Do we have a thread for television shows

Comments

• Taboo has had major publicity here, broadcast on BBC1 at peak time at the weekend. I have recorded it but not watched it so far as we have been out both times it was on.
  • Music City Roots - Live From The Factory is a Nashville based music series I catch intermittently on local PBS stations, usually very late at night - thanks to DVR - hosted by Jim Lauderdale that features the well known and less well known across a pretty broad swath of Americana.  Just watched a recent episode and if you have any interest in the ukelele you have to search out Jake Shimabukuro who I was totally impressed with - he was doing one of his standards, his cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps -wow is all I can say.  He's big on YouTube apparently, and he's on eMusic, as is another band they had Steelism, a combo with a passion for '60's style instrumental music but with a pedal steel added to the mix. 
  • Yesssssssssss on Taboo.
    If just for the haunting theme music.
  • edited February 2017
    They're not the first to use that same C-D#-G-G#-G spooky-waltz progression in the main theme, though:

Even Danny Elfman got in on it, though he did a better job of making it into an original:

• For those in the UK BBC's Arena: American Epic, telling the stories of the pioneers of American roots music, is currently available on the iPlayer - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rnyq1 (next week or so).

Looks as if it has also been broadcast on PBS, so I expect it is available from other sources. Also see http://www.americanepic.com/

•  I know we have one or two Luther fans here. It has just been announced that another three episodes will be made early in 2018 for transmission later in the year. Also, for amc2 and others, the Downton film is on the cards, they are trying to find a time when the whole cast can be available for filming.
  • That last Luther episode wasn't promising for future ones.  I mean, the story arc was fine, I guess, and I enjoyed the new episodes, but that "new Alice" character they introduced in the final episode... ewwww, like a yucky sort of cliche. Not at all compelling and shit.  Hopefully the new episodes will run with a fresh start.  I also would not object to some unrealistic plot twist where Alice returns.  Because she's the best.
  • For those with access to the BBC, Count Arthur Strong's 3rd series is a belter,

• I saw the first episode of Dirtbag last night. Man, I hope the rest keep to a similar level of quality.  I really enjoyed how whatshername speaks directly at the viewer, especially how she used that third-person authorial voice in the opening scene.  Also enjoy how the character's "flaws" are both comic and tragic, and she seems to be vulnerable to both attributes.
  • I believe you're referring to Fleabag. "Dirtbag" is the name of the upcoming series about the Great Global Vacuum Cleaner Conspiracy of the late 20th Century, which should be dropping sometime this Fall.
  • I don't vacuum. I don't even believe in the existence of vacuums. I think they are imaginary and invented by people who are against cats so they can say to me, "why don't you vacuum the cat hair off your floor?" They say there's a vacuum in space, but if that were true, then all the stars would get sucked up by it and there would be nothing but darkness.  Well, there'd be spaceships, too. Maybe they could help light up the sky. I wonder if the spaceships started the whole vacuum conspiracy in the first place.  That sounds like something aliens would do. Is the Great Global Vacuum Cleaner Conspiracy of the late 20th Century going to be on Netflix or Amazon Prime? Oh, hey, speaking of Amazon Prime, I really enjoyed the first episode of Fleabag.
  • Yeah, vacuums suck.
  • Y'all are killing me! Vacuums do NOT suck.

Glad to see the mention of Fleabag - I put it on a list, maybe I'll get to it sooner than later, now.

• We had the last episode of the current Dr Who series on Saturday. I won't spoil it but if you are a Dr Who fan you need to see it
  • Greg, it was very good indeed, next episode is Xmas
  • Totally agree
  • Fleabag was funny/sad, binged watched it.

Now I'm on to Black Mirror, not sure if that's been mentioned.

• GOT Season 7 premiere - No Spoilers.  Was a little catchy-uppy for me, which I suppose is necessary to an extent, although it had moments.  My favorite was the opener - give yourself bonus points for paying attention if you figured it out before a certain wedding was mentioned - "Is this a prequel or.......". 
  • It was a bad episode because Tyriol didn't have a real part.  Also, Daria is still alive, inexplicably.

