Well that may be the end of eMu for me.

Comments

• I can’t find a single album that’s available tonight. I’ve tried on my phone, on Chrome and MS Edge. I’ve tried links from here that were available recently, I’ve tried all the things they’re selling in the front end. Everything, everything, says not available. Is anybody else seeing this?
  • Yes, It happens ever so often  :#
  • Oh it worked! I sent them a cancel email and they emailed back that they fixed it. I wonder if I’m cancelled now or not?
  • I'm pretty sure that response from Kenny (their standard "next month will be the turning point when content will return" message) has an unfortunate correlation to an assumption that their long-delayed ICO process will finally fund in the next few weeks (meaning they will reach the $20M soft cap limit needed to release funds).  

Unfortunately, we've heard this before and it hasn't happened because, let's be honest, who is investing in eMU coins or any alt-coins in 2019?   First they said the soft cap would be hit by end of 2018.  Then by March.  Then someone posted in the eMusic reddit  that word has gotten out in the Telegram forum that the soft cap deadline has been pushed back to May.     I just don't see how they could turn any major distributors back on with out a major influx of cash (and, even then, would they use the funds to pay past bills, or find some lavish new way to spend money promoting the blockchain project?), so I suspect the "Believe will be back by end of April" dream is tied to the "ICO will fund any day" dream.

• edited April 2019
    Billedresultat for soft cap
    Ah! . . . so that's what a soft cap is about . . . what would one do without Google ?
    - And they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes  . . .  :)
  • Hand it over to Captain Mannering!?
  • Hand it over to Captain Mannering!?

Captain George Mainwaring - sorry to be a pedant but Dad's Army is important! (Well y'know...) Pronounced Mannering in that annoying English way we have.
  • And to think I grew up in England watching Dad's Army! Shame on me!
  • And to think I grew up in England watching Dad's Army! Shame on me!
    Hey I had to Google to double check I'd got it right! You've got me thinking that you could re-cast Dad's Army in terms of politicians and our current Brexit mess...
  • Re djh's comments:

"Don't panic, don't panic!!"

You have to be British and a certain age to understand....

(I almost typed English not British, then remembered something I read that Leavers predominantly refer to themselves as English, and Remainers tend to use British!)
  • Occasionally I look at the eMusic subreddit page to see what's going on with eMusic. Interesting to note that it seems to be well over a week since anyone made a comment there. Indicative of the lack of interest any longer?
  • There is just not much to say these days.   No updates from eMusic, and, as noted by many here, there are still a handful of interesting things, but nothing to drive lots of traffic.   I've even noticed a slowdown in traffic/posts here, particularly in certain genres where eMu has very little left (jazz and classical come to mind... alt/indie and electronic still have a handful of meaningful labels, and that seems to be driving most posts here)
  • edited May 2019
    Why I put myself through this, I honestly don't know, but I browsed through the jazz new releases section and it's even more brutal than when I did the same thing, I dunno, six month ago(?).

I scanned through eight pages.  I would've gone further simply out of morbid curiosity, but the selections ended at eight.  There were some pages that were nothing but awful royalty-free comps with titles like "perfect couple jazz" and "music for coffee drinking" and "jazz for romantic nights."  There weren't more than five albums on those eight pages that would've gotten a brief listen to the samples just to see if it was worth looking into them.  DOX Records keeps putting singles up from time to time (not sure if they follow up with full albums).  There's one release from Songlines. The distributor/label Jazz Engine had one album up (a duo featuring the excellent Emanuel Maniscalco).  Jazz Engine is associated with Auand Records, which should be familiar to most of you.  I saw one release from Art As Catharsis, which is either a seriously avant-garde label or a mellow world-jazz label (I forget exactly, but I do recognize them from my inbox as someone who sent me something worth giving a listen to).  But that was pretty much it.  That's some pretty embarrassing shit, I tell ya.

