Emusic Beta

Comments

• I can confirm @djh with respect to the "My Music" folder, I have split albums but also a bunch of missing tracks on purchases. A few examples:

UFO, The Decca Years, purchased April 2017 (22 tracks, 6 in My Music)
    Seth Swirsky, Circles and Squares, purchased March 2017 (16 tracks, 3 in My Music)
    The Creation, Action Painting, purchased March 2017 (46 tracks, 6 in My Music)
    Blue Rodeo, 1000 Arms, purchased February 2017 (12 tracks, 1 in My Music)

It's not a huge deal for me because I have everything downloaded with multiple backups (knocking on wood) but it's certainly true. I complained once to eMusic CS when I was still a member and they apologized but said there was nothing they could do about it.
  • Maybe labels and artists aren't the only ones not getting paid... maybe they stopped paying to back-up their cloud storage.  ;-)    (Seriously, it makes no sense that they would say "there's nothing we can do about it").   If they are offering cloud storage, they should have both a backup/restore mechanism, and an indexing/archiving method that can confirm what music is stored there.   That's ESPECIALLY true when you purchased the music from eMusic to begin with, because they would clearly have some record of the transaction if they actually archived such things.    They tend to go with the "Sorry, that label isn't here anymore so there is nothing we can do about it", but that is sort of a clever misdirection.  If they were properly backing up their servers they could always do something about it.     This is Darwanism, Corporate Edition.
  • Sweet! Glad to hear it! And hopefully, get to the 98% of the music world that's now outside of the eMusic catalogue.
  • Muggsy said:
    I can confirm @djh with respect to the "My Music" folder, I have split albums but also a bunch of missing tracks on purchases. A few examples:

UFO, The Decca Years, purchased April 2017 (22 tracks, 6 in My Music)
    Seth Swirsky, Circles and Squares, purchased March 2017 (16 tracks, 3 in My Music)
    The Creation, Action Painting, purchased March 2017 (46 tracks, 6 in My Music)
    Blue Rodeo, 1000 Arms, purchased February 2017 (12 tracks, 1 in My Music)

It's not a huge deal for me because I have everything downloaded with multiple backups (knocking on wood) but it's certainly true. I complained once to eMusic CS when I was still a member and they apologized but said there was nothing they could do about it.
    Thanks for the confirmation @Muggsy . The more I think about it life seems too short to fret about these things, and I (we) are blessed with so much music... If I worry about this I should also worry about all the books both physical and (especially) Kindle that I've bought but not read etc etc.
  • Ingen tilgngelig billedbeskrivelse

Oh ! - so that's what bitcoins is all about . . . :)

• I like that BN!! Welcome HelloCthulhu - I've read many of your posts at the subreddit. I've never bothered to sign up there, but just occasionally lurk to see what is going on. Emusers is far friendly ?
  • djhdjh
    edited February 2019
    Having trouble downloading a purchase at the moment and Emu support admit to there being a problem with the site. Has this affected anyone else?

My d/l at least now working some 12 hours after the initial problem. Let's see what happens with my remaining credits. Also. Funny how the tech guy(s) tell you how to do the most basic thing (try and d/l from the your music page 3 horizontal bars) when in all probabilty you are more familiar with the system than they are due to having been a customer for 10-15 years or whatever ;)
  • That's been happening to me also. I couldn't download anything the last 2 weekends. I blamed it on Trump and then the Super Bowl. They would add to My Music but the preparing for download would run on forever. Just before lunch on the Mondays they started to download again. It's been buggy ever since this new downloading feature started up. Everything seems to take 2 clicks to move back.
  • I had that issue over the weekend.  They said try doing individual tracks - by the time I tried again, the zip file worked.

• Thanks @confused and @stewrat Yes the d/l has always taken longer on Beta for me and just this week I noticed the 2 clicks to go back "feature". Still almost used my credit up, chiefly thanks to the per track monster that is Kompakt's Total 18.
  • That is the case for me as well. "Jason" is looking into it...for the last week.
  • Plong42 said:
    That is the case for me as well. "Jason" is looking into it...for the last week.
    Y'all are making me feel privilaged.
  • Sometime today they must have flipped a switch, downloads are working once again.
  • Plong42 said:
    Sometime today they must have flipped a switch, downloads are working once again.
    I put in a word for you o:)
  • @djh - thanks, I am now "enjoying my membership again."  In a related note, has anyone ever tried to change your email address on eMu? I do not think you can, I had to have tech support do it.
  • I did about five years ago, I think I got technical support to do it then
  • eMusic in the news for all the wrong reasons...

