking at a stack of about 75 titles on the floor right now), but regular upkeep - once a month software scans, for instance - should probably keep things running smoother. Just a note to say that where there's a strong, patient will, there's definitely a way to approach the "insurmountable."

Random Radio:

http://172.125.0.188:8000/listen.m3u