It's like when you get to a brick & mortar's going out of business sale on the last day, and the shelves have all been cleaned out by people who smartly hit the sale in the first days rather than procrastinate for the last.  As someone who became an eMusic customer, like, ten years ago(?), eight(?), it's unfathomable what that sight has turned into.  I don't ever need to indulge my curiosity again with that site.
  • httpsd2htg16wag384pcloudfrontneteMusicrestcataloggetReleaseCoverreleaseId207577344width400

Personal favorite of last week's royalty-free jazzy tinkles. Apparently people search Spotify for jazz when they are having sex or coffee (or both, I guess)
  • edited May 2019
    @Doofy -if they are searching Spotify for jazz when they are having sex, they are doing it wrong...
  • Today I finally pulled the plug, after 14 years. I'd just come back yesterday after a three-month hold ended and decided to download a few items on my Save for Later list, only to discover that they'd recently vanished too (I'd checked last week, but should have checked the day before my hold ended). I did eventually find some good stuff to use up the rest of my credits, but it's just not fun anymore.
  • Soulcoal has put a post on the Emusic Subreddit about 7-Digital's problems. If they go under I cannot see eMusic continuing, as that is the source of their music. I'm going to check if there is still anything at eMusic I want whilst it is still there
  • I've just been looking at eMusic for half an hour. There are things that I could download, but nothing that I will miss if I don't get them. On the opposite side there is a lot of music that I would have downloaded if the same labels and artists (plus maybe others unknown to me) were there now that were there two years or so ago
  • edited June 2019
    Over the last week I've been finding some great budget stuff (see my 3 related postings).  As much as I bitch about how albums keep disappearing, I always seem to find more than enough to keep me happy....
  • The problem for those of us this side of the Atlantic is that they are not budget. I saw something today, 80 plus tracks long that I liked, but its price, over £35, is ridiculous, when it is £4.99 at Amazon
  • greg said:
    The problem for those of us this side of the Atlantic is that they are not budget. I saw something today, 80 plus tracks long that I liked, but its price, over £35, is ridiculous, when it is £4.99 at Amazon

What @greg said
  • Well, it's over.  14 years and done.  I had already made up my mind but when I tried to reactivate so I could get my last 2 songs I got a real runaround of bad links and non-existing pages so I just sent them an e-mail I'm done with them.  What a bunch of maroons.  It was a hell of a ride but there is nothing left there I have any need of.  Have not missed them the last 2 1/2 months so there you have it.
  • Well, I have 12 days and 17 tracks left. Anything (outside of Blues/Classic) I absolutely should be downloading before it's all over?

Also, has anyone had contact with customer support lately? I asked about an album that disappeared/reappeared with a different track listing and wether they could reimburse me, but no reply other than the automated ones.
  • "Go and find your next album!"
    In this context, appropriate use of the singular.
  • “What are you waiting for?” 
    Well I was waiting for a better selection of music that might actually include my next album to be added to the site. Waited quite a long time, actually. Then I gave up.
  • And how does "listen to samples" even rate as a promotional feature?
  • I went on hold again two and a half months ago, so soon coming to an end. I've been searching through their current offering to see if I could spend my basic monthly credits when they arrive. There are a handful of albums that I  might download, but I suspect if I did I might only listen to them once. I might as well go to Spotify for that, but actually there are other albums available on Spotify that I'd prefer to listen to, to those I could get from eMusic. So that is it. For the second time I'm leaving, before my hold is up. Unless something drastic happens I won't be back this time. Given the latest cull, and the 7 digital issues, I'd be surprised if labels do return. It has been good, I've enjoyed much of the 12 years or so I've been a member, lots and lots of great music, looking out for Jonah's columns, checking out his recommendations, amc2's discussions with the Wanderer on the old message board etc. Thank you eMusic, but nothing stays still. 
  • @greg - Oh, man, the Wanderer.  Hadn't thought of him in years.   Those were entertaining times indeed.  Almost a month since I quit with months of hold prior and I'm not missing them at all.  The only thing I am missing are the albums I've read about recently that I might have been able to score there if they still actually had a selection.
  • I am the same. despite over a decade of growing addiction, the only time I even think about emusic now is when I see a new album I fancy and check down my mental list of places to check to see if it's cheaper. I think emusic actually spent the last year effectively weaning me off their site.