From Digital Music News, in an article about crypto scams involving rap artists, for which eMusic is mentioned towards the end of the article:

Last March, a federal grand jury in New York indicted the company’s (CentraTech's) three co-founders – Sorhab Sharma, Raymond Trapani, and Robert Flakes – for defrauding investors in a $60 million ICO scheme.

Following the indictments, the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) undertook an investigation. The SEC then found that Khaled had received $50,000 to heavily promote Centra Tech’s ICO. Mayweather had received $100,000. Khaled and Mayweather had pushed followers on Facebook and Instagram to back the ICO.

Regulators in the US had previously warned digital tokens could fall under federal securities laws.

Now, both have reached an agreement with the SEC.

Under the deal, Mayweather will pay the federal government $300,000 in disgorgement. He’ll also pay an additional $300,000 in penalties and $14,700 in interest. Mayweather had promoted two other ICOs in addition to Centra Tech.

Khaled will disgorge $50,000 and pay an additional penalty of $100,000 along with $2,700 in interest. And Ghostface Killah’s CREAM cryptocurrency has already plunged 96.3% since January, though we’re not sure if anything fraudulent has occurred. Elsewhere, 50 Cent was found to be lying about his ‘accidental’ bitcoin earnings, which was enough to raise SEC interest.

But rappers aren’t the only guilty parties. Earlier this year, embattled digital retailer platform eMusic announced an overly ambitious initial coin offering (ICO). The company wants to raise $70 million.

Then, a report revealed that eMusic has failed to pay artists and labels. Sony’s The Orchard pulled its catalog from the service last summer, publicly lambasting the company.

Executives have remained notoriously quiet as they seek to meet an overly-ambitious price tag without first settling the company’s debt with the music industry.

• Sadly, not surprised at all. I suspect eMusic will end up on the scrap heap with other more-or-less fondly remembered digital music sites (Amie Street, Lala, Guvera, etc). The only question is how long the death spiral will continue.
  • It has already lasted longer than I thought it would!
  • My view is that 2018 is the year eMusic died.    They have been in decline since TriPlay bought the company (well, let's say an accelerated decline following that acquisition), but last year was the year they officially seemed to give up on their core business, stopped paying their bills, let the catalogue decline to table scraps, and stopped even making an effort to retain leaving subscribers.   Since they aren't paying royalties, they may be able to linger in their apocalyptic zombie state a while longer, but that makes them no less dead from my perspective.   I find it fascinating that subscribers on the eMu reddit page keep asking when the catalogue will be restored.  Uh, it won't.   They've said that every way possible short of coming right out and saying it (which they won't do lest they spook the alt-coin speculators they keep chasing but never catching...)

They all but say they have exited the retail business in their white paper, and want to reinvent themselves as a blockchain distributor and "community label".    I seriously doubt they'll succeed in that endeavor, but, even if they do succeed to reinvent themselves, the old eMusic is dead and gone and not coming back.

• edited February 2019
    Agreed soulcoal! There is minimal left compared to what it used to be, it is no longer the eMusic we all loved a few years back. In some ways, I wish it would just die and be over with. There are a few scraps left - having come back after my latest hold ended, I downloaded a Miguel Zenon album yesterday. I'm waiting for a new album on Brownswood in early March, amazingly still there. But I've found difficulty spending just £10 this month. Once I've got that I will be gone again.
  • edited February 2019
    Well, they have to run out of money at some point.  I think they are hanging on by a thread in hopes that the magic pile of beans that is their ICO/reverse ICO push will suddenly appear and save them.   But "save them" would mean their new blockchain project, not a restoration of their catalogue.   