But other than that, it was cool.  I liked the Aria bit for sure.  I also like that dead fish god king guy.  The actor really seems into his role of unapologetic asshole, so I'm looking forward to more of that.  The scene with the big man librarian was pretty funny, though then it got sort of lame.  Need more scenes at the wall.  How can you not like that bad-ass tween queen?  God, I hope they don't spend a lot of time focusing on Dog.  Or the spirit of fire god, either.  BORING.  I thought the interactions between Jon Snow and Samsa were well done.  I feel like the writers really found their stride with Jon Snow's character season before last.  Hopefully they'll do the same with Samsa.

I think that's it.

P.S.  Just watched the first episode of the final season of The Leftover.  Like, wtf, man?
  • not many spoilers ahead-

BigD, yes there's really only one wedding isn't there? I called it before the choking started.

Ahem, Jonah.  Tyriol got quoted by teen queen. That makes him have a HUGE part.

"I also like that dead fish god king guy. The actor really seems into his role of unapologetic asshole, so I'm looking forward to more of that."

My friend & I refer to him as Urine, not Euron.  Bend the knee and do the same!Bwahahahahaha.

Can't wait to see more of Arya & her direwolf!

ah, hope Tivo has Leftovers! Big storms & power outages here, I'm left behind.

• OK, if you are not watching  Claws on the TNT Network you are totally missing it.

My favorite character is "Uncle Daddy" a proudly bisexual,Catholic, manic depressive, southern crime boss, and somehow he's not even the star of the show.

They've got some real sick puppies writing for this show.
  • edited November 2018
    For anyone who lives in the UK, or who has access to BBC iPlayer,  there was a great programme on on Sunday evening called Jazzology. It was basically a potted history of jazz, but trying to demystify jazz too. It ended with some of the rising stars of the UK jazz scene, who claim they are just musicians. One of the interesting things about them is that their musical influences include linking back to West Africa, where, of course, the slaves came from who were the origin of jazz and blues. A fascinating programme if you get the chance to watch.
  • Was just thinking of this thread yesterday, so game on.  Anyone who enjoyed The Night Manager with Tom Hiddleston might also like a new show from the same folks - The Little Drummer Girl, based on the John Le Carre novel (he is one of the executive producers I noticed).  Gritty, violent at times, very tense - really quite enjoyable.  We DVR'd it and still have the third and last part to watch, but thumbs way up so far.  Was on the AMC channel.
  • edited November 2018
    It is on the BBC at the moment, well worth watching. For us it has been split into six one hour episodes (no advert breaks!) with the final one on Sunday. Still not sure how it will go, will certainly be watching on Sunday evening.
  • edited March 2019
    Documentaries (mostly on Amazon Prime) are a big thing for us lately, most are history or music themed and in the latter I would highly recommend "Blood, Frets and Tears" on guitar and guitar players, mostly rockers.  Lots of tidbits to be had, including the serpentine introduction of one Edward Van Halen to the idea of two-handed tapping he made the rage on his first Van Halen album.  Good stuff for guitar freaks but I think anybody with an interest in rock would enjoy it.  Looking forward to new seasons of GOT and Killing Eve coming soon.
  • edited March 2019
    Line of Duty 5 starts in the UK next Sunday. If you haven't seen this it is well worth searching out earlier series and watching. Basically it is about a police standards department following up internal crimes (very short summary of complex plots). There is even a common thread through all the series so far
  • Greg, so looking forward to this, the last series was so gripping
  • edited March 2019
    Yes, Lowlife, it is definitely the thing to watch at the moment. It might even change the topic of conversations for many people from the usual not to be mentioned word!! 
  • Jeff Beck fans - if you get the chance see Jeff Beck - Still On The Run.  It's on Showtime right now.  Really good documentary from the Yardbird days to the present and all his phases.  Good interviews, great clips - only problem is you'll want to listen to the albums, soon.  The story of how Jeff and Jimmy Page met as spotty English youths (yes, that's a quote from Spinal Tap - there's a shot of Jeff playing Because We've Ended As Lovers on a Telecaster where the hair is just like Nigel, and you should remember that in the airport scene Nigel is reading a hot rod magazine) was quite interesting.  I knew they were friends but not that they'd really been mates.  Good stuff, good music.
  • God, FINALLY! Can't believe it took that long to finish her off.

LONG LIVE TYRIOL!!!