If you follow the bread crumbs left by their CEO in his countless interviews promoting the blockchain, he has declared (1) retail is dead in the music industry, (2) Spotify is doomed, and (3) his blockchain project will be the savior of the industry.  Ironically, he looks to be wrong on all three points, but stubborn pride appears to be leading eMusic to keep doubling down and tripling down on those assertions, driving what's left of eMusic into the ground along the way.
  • My hold ran out last month, with my £10 credited as expected. It was due to refresh yesterday 22 February. When I checked yesterday morning it was not there, not altogether unexpected, given the time difference, but I did expect it to be there today, but it is not. It may be totally insignificant, but it might be indicative of something else. Time will tell. These days I like to spend credit fairly quickly.
  • djhdjh
    edited February 2019
    greg said:
    My hold ran out last month, with my £10 credited as expected. It was due to refresh yesterday 22 February. When I checked yesterday morning it was not there, not altogether unexpected, given the time difference, but I did expect it to be there today, but it is not. It may be totally insignificant, but it might be indicative of something else. Time will tell. These days I like to spend credit fairly quickly.
    I’ve got the opposite problem. Just back from Seville yesterday and only checked emusic after reading your post. I’ve just rolled over into another £84 credit (costing £39.99). I’m sure it used to do the roll over on the 27th by Callander month not 30 days. Oh well makes me really feel like kicking them into touch once I find a way to use this credit...
  • Well that's it after I'm not sure how many years (see below) I've pulled the plug on Emusic. The last straw was having yet another album newly prurchased have a faulty track. (Be warned that the opening track Dick Cheney on Mark Deutrom's Brief Sensuality & Western Violence will cut off 5 minutes into its 20 minute duration.) Should I have to go to Emusic help continuously? No. I will be keeping an eye on my bank account this month because quite frankly I don't trust them. I realised that the only thing keeping me was being scared of losing by great Grandfathered plan and wanting to come back later when my nerve failed. If you chose to cancel there is a note saying that if you couldn't find what you wanted right now they plan to increase content in the next 1-2 months, so why not just go on hold? I saw that lie and it made my mind up for me. Current mood? Strangely liberated. My Emusic 2004-2019. RIP.
  • I've just been to the iTunes store for the first time in many months. Looking at the Jazz section it made me realise again just how much I'm (we are) missing without the old eMusic - new releases from the Smoke Sessions series and from ACT, for example. Even though ACT is still available it hasn't been updated in months. I could go on. I think it really is time I forgot about downloading and go more into streaming, but old habits die hard!
  • They have basically now started to beg me to come back and say I can still do things which I couldn't which is why I left. Ah Um as Mingus once said. Oh and I've found that I'm not a streaming person and after a few years of wasting a further £10/month have kicked the evil Spotify into touch as well. If I do want to stream then there are always interesting playlists on You Tube and of course if you like nasty mp3 rips there are ways of getting them.
  • edited March 2019
    greg said:
     I think it really is time I forgot about downloading and go more into streaming, but old habits die hard!
    Yeah, but I don't think I will ever get used to it . . .
    I have access to a free streaming service through my internet provider (Yousee)
    I think they are married to Spotify.
    I've found a lot of the missing labels from Emusic here, such as New World, Innova, Dacapo and ECM.
    - But I hardly ever use it.

As far as Emusic is concerned, there's still a lot for me to go for, for at least the next 6 months
    (Sub Rosa, Bedroom Community etc.)
  • edited March 2019
    I just discovered some crucial labels departed in the last few days, at least for the US. Bigo & Twigetti, Enja, Off... @Brighternow, I notice that Sub Rosa and Bedroom Community are gone too. These were the last remaining canaries in the coal mine for me--I put my account on hold immediately, with a note in my calendar to cancel in 90 days unless something miraculous happens. Because I'm optimistic. No, because I hate change.

• I just discovered some crucial labels departed in the last few days, at least for the US. Bigo & Twigetti, Enja, Off... @Brighternow, I notice that Sub Rosa and Bedroom Community are gone too. These were the last remaining canaries in the coal mine for me--I put my account on hold immediately, with a note in my calendar to cancel in 90 days unless something miraculous happens. Because I'm optimistic. No, because I hate change.

Yeah, a lot of labels have suddenly disappeared without warning.

And my annual subscription just renewed a few days ago. Is there any legal option for me to cancel the renewal now? I fear Emusic won't be there, at least as we knew it, within a few month's time.